• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Grafting some calves!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jeff in ca

Reaction score
66606_4527912922828_701266091_n.jpg

This cow lost her calf. Now she has two..
[/img]
486488_4527914442866_1509155177_n.jpg

Another shot..

Her calf was dead in the corral one morning I when I went to check on my cows. I skinned the calf and put on the jerseys. First time I ever have done that. I would say it worked pretty good. I only got her in the squeeze chute once. Then I keep the calves in the barn, apart from her, for three or four days. I feed them on her twice a day. She is usually standing at the barn door at feeding time.

We used vicks vapo rub on the cows nose and baby powder on the calves, it has worked or at least helped.

I use 1/4 cc xylazine and 2 cc's ace IV in the cow's tail vein. Wait about 5 minutes and start the new calf. You don't have to fight the cow and while she is waking up she sniffs the calf and thinks it is hers by the time she wakes up. It works almost every time with very little work.

having brought home a nasty scour bug doing that I;d have kicked her out or shipped her.I grafted one boughten scour factory and piled up 10 or 20 deads off of that little experiment. l ooks like it's working but thats a slippery slope for sure good luck to you...

Denny said:
having brought home a nasty scour bug doing that I;d have kicked her out or shipped her.I grafted one boughten scour factory and piled up 10 or 20 deads off of that little experiment. l ooks like it's working but thats a slippery slope for sure good luck to you...

I agree that anything brought in must be quarantined to keep bad bugs away from you herd.

I raised bottle calves all thru high school and had a pair of ½ Guernsey and ½ Jersey cows that would stand twice a day and let up to 4 calves nurse at the same time. I would start calves on them and about 4 weeks later they were on feed and milk replacer and get more calves. Worked great for me but I did not have a brood cow herd at the time.

I am wondering if a young person could get a start like that now. The dairy that supplied the calves would let me have the bulls free and in return I had to return the heifers at 90 days old - - - sometimes there would be more bulls and sometimes there would be more heifers and we adjusted and got along. Being as I was getting them all from one place I did not have many health problems but I will not even walk thru the local sale barn during calving time as I'm afraid of bringing something in.

George said:
Denny said:

I agree that anything brought in must be quarantined to keep bad bugs away from you herd.

I raised bottle calves all thru high school and had a pair of ½ Guernsey and ½ Jersey cows that would stand twice a day and let up to 4 calves nurse at the same time. I would start calves on them and about 4 weeks later they were on feed and milk replacer and get more calves. Worked great for me but I did not have a brood cow herd at the time.

I am wondering if a young person could get a start like that now. The dairy that supplied the calves would let me have the bulls free and in return I had to return the heifers at 90 days old - - - sometimes there would be more bulls and sometimes there would be more heifers and we adjusted and got along. Being as I was getting them all from one place I did not have many health problems but I will not even walk thru the local sale barn during calving time as I'm afraid of bringing something in.

Mine came from a farm problem was they bought LOTS of cows from all over creation dumb on my part.

I absolutely agree with Denny that outside calves are not worth it. If a set of twins is born early they are a great source. I keep a few old cows if they are bred to calve early in the season and go grab one of those calves when needed and then ship the old cow in early summer after she adds a little weight. Bought calves can cost a lot more than their initial price.

Like everything else we do, a graft can work just fine. IF you get it from a reputable outfit who you trust and its has been given plenty of colustrum and vaccinations. I have seen wrecks from scours and everytime it was a fly-by-night operation where the calves came from. Not saying any of ya'll are risky outfits. Practice smart bio-security and get a calf from a reputable outfit is my advice. But do what you want.........

The only ribbing i will give Jeff is why he went with jerseys? You can feed one for 3 years and ya still have a 700 pound sack of ribs when your done. :D

That is a good cow and i hope they work just fine for ya sir! :D

leanin' H said:
Like everything else we do, a graft can work just fine. IF you get it from a reputable outfit who you trust and its has been given plenty of colustrum and vaccinations. I have seen wrecks from scours and everytime it was a fly-by-night operation where the calves came from. Not saying any of ya'll are risky outfits. Practice smart bio-security and get a calf from a reputable outfit is my advice. But do what you want.........

The only ribbing i will give Jeff is why he went with jerseys? You can feed one for 3 years and ya still have a 700 pound sack of ribs when your done. :D

Oh, but H, Jerseys are always so CUTE! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Faster horses said:
leanin' H said:

Oh, but H, Jerseys are always so CUTE! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kind like a baby goat. :lol: :lol:

I get Jerseys because I have to go 120 miles to get calves for starters. The other reason is I only pay $10 a head for them. I reckon if I can wean them this Fall and make a couple hundred bucks. I have done pretty darn good.

jeff in ca said:
I get Jerseys because I have to go 120 miles to get calves for starters. The other reason is I only pay $10 a head for them. I reckon if I can wean them this Fall and make a couple hundred bucks. I have done pretty darn good.

I pick up what your puttin' down! :D :D Just had to rib ya a tad. Hope ya make out great with them.

Latest posts