• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hauling Water!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch said:
The day I've got to haul water for cows is they day before they all go on the truck! :wink:

I did it for 2 years,had a big enough tank that i had to only fill the tank every 4 days.At first i thought it would be no big deal,then came spraying,haying and combining season and i soon found out what a pain in the butt hauling water was.Hauling water is highly overated!! If there isn't a well a sandpoint or a dugout on it that never goes dry,don't ever ask me to rent pasture.My answer is NO!!

Here is an update... The cummins 3/4 ton handled the weight just fine. We had to use low range 4x4 on the hills and rough spots. We did decide to use only one of the water tanks at a time on the flatbed because we don't want to prematurely wear out some of the drive train components like the rear axle, etc. We will probably end up with a pull behind water trailer to hold another 500 gallons or so for a total of around 800 gallons of water hauled each trip. I took some pics of the truck weighed down but can't figure out how to get them from my cpu to this forum?[/img]

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

Has any tried building large stock/storage tank and putting a larger roof over it and funneling all the water into the tank? Laurence Lasater mentioned doing this in mexico in his book "Tailwind Both Ways".

PATB said:
Has any tried building large stock/storage tank and putting a larger roof over it and funneling all the water into the tank? Laurence Lasater mentioned doing this in mexico in his book "Tailwind Both Ways".
those sheep out fit are water bands of 2000 migrating ewes then probably 4 to 5 band too boot nothing stationary

PATB said:

I thought about this idea also and did some research into it. It seems like the idea does work but the road block I found was that the metal roofing was so expensive it may not be worth it. At a little over a $1 per sq ft. And I would need around 1500 sq ft of roofing plus the cost of the storage tank, wood framing, screws and maybe some tractor work making the tank level lower than the collecting roof. 2-3k plus my labor didn't really seem worth it. If I could find a good deal on some used metal roofing or siding that might change everything though.

when hauling water ,bigger is better if you want to get anything else done. if the trail is tough i would be using as low of a tank trailer set up as i could.

Latest posts