• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hawgs have been busy.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
The rains we've gotten in the last few days have really brought the hogs out, they have really rooted up quite a bit of ground, yesterday we decided it was time to put the trap out.

Fresh hog roots, tore up ground
2006-01-19-014-Hogs-been-bu.jpg

Traps loaded, ready to head to the pasture.
2006-01-21-032-Trap-loaded.jpg

Traps set, now all there is to do is .........wait.
2006-01-21-034-Trap-set.jpg

Yeap we do eat the sows, but if the boars are very big, we don't, they stink to high heaven. But we do have a lead on a big game ranch, that's offerin up to $800 for big boars......think I'd rather catch one of those,,,or two ......than a sow at this point.

And you can bet if we catch somethin I'll definately take pictures, we went and checked the trap this evenin, and I had to put it in 4 wheel drive and lock the hubs. Slippin n slidin........I"m lovin it!!!! But when we got across the creek and all the way to the back where the traps at, weren't nothin in it. but it was still rainin perdy hard then, let this clear out. Sposed to have sunshine tomorrow, they'll be busy busy busy, and hopefully we'll catch somethin.

cowsense said:
Lilly; What do you use for bait??? Happy hunting!

Most everyone uses corn. And Lilly ain't lying about those big boars stinkin.

Some people catch the little ones, castrate the males and feed them out to about 40 lbs.

I 've got a buddy that swears he ruined a cast iron skillet by cooking some meat from a big boar in it. Said he couldn't get the smell out of it. :wink:

Oops......yes we use corn, but before we put it in the trap, I put a package of yeast and some warm water in a bucket then pour in some corn and let it sit over night. Hafta put it out in the washroom, cuz it gets stinky. but the hogs love it.

LOL We've never charged anyone anything to hunt hogs....it's just not a guaranteed kill. Ya never know if yer gonna see em or not. All that pasture tore up, I"m out there usually twice a day, sometimes three times a day, and I've yet to see one this year. But we know they are there. Usually if you wanna catch em out runnin round, you hafta go at night with a spotlight. We've seen 40 and 50 in a "bunch" for lack of a better word. I have no idea what the proper word for "herd of hogs" is......
There have been nights that mr lilly was holdin the spot light, his dad was shootin, and Mr lilly would just turn the spot light off, cuz he'd already shot 5 or more.....that's lots of cleanin hogs in the middle of the night.

Northern Rancher said:
What you charge for a father-son hog hunt lol.

You don't have to go to Texas to do that. Saville's at Consul shot 70 in their Flax. Brian Knight at Stewart Valley had 200 from the neighbour come onto their place and the Moose Mountians have a problem. Over 65 RM's in Sask are reporting them. SSGA just passed a resolution for sask to be a Wild boar management zone . Any boar out side it's home fence is fair game. I think it might be covered as I heard the province has already declared them a nusiance animal. Check with your CO.

Big Muddy,
What do they mean by "outside it's home fence"? Here, the hogs travel, there's no control over where they go, fences or not. Does that mean, not on private property?
I will say tho that huntin em with dogs is the quickest way to guarantee a catch, but we don't own any hog dogs. Friend of ours does. He hunts from horse back, with his dogs, and when they bay one up, he hasta git on the ground with the dogs and tie the hog up. He takes em live. That's a lil too close for comfort for my liking, them thangs can be vicious. hehe reminds me of Steve Erwin and his Alligators and Crocs.
And out of curiousity I looked it up, a group of wild hogs is called a sounder, and the babies are called watermelons.(I thought that was cute) But I've been sayin herd for so long, dont think I'll be callin em Sounders. LOL

Lily: It's far too early for an older gentleman like BMr to be up and about so I'll try and answer :lol: We had farmers that tried to diversify a few years ago with anything from ostriches and emus to wild boars. Pure speculation, little or no marketing plans and when the overinflated breeding market prices crashed some were just plain turned loose so they wouldn't have to be fed! :mad: :mad:

Oh ok, gotcha. We still have the occasional emu runnin around thru the woods too, from when that market crashed and folks just turned em out. We have a neighbor, that thought it would be a good idea to buy about 40 head of the wild hogs and put on his place. he has a high game fence, but didn't think about them goin under the fence, or out thru creeks and such. So his hog purchase just slipped out, now added to the one's already here, it didnt help matters any. Them thangs have a litter twice a year, sometimes three times, usually about 12 or so in a litter, and they can live for up to 15 years. UHGGGGG

It's against the law to transport live wild hogs on a public thoroughfare here. Some people just THOUGHT they wanted to have wild hogs for hunting and introduced them. They will eat every acorn that hits the ground plus most anything else they can find. Including...other animals.

Don't know if they killed them or not but they did eat some baby calves in west Alabama a few years ago.

Hunting them with dogs and guns won't get rid of them. They are too smart.

Trapping is the way to go for thinning them out.

Lilly, I hope you catch them all.

It's not against the law here to transport them on public roads, wonder why it is there?
I agree that huntin with the dogs doesn't get rid of em, but then again neither does trapping (they get trap smart), at this point there's just too many of em.
Huntin em with dogs tho, over a period of a week or so, they'll leave, for a while. We haven't had hogs on our place in a couple years. We knew they weren't "gone" so to speak, that they'd be back. Seems they travel in a large area, and rotate. Just long enuff that you can get your pasture leveled back out and growin grass half way decent, and here they come again. lol

It's not against the law here to transport them on public roads, wonder why it is there?

So that they won't be transplanted in unwanted areas. To keep down just what you were talking about. Selling them, and then them having the chance to escape into other peoples pastures.

Latest posts