• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ground load trailer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

redbull

Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I've noticed many interesting threads regarding fabrication ideas. I'm looking for ideas to build a ground load trailer to pull behind a semi tractor. We haul pairs to pasture and need to get away from the pick-up and 5th wheel trailer. Has any one converted a flat bed semi trailer to a ground load livestock trailer? What about converting a pot? WE need to keep the total trailer length under 45' to allow for manuvering in and out of pastures... Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
 

Andy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
399
Reaction score
0
Location
south east central SD
Someone up by Lemmon SD has converted some pots to groundloads but the are spendy. ChuckHenry.com sells wat the call a Cow-tainer that I think would work for you.
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
22,067
Reaction score
285
Location
Big Muddy valley
Norberts in Glenboro, Manitoba make a nice groundload and i have seen a straight deck with a ground load built on the back in Fortuna North Dakota didn't look to bad.
 

Denny

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
5,624
Reaction score
0
Location
Mn usa
The place I used to work at built them. The cows had to step up into the back then step up 2 ft. to get over the axel's.The king pin area was about a foot higher than the main floor.
 

Manitoba_Rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,117
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Big Muddy rancher said:
Norberts in Glenboro, Manitoba make a nice groundload and i have seen a straight deck with a ground load built on the back in Fortuna North Dakota didn't look to bad.

The Norberts groundload is really nice and well built too. I have a friend who has one and they haul bulls all the time with it and it stands up real well.
 

YoungFarmer

Active member
Joined
Jun 28, 2005
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Location
SouthernManitoba
The cheapest way we found was to convert a 45 foot drive van trailer with sliding axles to haul cattle. We just cut 2 holes in the front and 18x18 inch holes along the top of the sides of the trailer, made a divider and lined the walls with plywood. We then had a custom stock trailer door made for the back. We found it a lot easier to instead to just build a portable loading shute with 2 steel panels and frame, wood floor, 2 tires with a removeable ball hitch. Its not as convenient but i even seen one guy use a potbelly and just pulled his loading chute behind his semitrailer with a ball hitch. We can load of pasture or if needed we have reloaded from a smaller trailer to the semi trailer parked on the road. Using the Dryvan we only have $3,500 invested and can haul 23 cows. Depends how much you want to spend.
 

OldDog/NewTricks

Well-known member
Joined
May 24, 2005
Messages
3,443
Reaction score
0
Location
The Dam End of Silicon Valley
Andy said:
Someone up by Lemmon SD has converted some pots to groundloads but the are spendy. ChuckHenry.com sells wat the call a Cow-tainer that I think would work for you.

I think your talking about what we call "Step-In Trailers"

Interesting

http://www.chuckhenry.com/livestock.htm

Big Muddy rancher said:
Norberts in Glenboro, Manitoba make a nice groundload and i have seen a straight deck with a ground load built on the back in Fortuna North Dakota didn't look to bad.

http://www.norberts.com/index.php?p=triple

The PDF file here looks good

YoungFarmer said:
The cheapest way we found was to convert a 45 foot drive van trailer with sliding axles to haul cattle. We just cut 2 holes in the front and 18x18 inch holes along the top of the sides of the trailer, made a divider and lined the walls with plywood. We then had a custom stock trailer door made for the back. We found it a lot easier to instead to just build a portable loading shute with 2 steel panels and frame, wood floor, 2 tires with a removeable ball hitch. Its not as convenient but i even seen one guy use a potbelly and just pulled his loading chute behind his semitrailer with a ball hitch. We can load of pasture or if needed we have reloaded from a smaller trailer to the semi trailer parked on the road. Using the Dryvan we only have $3,500 invested and can haul 23 cows. Depends how much you want to spend.

Seems to me that the walls would be weak

My old dog (passed on) could cut 2 or 3 head out and Pasture Load them - - I know of several other dogs that can Cut and Pasture Load
 

Kate/wy

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
107
Reaction score
0
Location
ne/wy
Lordy don't we all miss those GOOD old dogs that would respond to our thoughts, before the word was given? Surely miss mine, one in a million.
 

Andy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
399
Reaction score
0
Location
south east central SD
I don't see the cow-tainers on the Chuck henry website. Is what they did was take a shiping container and cut holes in the sides and then set them on stepdecks, flatbeds or container chassis. i think a guy could build a cheap cattle hauler out of one of them pretty easy.
 

Latest posts

Top