• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Growth promotants make tough meat

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I guess one solution would be to use the implants to increase efficiency and use genetics to outwiegh the "side-effects"

Are we looking at genetics enough when it comes to tenderness? Four factors, when it comes to tenderness. Genetics, environment (management), marbling, and mechanical manipulation.

I guess you can say that marbling is also management, but it's affected by the same factors, so the only varaiable we have control over is genetics, all others are treated the same.

There aren't too many that manage one animal differently than another, especially large scale. And packers don't manage carcasses any differently (except for marketing), if they are using mechanical tenderness methods, they treat them all the same.

Looks to me as genetics might be a tool that could be used and promoted, with a savings down the "loin", actually mistyped that, but it fits!!

Latest posts