• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hay Auction

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Swede

Reaction score
I am going to sell some alfalfa/orchard grass at auction soon. Time and date are yet to be determined but I'm thinking about March 30th. That will give me a couple weeks to get some advertising done. The majority of the hay will be 3rd cutting with a RFV of 150 and 19.8% protein. There will be about 400 bales of these. I might also have some 4th cutting bales with a RFV of 200 and ptotein of 21.3% unless I get it sold this week. I'll update this post with further details later.

Lots of hay still moving, My son had 2 trucks go to Beechy Sk and pick up hay. They bring it to the border then other trucks hook on the trailer and take it to Alexander ND. It's unloaded there and put on US truck for points south. They were hauling hay from right to Texas for $2,400 freight and I don't even know what the hay was costing. :?

If anyone is interested in some good alfalfa hay the auction will be Friday April 5th at 7:00 MDT in Vetal SD at the R Bar. The hay will be sold in semiload lots of either 32 or 34 bales. Hope to see some of you there even if you don't need any hay. 8)

Aaron said:
Uncle said tonight that his cousin in MN sold some hay at an auction in MN. Big squares. $375 a ton.

Whatever they are feeding must be crapping out gold bars in return.. :wink:

we are moving 3000 tons to Wisconsin. not sure what the freight is, but for what I am getting out of the hay, expect milk to be pricey for a while....

makes the neighbors heads turn when you lead 12 trucks from the elevator to the field at a time....

Are you getting this storm jigs? Happy for your hay sale. I just talked to my sister in Rapid City. They just had 10 inches of snow today and a lot of wind.

Big Swede said:
Are you getting this storm jigs? Happy for your hay sale. I just talked to my sister in Rapid City. They just had 10 inches of snow today and a lot of wind.

It's amazing how things are differnent a few miles away.
We are currently north of Whitewood and we got maybe 4" of snow and not much wind.
!0" in Rapid, WOW! We could use that much. SE Montana got 5" and IT DIDN'T BLOW. Was really wet too. Hopefully that broke the dry pattern we have been in since July of 2011.

Big Swede said:
If anyone is interested in some good alfalfa hay the auction will be Friday April 5th at 7:00 MDT in Vetal SD at the R Bar. The hay will be sold in semiload lots of either 32 or 34 bales. Hope to see some of you there even if you don't need any hay. 8)

You get that hay sold you'll have to give your cowherd to RA to avoid taxes. :wink:

jigs said:
we are moving 3000 tons to Wisconsin. not sure what the freight is, but for what I am getting out of the hay, expect milk to be pricey for a while....

makes the neighbors heads turn when you lead 12 trucks from the elevator to the field at a time....

I sold 100 ton of grass hay to wisconsin it was a 180 mile haul and that hay was $240 a ton delivered price..And the guy buying it would like to come up and bale mine this year with a big square baler. I said no thanks.

the storm is just moving into our area. anywhere from 2 to 10 inches predicted, depending on the what station you hear...

the hay market this year is crazy, I picked up a couple hundred ton of nice brome grass for $90/ ton, I offered $120, but the old man said that was foolish, only wanted $90....then I have a guy in central Nebraska asking $170 per bale!! that figures up to $350 / ton !! for grass !! and I still had to put wheels under it...I told him to call me next year when it was still sitting there, and I would be interested in it.....

I can buy Canadian hay and ship it anywhere cheaper than I can buy locally and ship it. it is crazy !!

gcreekrch said:
Big Swede said:

You get that hay sold you'll have to give your cowherd to RA to avoid taxes. :wink:[/quote)

I guess I could go back to winter calving if I wanted to solve my tax ptoblem. I couldn't help myself, looked like the pot needed one more stirring. :oops:

on the subject of hay....anybody from ND, eastern MT or southern Canada have or know of any grass hay for sale?

our hay yard is gettin' kinda low, but it kinda started out that way. :? :cry: :wink:

We have lots here in the north but are to far away to make it feasable too bad.couple of years ago we were in same situation i sold half the herd and still had to buy hay from 200 miles away and that just about broke me.Tryed lots of things feeding straw and rolled grain made it through its amazing how little you can feed and still make it till grass and not in to bad shape.Good luck and in the words of the great Red Green 'keep your stick on the ice we are all in this together'

Justin said:
on the subject of hay....anybody from ND, eastern MT or southern Canada have or know of any grass hay for sale?

our hay yard is gettin' kinda low, but it kinda started out that way. :? :cry: :wink:

Justin- I sent you a PM...

Latest posts