• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hantavirus

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Whole community has been very concerned for one of our local Doctors (OB/GYN) for the last few days...Became ill last week and was put on the respirator and flown to Billings- was confirmed as Hantivirus- pretty nip and tuck over the weekend, but we got word today that he is improving and has been removed from the respirator...

Word is that he had been cleaning out some old buildings and his garage a week or two ago-- that is bad stuff... Wife came home today with 2 of the cloth masks for me to wear now in the grainery and barns :roll: Like I told her- by the time I remember the mask ( or even remember where we put them) I'll be half done with the job...

I didn't think that Hantavirus was that far north. Mostly in desert areas of Colorado, NM, Nevada.

Something else to take into account.

Neighbor has an old school bus painted Bronco orange and blue which she kept from the seller of her property for a play area for her kids.

I went into it once and it was covered with mouse and rat dropping from front to rear. It has been sitting where it is for 12 years now and no one goes near it.

The oens I heard about were cleaning out old cabins... I seem to remember a gal being treated for it at Bozeman Deaconess while I lived up there... But it might have just been a story on the news and someone, over the years I had my mind came to believe that it was a case in Bozeman.

quote="Cowpuncher"]I didn't think that Hantavirus was that far north. Mostly in desert areas of Colorado, NM, Nevada.

Actually this is the 27th confirmed case in Montana...We've had at least 6 deaths.....This is the first for our county, but had a previous case in a neighboring county....Remember much of Montana is just borderline desert.....

It is carried by the deer mouse....Some of the studies done back in the late 90's by MSU showed that 10-20% of those tested were carriers of the virus......

We have Hantavirus here too,a family of three died last spring cleaning out an old grainery,I've given greg the masks too but he won't wear one :?
If cleaning out a grainary or something,leave door open for a couple hours to air it out, don't sweep,or disturb the droppings a spray bottle with bleach and water mix,spray droppings,leave,then clean it... WEAR a mask!!!

When I read Hantavirus, I thought it had something to do with Hanta Yo. lol. But on a serious note, we have to be careful with these things, another danger to farmers.

BLEACH WATER AND GLOVES AND AN N-95 mask (they are the best) will work wonders for you in the fight agains hantavirus!!! our little hospital does not even charge for the masks if you tell the nurses what you need it for!!! The scary thing about this virus is the incubation period can be 2 weeks and most folks think they are just coming down with "a chest cold"...but the symptoms quickly worsen and before you know it, you are on a flight to a major medical facility and on a respirator!! The signs also mimic the human form of Parvo...which the hubby had in January!! Scared me witless...thought I was losing him and the symptoms were like hanta.....hit ya quick and without much warning!! If you are cleaning anything with mouse droppings, please take precautions!!! Don't wanna hear of any of our Ranchers family ending up like OT's doctor/friend!!
God Bless
Kris

It should be a no-brainer: do I pay for
a few masks and inconvenience
OR hospitalization
OR a casket?

Remember when some folks were mocking the hurricane victims for
thinking the govt should always be available to bail them out?
It is the same scenario except here it is thinking we can always count on medicine to bail us out instead of taking precautions ourselves.

nr said:
OR hospitalization
OR a casket?

It is the same scenario except here it is thinking we can always count on medicine to bail us out instead of taking precautions ourselves.

excellent and wise advice, nr!!!! How very true!! Unfortunately, the average rancher around here really does not have the time to go hunting for masks and gloves before cleaning out the old ranch-hands house (as was our case) or sweeping out the old barn loft!! This is why I keep gloves and masks here at home!! :D

A guy from up around Turner died from it a few years back...kinda caught the whole hi-line by surprise as we'd never seen it there before. Made ya think going into those old graineries, and still does now...

nr said:
OR hospitalization
OR a casket?

Sooo true nr,Hantavirus is nothing to play with! Like ranchwife,the gloves and masks are available at our house,its just a matter of using them...maybe greg and a few others will get the point reading your post :D

Just as an update-- The good Dr. has recovered well enough that he was able to return to work today :) :) Very Lucky fella......

Oldtimer said:
Just as an update-- The good Dr. has recovered well enough that he was able to return to work today :) :) Very Lucky fella......

That's GREAT NEWS, OT. Thanks for the update. It's pretty scarey to be cleaning out something, and to nearly die from it. So please, everyone, take to heart all the posts on this thread.

BTW, Hanta Yo has nothing to do with the Hanta Virus, it is a war cry by the Lakota Sioux, it means "Clear The Way" 8)

Stay healthy, everybody

Hanta Yo

AP--- New Virus discovered

A new and deadly virus called Hanta Yo Virus has been discovered on the Sioux Nation reserve.

Apparently mice yelling a blood curdling squeek carry the virus.
If you hear a mouse do this get to your doctor immediately.

An antidote of vodka and orange juice seems to control the symptoms, however the antidote has also cause some problems of it's own.

Local liquor stores report some clients trying to self medicate for the Hanta Yo virus. They have been warned to watch out for anyone looking like they will drink the vodka without the orange juice.

Jason said:

A new and deadly virus called Hanta Yo Virus has been discovered on the Sioux Nation reserve.

An antidote of vodka and orange juice seems to control the symptoms, however the antidote has also cause some problems of it's own.

Local liquor stores report some clients trying to self medicate for the Hanta Yo virus. They have been warned to watch out for anyone looking like they will drink the vodka without the orange juice.

GET HIM, HANTA YO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:

ranchwife said:
Jason said:

GET HIM, HANTA YO!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Made me laugh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought that was a goodun' :wink: :wink:

Jason said:

:shock: :shock: How did YOU know that :shock: :shock: :wink:

I guess I asked for that one :shock: :wink:

Latest posts