• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hawks

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Clarence

Reaction score
It seems to me that we have more hawks arround this fall than we usually do. Has anyone else noticed this. I believe they are the Northern Harrier. At least they have the white rump patch. A few weeks age they were often , but not always seen as pairs, now I see mostly singles. A few weeks ago a couple that I assumed were pair were found drowned in one of my stock tanks. One was a liitle smaller and some lighter colored, this was probably the male. Was wondering if they had a better hatch or a better survival rate because of the dry weather.

Clarence said:
It seems to me that we have more hawks arround this fall than we usually do. Has anyone else noticed this. I believe they are the Northern Harrier. At least they have the white rump patch. A few weeks age they were often , but not always seen as pairs, now I see mostly singles. A few weeks ago a couple that I assumed were pair were found drowned in one of my stock tanks. One was a liitle smaller and some lighter colored, this was probably the male. Was wondering if they had a better hatch or a better survival rate because of the dry weather.

Maybe they just had a better chance at food, as there was less cover for them to hide in.

We don't see many here, but the neighbors claim they have a lot. I can't quite figure it out. Maybe my cats are keeping all the rodents down?

We used to see lots more when iIhayed and did a little farming.

We do have Great Horned Owls who have nested here for years, but I don't remember when was the last time I seen one. But I did hear the Danes mention they heard one.

WE have tons of red tails around here this year and a lot of coopers and sharp shined along with the traditional huge population of Sparrow Hawk (Kestrel).. Our rabbit population is way up too so I guess they are eating good. Have seen a few greathorned owls as well but not as many Barred Owls as we used to see.

Latest posts