• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

handling & feeding cake

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We learned that our last nutrition meeting--a little urea in the right amount can help. A little goes a long ways.
This is a good informative thread.

LCP thanks for the explanation on Roughage Buster/biuret. No one around here uses it so it isn't something I know
anything about, just heard some about it. I didn't understand the 1/4 oz thing. What keeps them from overeating
it?

K State did some work showing that a small amount of urea is beneficial for gains on grazing yearlings.

All urea is NPN, but not all NPN is urea.

FH - It is mixed in with the free-choice mineral. If they are eating 3 oz/day of the regular mineral w/o biuret or urea, I guess they should get 5 oz or so with it in there. The mineral I used a few years ago was a specific blend for use on grazing cornstalks. Extra vitamin A or something. It wasn't Roughage Buster though, it was a blend from my nutritionist. Not sure why I went away from it to be honest. RIght now I'm using some winter-formulated mineral from him with a little urea in it. Overconsumption is not a problem if the mineral is mixed right and a person pays attention to intake. I make sure they never see the bottom of the feeder and keep track of how many bags and how often I'm putting them in. A benefit of having it custom mixed is that if I have problems with consumption it can be remedied on the next load.

Latest posts