• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hay Cutting Pics July 2015, N. of 56

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Silver

Reaction score
It's been an awfully dry summer so far, we just got an inch of rain the other day to bring our total since the snow left up to 2 1/2". We did get a nice little snow in early May that I think really helped. Looks like an average hay year, some fields pretty fair, some pretty poor. Mrs. Silver was out taking a few haying type photos yesterday so thought I'd share.

Dad happened to be cutting in the next field over.

Zoomed in a little closer.

This field appears to be one of the pretty fair ones. If you look close you can see I had the company of a coyote.

There be the last of the hay.

That's it. The end. No more hay left to cut. Now to get it baled and in the yard. :D
Then on to cutting and baling oats when they are ready :(

It looks like a pretty productive field, even if conditions are dry. The quality of your hay should be excellent because it didn't get rained on. Thanks for the pictures of the nice ranching area where you live.

burnt said:
Looking good! Should put up a lot of bales.

When do you plant the oats and how do they look this year if it was so dry?

We finished seeding oats by about May 20 if memory serves, maybe a tad sooner. We had a wonderful spring thaw that saw the snow disappear into the ground rather than run off so we planted into really ideal conditions. I planted them deep and they were up in less than 4 days as even as could be. They are still thick and even but the lack of moisture did cause them to head earlier than I'd have liked, maybe at 14"-16" of height. The last rain we got was sorely needed and should fill the seeds nicely.
We sometimes cuss our thin soils and our underlying gumbo, but the benefit is that a little rain at the right time can go a long way, and what little soil we have is mostly very productive. In this area if you're plowing 6" deep your likely ruining some ground so you gotta be careful.
If it weren't for our long winters I think this may be a desert. 'H might get more annual precip where he is at than we do. I think 16" is our annual average which includes water from snow.

Latest posts