• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

hauling a horse through mt wy sd?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ksvdberg

Reaction score
Hi all newbie here. I am trying to find out what they us laws are for pulling a horse trailer on the roads in mt, wy and sd. Anyone know if you need to pull in to weigh? What else do you need? I got the coggins and the vet certificate. Thanks eh? :???:

Hi,welcome and I can't help you at all because we've never hauled horses across the border...do they and you have passports :p

no we dont have passports yet but i guess we will need them by next year. I have been searching the different dot websites trying to figure out what the requirments are for hauling a horse through. I know no dyed farm fuel. My husbands boss got freaked on for that. They even took a sample for testing. I was just hoping for some local us horse ranchers would enlighten me on the dot down there.

ksvdberg said:
no we dont have passports yet but i guess we will need them by next year. I have been searching the different dot websites trying to figure out what the requirments are for hauling a horse through. I know no dyed farm fuel. My husbands boss got freaked on for that. They even took a sample for testing. I was just hoping for some local us horse ranchers would enlighten me on the dot down there.
Hmmm,well thats somthing I didn't know,the dyed fuel....we would have got in trouble for that....I'll see if I can track someone down that can give you the info...K?

ksvdberg said:
Hi all newbie here. I am trying to find out what they us laws are for pulling a horse trailer on the roads in mt, wy and sd. Anyone know if you need to pull in to weigh? What else do you need? I got the coggins and the vet certificate. Thanks eh? :???:

If you're just a pickup and stock trailer you don't need to stop at the weigh stations...You will need a brand inspection done in each state as soon as you enter it (Montana inspection good for Montana only)- so need all your paperwork to show ownership-- Alberta brand inspection, or registration papers, any bills of sale/transfers....You can get a Montana annual inspection that is good for 1 year--or a lifetime...Need vet certificate and coggins to come into the state...Don't know if the port requires anything else...

okay so I am trying to pick up a horse in sd. I would need to get three brand inspection just to bring her home? where do you go to get those in the states?

ksvdberg said:
okay so I am trying to pick up a horse in sd. I would need to get three brand inspection just to bring her home? where do you go to get those in the states?

Not sure of SD- but in Montana you can find an Inspector at all Salesbarns or call the county Sheriff Office and they can usually find one....

Montana does issue a lifetime inspection which is honored in all the states and Canada...SD probably does too- as I have seen them from other states...That would be the way to go...Cost $15...

Here is a site where you can get all the Montana info....

http://mt.gov/liv/brands/hlthrqmn.asp

Oldtimer said:
ksvdberg said:

Not sure of SD- but in Montana you can find an Inspector at all Salesbarns or call the county Sheriff Office and they can usually find one....

SAME IN SD.

Montana does issue a lifetime inspection which is honored in all the states and Canada...SD probably does too- as I have seen them from other states...That would be the way to go...Cost $15...

SAME HERE IN SD

Here is a site where you can get all the Montana info....

http://mt.gov/liv/brands/hlthrqmn.asp

GET A CHANGE OF OWNERSHIP AND ALL HEALTH IN SD WHEN YOU BUY THE HORSE AND THEN HEAD OUT. I'LL BET YOU'LL BE ALRIGHT, THO' MAYBE IF YOUR GOING THRU' MONTANA TO RE-CROSS THE LINE, YOU BETTER GET ALL PAPERS RE-CHECKED WHEN YOU GET TO MONTANA. ANY US VET SHOULD BE ABLE TO TELL YOU WHAT YOU NEED.

ksvdberg said:
can i get the breeder to do the brand inspection ahead of time or is this something i need to be there for?

In Montana its the duty of the breeder/seller to line up and pay for the change of ownership brand inspection-- the same as AQHA rules say it is the sellers duty to send in the Registration transfer papers...

Don't get caught in Montana without a brand inspection-- Bond is $500... :wink:

ksvdberg said:
It all makes me so nervous. I wish I could afford to have her hauled....

You'll do fine... When in doubt error on the safe side- stop and ask an inspector or call the main office on the phone number in that website I gave you, and you'll do OK...Most everyone is much more than willing to bend over backwards to help as long as the person is trying to do it right.....

In the U.S. dyed fuel is off road use we dont pay highway use tax on it so thats why we cant use it in our vehicles.The fine was a $1000 and $10 for every gallon you had in your truck about 10 years ago.I have heard its alot more money for the fines now but I don't know first hand(My new truck is a Gas)

Hi ksvdberg,
I sent you some international transaction details (and web links) in a private message (link at the top of the page - I think you have to be logged in to see it).

Hope it helps

As far a dyed fuel... my husbands boss filled up with clear fuel on the way down to the us, drove in the us on clear for a few days adding 5 tanks of clear gas and then got in trouble at the border for not completely draining and flushing the original tank of dyed fuel before entering the us. We wont be making that mistake.

I think I will be okay with the paperwork I need. Thanks to all the info. I will make lots of phone calls and double check.

My concerns now are more with the rules regaurding being a commercial vehicle or not. The federal d.o.t. website says 2 things, one says you need to be over 26,000 GVWR to be classified as commercial, on anther page it's 10,000 GVWR. (I find this to be suspicious as even the E150 with a v8 has a gvwr of 11,000.)

My E-350 has a GVWR of 16,000 alone so then my 2 horse trailer adds another 8,049 lbs. So am I then considered commercial and have to have a log book and pull in to weigh?

ksvdberg said:
As far a dyed fuel... my husbands boss filled up with clear fuel on the way down to the us, drove in the us on clear for a few days adding 5 tanks of clear gas and then got in trouble at the border for not completely draining and flushing the original tank of dyed fuel before entering the us. We wont be making that mistake.

I think I will be okay with the paperwork I need. Thanks to all the info. I will make lots of phone calls and double check.

My concerns now are more with the rules regaurding being a commercial vehicle or not. The federal d.o.t. website says 2 things, one says you need to be over 26,000 GVWR to be classified as commercial, on anther page it's 10,000 GVWR. (I find this to be suspicious as even the E150 with a v8 has a gvwr of 11,000.)

My E-350 has a GVWR of 16,000 alone so then my 2 horse trailer adds another 8,049 lbs. So am I then considered commercial and have to have a log book and pull in to weigh?

I don't know if this will help, but in the fall of 05 I started in SD and hauled 7 colts all the way to California and brought a stud back. I had brand and health papers both ways and stopped at the port coming into Wyo, from Utah and they told me to go on thru. Didn't ask to see the papers or anything. I was driving a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram with a 22 foot stock trailer. Never had any problem, other than the drivers in California.

Oh, there was that one little incident coming east out of Sacramento, when a Chippie pulled up alongside and informed me over his bullhorn, that I was to pull to the far left lane and maintain all speed limit signs. :)

Latest posts