• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hay Day

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
2005-12-02-022.jpg

The lil gal is good at lots of things, openin n shuttin gates is just another one of em.

2005-12-02-031.jpg

Pullin the strings off, :? someone's gotta so it.

2005-12-02-017.jpg

One down, they are all tryin to get at it at once, few more to go.

2005-12-02-054.jpg

Lil gal gittin a pic from a different angle.

Picture-from-phone.jpg

I stood there wishin I had another camera to get one of her on top of that haybale.....then duhhhh it hit me, my cell phone has a camera. So I snapped one, then emailed it to myself from the pasture. HaHa, modern technology for ya. :lol:

2005-12-02-052.jpg

Tagged one after we got the bales put out. Mama was too busy eatin to worry bout what was goin on.

Nice pictures jersey lilly. :!:

I am accused from time to time of being a person who thinks too much about things, but it always amazes me how you good folks a thousand miles plus south of here are feeding hay, and ranchers up here for the most part aren't. Is it because your forage that is dried up doesn't have much kick to it this time of the year? I have heard and read that west and north texas ranchers can get by pretty good on grass and cake. I imagine your area is way more productive and that taller grass country loses more of it's kick when it goes dormant. Am I on the right track?

Your colored cow reminds me of one I had around here years ago. She stuck out in the bunch too. Like Soapweed said, she was a marker. :wink:

I"m in south east texas, usually first frost kills what green grass there is, which happened here a week or so ago. We've had such a drought this summer that the grass isn't much higher than a grasshopper. Normally there's grass thru the winter that's half way to your knees, even tho it's dormant. Our grass starts loosin it's nutritional value long about the last of august, but normally by this time of the year our rain has started and it's greened back up enuff to carry us till now when we get frost. NOT this year. Haven't had but about 2 1/2 inches of rain since july and that's nothin for this area. We are in better shape than some in our area tho. some have nothin but dirt left. SAD.

Nice picture's Lilly,are you giving them ole girls some cubes?You are right on about dormant grasses and zero nutritional value.............good luck

Lilly,

Usually a bawl as the tag pin goes thru the ear gets all the ones with calves jumpin around, LOL...So what is the texas secret to getting the calf to not bawl?????

Thanks for the pics,

PPRM

LOL no secret, ya just hafta be faster than the speed of "bawl sound" git it tagged n turned loose.
But amazingly enuff this one didn't bawl at all. Till after the fact, when he was tellin mom "all about it"

Just curious; are Mr Lilly's boot's also custom made? They look to be a pretty fair pair.

Yeah he had those made at the prison as well. They've seen better days, been resoled more times than mine, finally he went with a rubber sole on his(looked like goodyear made em) Reason bein he wears em to work, in the machine shop, all the metal shavins on the floor tend to cut the soles up real fast. He's had the whole top side re vamped, with a layer of bull hide over the original bullhide. I've asked, why dont ya just git another pair made? But I"m one to talk. I need to get another pair made too, just can't make up my mind on what design to do. I almost cry when mine hafta go in for resoles, hate bein without em THAT BAD. I wore my justin chucka's the other day, and shocked ever one in the house from static electricity, from hubby clear down to the dogs(even myself, against the stove). And it wasn't just a lil light shock, I"m talkin, SHOT SPARKS!!! I don't do that with my boots.

Latest posts