• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hanging Tree Dogs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

I was looking at Brandinspectors Hanging Tree Dog pictures- nice looking dogs...

I know I've heard it before- but with my oldtimers at work again I've forgot-- where do the Hanging Tree dogs come from and how did they come about?....

I raise Border Collies, that are pretty well known thruout the area as good working dogs (good bite for a border collie) and I have a young neighbor that has bought 2 females from me-- the older red dog just had pups sired by his Hanging Tree male...Since both dogs are really good cow workers, we think they may make some excellent cattle dogs...

The mom, worked cows all day- laid down on the floorboard of the pickup on the way home and had 9 pups- and was whining to go with him again the next morning-- Now thats Dedicated help :wink: :lol: ....

Hanging tree... I know the guy who started the breed also did Hanging Tree Australian Shepherds and now does Hanging Tree Border cColies as well, I talked to a breeder at one point about buying a HTCD but decided against it..

If I remember right tehy are Australian Shepherds X Kelpies X BC and some Catahola thrown in for searching and toughness... I might be missing something but I am going from memory here and it has been 2-3 years since I looked.

We have a Hanging Tree Aussie female that came from Roy MT from the lady that bought out Gary Ericssons Aussie's when he was starting the cowdog line. I have lost track of Gary but I think Trayers in Kansas or somewhere down south has them now.

Big Muddy rancher said:
We have a Hanging Tree Aussie female that came from Roy MT from the lady that bought out Gary Ericssons Aussie's when he was starting the cowdog line. I have lost track of Gary but I think Trayers in Kansas or somewhere down south has them now.

I'll have to ask Kirk where he came up with this one at - but I think I remember them saying something about it coming from down south- when they were on a trip back from Texas or something.....I do remember his wife making comments about how much he payed for it :roll: :lol:

I've been half tempted to look at a Hanging Tree female as all my females are getting really old- altho other days I think I should stay with the pureblood Border Collies...

Hi folks. The Hangin' Tree crosses started in Salmon, Idaho, I believe. That is where Gary and Choc Erickson were living at the time.

http://www.garyericssoncowdogs.com/ This is a link to Gary's website, where I think the most accurate breeding history can be found. For some reason, the australian shepherd in these dogs doesn't get mentioned on some websites.

I've only had these dogs for a couple of years, so don't know where a lot of them are at. Would be interested in knowing who has these dogs in the area.

I'm in central ND, and have some more info on these dogs if anyone would like me to send it to them (e-mail). Also have a couple pups for sale.

The Border Collie I have now is from the Ericsson line. From Idaho. I see on the website where they do clinics for training, that'd be a fun thing to do. But there's not but two clinics listed for this year, and neither of them are anywhere close to me. :(

Gary Erickson originated hanging cowtree dogs didn't he?

The ones I was around I'll still take a border collie.

Gary and the late Choc Erickson originated this breed of dogs. They did a lot of wild cattle gathering in mountain country and were looking for a dog with characteristics that would suit this difficult task when they began.

Gary has several videos out that are very interesting if anyone's looking to better their dogmanship. Pretty impressive to see what these guys can do with wild cattle, as well. This and more can be found on his previously posted website.

i am looking for a pup to take the place of my bc/red healer is is 11 years old and has three legs since and accident 5 years ago. still has the urge to come out and help with the stock, age is a big factor in him being very effective, i have read a lot about the hangin tree dogs and am interested in purchasing a pup or even a started dog. you can reach me at my email [email protected]

Latest posts