• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

grading/genetics question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ANGUS327 said:
$1043 to process 800lbs!! yikes!! Thats $1.30 a pound. Dosn't matter how good your beef is you will have a hard time making money at those prices.

OP says there were 2 steers. The cost would be to kill 2 and process 1600lbs. Still a large check to write :shock:

New data for an old post: Rib eye was 1.2,1.1 and I confess that I have no idea what that means. Carcass wt was 821 and 849 from 1366 and 1389.
And again, 21 days earlier,across elevator scales 1389 and 1430.

Not very happy with the processing. Ended up with, in my opinion, way too large of steaks-2.5 lb rib eye cut 11/4 inches is a very large cut of steak.

I was very concerned about the lack of increased nutrition plane but have sampled the ground and frankly impressed with the quality and taste. (my stomach does not like digesting fat and didn't mind this at all).

These steers had about the best grass available for our area. Over the last 15 yrs, it has been 100% organic- not originally intention, just worked out that way. The longer it went,the better it looked from the weed patch that it started out from, so I just kept doing the same thing and overseeding different grasses-(14 currently) selected for different maturity stages at different times of the yr.

My conclusion with this experiment is that it's probably no economical success although it produced beef that so far exceeded my expectations.
And it's probably not feasible to scale up to the numbers given the lack of access to profitable potential consumers.

Again, I sure appreciate all of the input from everyone. thanks.

Latest posts