• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ground load trailer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

redbull

Reaction score
I've noticed many interesting threads regarding fabrication ideas. I'm looking for ideas to build a ground load trailer to pull behind a semi tractor. We haul pairs to pasture and need to get away from the pick-up and 5th wheel trailer. Has any one converted a flat bed semi trailer to a ground load livestock trailer? What about converting a pot? WE need to keep the total trailer length under 45' to allow for manuvering in and out of pastures... Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Andy

Reaction score
Someone up by Lemmon SD has converted some pots to groundloads but the are spendy. ChuckHenry.com sells wat the call a Cow-tainer that I think would work for you.

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Norberts in Glenboro, Manitoba make a nice groundload and i have seen a straight deck with a ground load built on the back in Fortuna North Dakota didn't look to bad.

Denny

Reaction score
The place I used to work at built them. The cows had to step up into the back then step up 2 ft. to get over the axel's.The king pin area was about a foot higher than the main floor.

Manitoba_Rancher

Reaction score
Big Muddy rancher said:
Norberts in Glenboro, Manitoba make a nice groundload and i have seen a straight deck with a ground load built on the back in Fortuna North Dakota didn't look to bad.

The Norberts groundload is really nice and well built too. I have a friend who has one and they haul bulls all the time with it and it stands up real well.

YoungFarmer

Reaction score
The cheapest way we found was to convert a 45 foot drive van trailer with sliding axles to haul cattle. We just cut 2 holes in the front and 18x18 inch holes along the top of the sides of the trailer, made a divider and lined the walls with plywood. We then had a custom stock trailer door made for the back. We found it a lot easier to instead to just build a portable loading shute with 2 steel panels and frame, wood floor, 2 tires with a removeable ball hitch. Its not as convenient but i even seen one guy use a potbelly and just pulled his loading chute behind his semitrailer with a ball hitch. We can load of pasture or if needed we have reloaded from a smaller trailer to the semi trailer parked on the road. Using the Dryvan we only have $3,500 invested and can haul 23 cows. Depends how much you want to spend.

OldDog/NewTricks

Reaction score
Andy said:
Someone up by Lemmon SD has converted some pots to groundloads but the are spendy. ChuckHenry.com sells wat the call a Cow-tainer that I think would work for you.

I think your talking about what we call "Step-In Trailers"

Interesting

http://www.chuckhenry.com/livestock.htm

Big Muddy rancher said:

http://www.norberts.com/index.php?p=triple

The PDF file here looks good

YoungFarmer said:
The cheapest way we found was to convert a 45 foot drive van trailer with sliding axles to haul cattle. We just cut 2 holes in the front and 18x18 inch holes along the top of the sides of the trailer, made a divider and lined the walls with plywood. We then had a custom stock trailer door made for the back. We found it a lot easier to instead to just build a portable loading shute with 2 steel panels and frame, wood floor, 2 tires with a removeable ball hitch. Its not as convenient but i even seen one guy use a potbelly and just pulled his loading chute behind his semitrailer with a ball hitch. We can load of pasture or if needed we have reloaded from a smaller trailer to the semi trailer parked on the road. Using the Dryvan we only have $3,500 invested and can haul 23 cows. Depends how much you want to spend.

Seems to me that the walls would be weak

My old dog (passed on) could cut 2 or 3 head out and Pasture Load them - - I know of several other dogs that can Cut and Pasture Load

Kate/wy

Reaction score
Lordy don't we all miss those GOOD old dogs that would respond to our thoughts, before the word was given? Surely miss mine, one in a million.

Andy

Reaction score
I don't see the cow-tainers on the Chuck henry website. Is what they did was take a shiping container and cut holes in the sides and then set them on stepdecks, flatbeds or container chassis. i think a guy could build a cheap cattle hauler out of one of them pretty easy.

Latest posts