• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Happy Dance

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Denny

Reaction score
Added another 120 acres to my land base today. Deal has been in the works for 10 months but today the wife gave the go ahead and I did'nt waste any time on it. Was going to do the ask forgiveness vs. permission but chickened out either way.

:lol: Happy Happy Happy

I'm thinkin Yer a self made man Denny! Good woman makes it go a lot easier.

Congratulations Denny. Permission is always the smarter way to go. Maybe does mean yes!

What did you get, crop or pasture land?

gcreekrch said:
Congratulations Denny. Permission is always the smarter way to go. Maybe does mean yes!

What did you get, crop or pasture land?

Tied most of my uncle's place together. I had origionally bought 320 acres 2 years ago of 400 on the south side of the gravel road. My cousin had sold the furthest west 40 to a guy and he never made a payment so I ended up with that and then the furthest southeast 40 acres.It's a correction section so it's 1 1/4 miles long and I was missing a corner on each end so it's squared up again. Then the last 40 is across the gravel on the far ne 1/4. to the north.

Northwest 40 acres is about 10 acres hayland rest open pasture with a mobile home,older corrals,and a 5 acre grove of mature white oaks which will have my new house in it in the next 5 to 10 years.

SE 40 acres is mixed open and wooded pasture with a gravel pit.

Ne 40 acres across road is 10 acres hay land 30 acres open pasture which is where we normally run our yearling heifers it will handle 30 heifers for 5 months easy.

With a 160 more acres I lease touching this it makes 600 acres in one chunk which for my country is a big piece of ground under one management.It will run a 100 cows suppleying pasture and hay year round without fertilizer as thats what my uncle did for over 25 years I'm planing on some fertilizer to bump up some production.

Most all of my other land I own or lease is with in walking distance for cows with 4 miles away being the farthest. Other than one farm thats 9 miles away but thats a smaller pasture and only handles 25 pairs which is 2 loads in the spring and on my way to my house.

Congratulations, Denny. Peach and I were both impressed with your area and your uncle's place that you now have, when our heifers were up there in the summer of 2012. You did good, and we are happy for you.

Congrats. Expansion is fun, especially when it is in the right place.

Awesome to hear! You'll own most of Minnesota someday at the rate your adding land... :D

R A said:
Awesome to hear! You'll own most of Minnesota someday at the rate your adding land... :D

We had a old black gentleman live up towards Big Beaver. He used to say" I don't want the whole pie, but i'd like my finger in it pullin' it towards me". :D

He also drove a old Model T with a hand painted sign on the front "License Applied For" :lol: :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
R A said:

We had a old black gentleman live up towards Big Beaver. He used to say" I don't want the whole pie, but i'd like my finger in it pullin' it towards me". :D

He also drove a old Model T with a hand painted sign on the front "License Applied For" :lol: :lol:

:D There could be some lessons to be learned out there....meaning a lot of things are more awesomeester than what you drive...:D I used to live by a guy in Iowa that liked land....had flashlights wired to the front of his junker car for headlights.... :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
If you have good gravel on it that's becoming like gold. :wink:

Just ask George. :D :D

If there is any construction going on gravel can be quite profitable - - - just buy equipment you can pay for!

The last 3 years there has been next to no new construction in the county - - - the economy will come back if I live long enough and I have no debt so I will survive. Right now Silver Gray German Shepherd pups are the biggest money makers on the place - - - My grandfather told me a long time ago it does not cost any more to raise top of the line dogs than mutts. If I let the females raise 1 litter a year and they average 8 pups I will rake in about $6,000 to $7,000 per bitch in a year ( some of the puppy mills will get 5 litters in a 2 year period ).

I guess with no sheep I could say I raise Cattle for pride and pups for profit.

3 years ago I would complain if I only sold 100 loads of gravel a week but the last 3 years I have sold about 150 loads a year - - - laid off all my full time employees and just run everything by myself. You must realize I am the only gravel pit in about 50 miles in any direction. The people are not getting gravel else ware - - - they are just not buying!

Big Muddy rancher said:
R A said:

Had an old guy (he owned several sections) tell me that he didn't want to own ALL the land in the county, just everything that "Joined" his land. :wink:

Mike said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
R A said:

Had an old guy (he owned several sections) tell me that he didn't want to own ALL the land in the county, just everything that "Joined" his land. :wink:

I gave about twice what the farm south of me was worth so that I would have access road to road - - - the price per acre was too high but the extra convince was worth the extra price. I would not have paid that much for any other ground of it's type. This saves me money every time I haul to the south as it cuts time and miles off of every trip.

There is a quarter coming up that adjoins us kitty corner. I don't know what they will want for it, probably 150K or so. I know conventional wisdom is bu y buy buy, but if I don't need it is it worth packing the extra debt?

Oh, and congrats on your purchase Denny!

Faster horses said:
I don't think you ever go wrong buying the place adjoining you, if you can.
Sometimes you only get that opportunity once in a lifetime.

But if you continuously keep buying the places that joins you, there is no end in sight. :wink:

Latest posts