• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Haines rodeo

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
We went to the Haines rodeo today. I have been to a ton of rodeos. This one had to be the slowest sloppiest run show I have ever been to. We left after 2 1/2 hours and they weren't half done. I wont bother to go there again. One of my problems is the president of the committee is a friend of mine. We attend the same church. We have gone fishing together. He has an ag repair shop. I had him mount the loader on one of my tractors. Etc. Do I tell him what I think of the way things were run? I talked briefly to Bert while there. I said I have been in too many well run rodeos to take much more of this. He replied that he has been to the NFR 20 times. Twice as big a rodeo that goes off like clock work. He said every member of the Haines committee should go to see how a well run rodeo works.

We went to the Haines rodeo today. I have been to a ton of rodeos. This one had to be the slowest sloppiest run show I have ever been to. We left after 2 1/2 hours and they weren't half done. I wont bother to go there again. One of my problems is the president of the committee is a friend of mine. We attend the same church. We have gone fishing together. He has an ag repair shop. I had him mount the loader on one of my tractors. Etc. Do I tell him what I think of the way things were run? I talked briefly to Bert while there. I said I have been in too many well run rodeos to take much more of this. He replied that he has been to the NFR 20 times. Twice as big a rodeo that goes off like clock work. He said every member of the Haines committee should go to see how a well run rodeo works.
Yep. You should tell him. I'm sure you would do it in a nice way...

That is just the way I remember it, slow and disorganized. Nothing much changes in Baker County it seems. I would recommend the Joseph rodeo if it is still like it once was.

That is just the way I remember it, slow and disorganized. Nothing much changes in Baker County it seems. I would recommend the Joseph rodeo if it is still like it once was.
Been to Joseph. It was nearly 50 years ago. Had a much better seat than sitting in the grand stands. I have been to enough of them I tend not to go. We do have tickets to Pendleton this year. Been nearly 50 years since I was there last and the wife has never gone so we will go act as tourists for a day.
Actually we just went to Haines because we knew a couple young guys who entered the ranch bronc riding. One in particular we were cheering for the bronc. I will say the horse did not fail us.

Been to Joseph. It was nearly 50 years ago. Had a much better seat than sitting in the grand stands. I have been to enough of them I tend not to go. We do have tickets to Pendleton this year. Been nearly 50 years since I was there last and the wife has never gone so we will go act as tourists for a day.
Actually we just went to Haines because we knew a couple young guys who entered the ranch bronc riding. One in particular we were cheering for the bronc. I will say the horse did not fail us.
The last time I was at Cheif Joseph Days rodeo was when Bob Tallman was announcing and had some stock there. That was the early 1980s I think. I remember that rodeo because it was blazing hot so I was wearing jean shorts, a homemade wrap crop top, shorty boots made by a BC bootmaker, and my custom made in Colorado100x beaver flat-brimmed hat. We were in the uncovered stands and an ice-cold rain suddenly appeared off the Eagle Caps and it was a drencher. It was a 30-degree drop in a few minutes. Everyone was soaked, cold, and shivering and I was fighting the crowd, going to my pickup to dry off and some thieving coyote stole my expensive hat right off my head since it shed water better than a duck's back. By the time I got to my pickup, my boots had water in them. Luckily George was able to stretch them and take out the shrinkage. I still miss that lightweight all-season hat. Recently I contacted a young couple that makes hats in Colorado. They can duplicate that hat for $750.

The last rodeo I was at was about 10 years ago and both the stock and riders were a disappointment after all the hype advertising it and an old friend insisting I accompany him. While he had ridden some broncs and bulls in his time, his younger days at rodeos were mostly as a paramedic. Anyway, there wasn't one ride worth remembering. The clowns "bullfighters" were the only outstanding performance with one that could rush the bull, grab his horns and summersault over the bulls back. If I remember right there wasn't one qualifying bull ride and the bulls were a bit lethargic in my opinion.

I used to love rodeos. Had friends that participated. One was a PRCA bulldogger, calf roper and team roper (for anyone who is interested 🤣😂🤣) but they have lost some of their flavor for us. Deadwood Days of '76 is a good rodeo. Bleachers are pretty much shot, but it's always a good rodeo. Rapid City, SD has NEVER had a good rodeo, anyway, the ones we have attended. The announcers always talk about FOOTBALL. Yeah, football at a rodeo. 😣
We attended the Pendleton Roundup several years ago. It was HOT. Like REALLY HOT. Our seats were way up high, like WAY HIGH but there was a little breeze that came through the space behind us that helped some. We were glad we went, especially liked the parade and we aren't all that much into parades (except little local town parades like the one 'H was in) but we really enjoyed the Pendleton Roundup Parade. Some big longhorn cattle was in it but they decided they weren't going one step further and...they didn't. They were hot too. We heard a little insight about that, but I won't mention it here. Seems that team of oxen got new handlers...enuff said...
One of the best things, we did meet Nicky and Mike there...The parade was very patriotic!! And horses! I love horses!

Attachments

• Pendleton trip 9-8-13 076.JPG
    Pendleton trip 9-8-13 076.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2663.JPG
    IMG_2663.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2697.JPG
    IMG_2697.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2701.JPG
    IMG_2701.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2713.JPG
    IMG_2713.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2746.JPG
    IMG_2746.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 46
That Haines redeo needs a stock contractor like Ralph McLean or Reg Kesler (both gone now). Things went slow and somebody would get the cussing of their life. If you were never cussed by Reg, you have never really been cussed out. I remember Ralph saying my rodeos are done in 2 1/2 hours. No excuses.

You folks need to remember…. Small town clubs rely on their local rodeo for a big portion of the yearly income. The longer the rodeo takes, the more beer, pop, hot dogs and hamburgers get sold. As arena manager of our rodeo I have to remind the stock contractor that our weekend is his holiday. I will not allow him to bark at contestants to hurry up. Only happens once a year and we want to make the most of it!

You folks need to remember…. Small town clubs rely on their local rodeo for a big portion of the yearly income. The longer the rodeo takes, the more beer, pop, hot dogs and hamburgers get sold. As arena manager of our rodeo I have to remind the stock contractor that our weekend is his holiday. I will not allow him to bark at contestants to hurry up. Only happens once a year and we want to make the most of it!
It wasn't the contestants who slow this one down. It is just disorganized. They don't have their own concessions. There was 4 or 5 of those concession trailers that other pulled in. I assume that they pay to be there. Is it on a percentage or a flat rate? But I also saw a big number of people in the grandstands who packed in their own coolers. I know lots of places where you don't do that.

We have our own concession so depend on those dollars. Not sure what the percentage of contract ones are. It takes a person with gall to bring their own food!
I was roping at a rodeo on one of the local reserves here years back. It was 4:30 in the afternoon when the announcer called that it was intermission time so they could get more organized. The contestants had been rebuilding chutes and pens all day! It was quite a performance but we got second in spite of roping at 7 pm and having been there since noon.

The Haines Stampede has always been loosely organized. I have been several times over the years and it is always the same. People take their coolers because it is the world's slowest rodeo and they know they are going to be there late unless they come just to see one event and that event is an early one. Just so much of that food booth food can be tolerated. I determined years ago that all the delays and messing about was planned and efficiency just isn't part of the rodeo. Many used to come just to party, so time wasn't of the essence.

Last edited:
We have our own concession so depend on those dollars. Not sure what the percentage of contract ones are. It takes a person with gall to bring their own food!
I would guess that between a quarter and a third of the people brought their own cooler. Not the couples or single families but the larger extended families seemed to all have a cooler. And there is a lot of them. The concessions weren't hurting based on the lines. At least the ones selling food. The only one I dealt with was a 4H group only selling soda or gator-aide. They were busy but just walk up hand them you money and they hand you a soda.... next.
$10 a head admission and my calculated estimate is 1,800-2,000 people. The rodeo is their main event for the year but they do have a ranch rodeo in a month or so. Ropings. Other things happen there.

The last time I was at Cheif Joseph Days rodeo was when Bob Tallman was announcing and had some stock there. That was the early 1980s I think. I remember that rodeo because it was blazing hot so I was wearing jean shorts, a homemade wrap crop top, shorty boots made by a BC bootmaker, and my custom made in Colorado100x beaver flat-brimmed hat. We were in the uncovered stands and an ice-cold rain suddenly appeared off the Eagle Caps and it was a drencher. It was a 30-degree drop in a few minutes. Everyone was soaked, cold, and shivering and I was fighting the crowd, going to my pickup to dry off and some thieving coyote stole my expensive hat right off my head since it shed water better than a duck's back. By the time I got to my pickup, my boots had water in them. Luckily George was able to stretch them and take out the shrinkage. I still miss that lightweight all-season hat. Recently I contacted a young couple that makes hats in Colorado. They can duplicate that hat for $750.

The last rodeo I was at was about 10 years ago and both the stock and riders were a disappointment after all the hype advertising it and an old friend insisting I accompany him. While he had ridden some broncs and bulls in his time, his younger days at rodeos were mostly as a paramedic. Anyway, there wasn't one ride worth remembering. The clowns "bullfighters" were the only outstanding performance with one that could rush the bull, grab his horns and summersault over the bulls back. If I remember right there wasn't one qualifying bull ride and the bulls were a bit lethargic in my opinion.
I grew up in Joseph. You could count on at least one performance being a soaker. I hope there's a lot of rain this year. All of Eastern Oregon could use it

I grew up in Joseph and spent a lot of time volunteering. It didn't stop that rodeo from being well run. But, yes, volunteer and make it better.

Farm City in Hermiston is one of the better ones IMO

I grew up in Joseph and spent a lot of time volunteering. It didn't stop that rodeo from being well run. But, yes, volunteer and make it better.

Farm City in Hermiston is one of the better ones IMO
Yes, it is! My problem with it is it doesn't start till 7:30 PM this year and will last till 10:30 or longer for all of the nights Aug 11 -14. It was planned to cater to the evening party crowd. They need to make all the money they can to help with the new arena and fair grounds. Also, this leaves the afternoon for shopping time to stop by the giant Ranch and Home store and part with some serious cash.

Last edited:
We attended the Pendleton Roundup several years ago. It was HOT. Like REALLY HOT. Our seats were way up high, like WAY HIGH but there was a little breeze that came through the space behind us that helped some. We were glad we went, especially liked the parade and we aren't all that much into parades (except little local town parades like the one 'H was in) but we really enjoyed the Pendleton Roundup Parade. Some big longhorn cattle was in it but they decided they weren't going one step further and...they didn't. They were hot too.
For some real heat, FH, you needed to come several more miles west. I go to Pendleton to cool off. I was a bit surprised to hear the Longhorns living a cooler life in Pendleton rebelled. They must have heard the rumor that Hill meats is doing only pork and copped an attitude or they may have rebelled because they didn't want to be seen with that guy in a fringed leather jacket trying to pull them. The oxen were thinking, if he is so cold-blooded he needs a leather jacket in this heat and so strong he can pull us along, he should just pull the wagon himself hahaha!

Last edited:
For some real heat, FH, you needed to come several more miles west. I go to Pendleton to cool off. I was a bit surprised to hear the Longhorns living a cooler life in Pendleton rebelled. They must have heard the rumor that Hill meats is doing only pork and copped an attitude or they may have rebelled because they didn't want to be seen with that guy in a fringed leather jacket trying to pull them. The oxen were thinking, if he is so cold-blooded he needs a leather jacket in this heat and so strong he can pull us along, he should just pull the wagon himself hahaha!
Love it!
The story was the guy who got the longhorns early on was really good with them. Then they took them away from him or he retired, I don't remember. Anyway, those who we spoke to that knew, said these handlers weren't good,
which was obvious. I think they finally had to unhook them. They should have been embarrassed.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink; but you can drive him and make him thirsty.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A real good friend of ours moved to Pendleton; her kids live there and have a shop. She's liking it there.

Latest posts