• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Grass ID

Help Support Ranchers.net:

nortexsook

Reaction score
Any ideas? 7 inches from top ground. I think it is too short to be side oats grama but not sure at all

Kinda looks like foxtail barley, but the heads are blurry in the pic.

Do they look like this before they ripen?

Edited: I just realized by studying the picture that there are multiple flowers on one stem? If so disregard my idea! :D

Looks similar to Side Oats Gramma, but the feathery seed head are different from the ones I see around here.

nortexsook said:
Agree Jake. The side oats you see here are taller and the seed head is not feathery.

We have had it that short before in a poor year, it's really a fairly rare grass to have unless its poor soil quality, at least in our area.

I'm almost certain it is Texas grama (Bouteloua rigidiseta). You might google the scientific name and look at images. It is fairly common in SW OK. A book that might interest you is "Grasses of Southern Oklahoma and North Texas: A Pictoral Guide" by Chuck Coffee and Russell Stevens. I have more references, but this one is more user friendly without all that technical stuff. Hope that helps. Eric

Cool. Thanks. This picture was taken 3 miles Southeast of Hollister, Oklahoma in SW Oklahoma.

Glad I can help. If you are ranching, it ain't got much forage to go with it. Not much wildlife value, either. We have that one on some parts of Ft Sill. Not so much where I hang out east of Lawton.

You're living in the promise land where it rains. I ranch west of Grandfield, Oklahoma and around Wichita Falls, Texas.

Always had that in the pasture in Oklahoma but never as much as this year.

Silver said:
Do they look like this before they ripen?

Edited: I just realized by studying the picture that there are multiple flowers on one stem? If so disregard my idea! :D

Silver I'm seeing something very similar to this pic all around central Texas. Seems to be taking over the sides of the roads and moving into pastures pretty quickly. What is it??

It's Foxtail Barley. It can be a pain in pastures and poorer stands of hay but generally not too serious. If cows get eating it when it's dry it's not uncommon for it to get lodged in the mouth.

Silver said:
It's Foxtail Barley. It can be a pain in pastures and poorer stands of hay but generally not too serious. If cows get eating it when it's dry it's not uncommon for it to get lodged in the mouth.

It's very common to see Foxtail Barley in the meadows in this country, out on the range there is something that looks similar. It is called Squirrel Tail Bottle Brush. http://extension.usu.edu/rangeplants/htm/bottlebrush-squirreltail

Latest posts