• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hay Preservatives

Help Support Ranchers.net:

AGN

Reaction score
If you use these products to bale high moisture hay, should u ever see a reduction in moisture levels? Or does it just "preserve" and % moisture does not come down?

Hay preservatives reduce mold growth.

Mould Damage

Moulds greatly reduce the value of dry hay, particularly when targeting the "quality" horse hay or dairy hay markets. Moulds consume hay nutrients and cause dry matter losses, as well as produce toxins that are detrimental to animal health. Mouldy, dusty hay contains spores that can cause respiratory problems, particularly with horses. Mould growth can even result in hay fires from spontaneous combustion.

Propionic Acid Preservatives

Propionic acid is an organic acid that acts as a fungicide, inhibiting the growth of aerobic micro-organisms that can cause heating and moulding. Other organic acids, such as acetic and citric acids are sometimes also included, but propionic acid is the most effective as a mould inhibitor.

The propionic acid inhibits mould growth while the bales "sweat' and "cure" down to safe moisture levels by dissipation and evaporation. Do not confuse organic acid hay preservatives with enzyme, bacterial inoculant or nutritive additive products, which differ in modes-of-action and effectiveness. Propionic acid is sprayed onto hay as it enters the baler. Equipment includes a baler-mounted applicator with a pump, nozzles, and tank.

Hay treated with buffered propionic and other organic acid products is safe to feed to livestock. Propionic and acetic acids are organic acids that are produced by microbes in the rumen (and the cecum and colin of horses) and then used by the animal as part of the digestion process.

Mike said:
Hay preservatives reduce mold growth.

Mould Damage

Moulds greatly reduce the value of dry hay, particularly when targeting the "quality" horse hay or dairy hay markets. Moulds consume hay nutrients and cause dry matter losses, as well as produce toxins that are detrimental to animal health. Mouldy, dusty hay contains spores that can cause respiratory problems, particularly with horses. Mould growth can even result in hay fires from spontaneous combustion.

Propionic Acid Preservatives

Propionic acid is an organic acid that acts as a fungicide, inhibiting the growth of aerobic micro-organisms that can cause heating and moulding. Other organic acids, such as acetic and citric acids are sometimes also included, but propionic acid is the most effective as a mould inhibitor.

The propionic acid inhibits mould growth while the bales "sweat' and "cure" down to safe moisture levels by dissipation and evaporation. Do not confuse organic acid hay preservatives with enzyme, bacterial inoculant or nutritive additive products, which differ in modes-of-action and effectiveness. Propionic acid is sprayed onto hay as it enters the baler. Equipment includes a baler-mounted applicator with a pump, nozzles, and tank.

Hay treated with buffered propionic and other organic acid products is safe to feed to livestock. Propionic and acetic acids are organic acids that are produced by microbes in the rumen (and the cecum and colin of horses) and then used by the animal as part of the digestion process.

Propionic Acid is corrosive to machinery.

Vigortone has a product called Hay Defender which preserves hay with Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation.
It enhances the growth of protective bacteria on forage matter and reduces the growth of yeasts and molds.
Those that use it say that their big round bales show increased weights by as much as 400#.
It works on balers and swathers, but is best used when swathing.

I didn't like the acid when I used it, I think I just pushed the moisture envelope anyways.
I used a Lacto power for a while, think it worked OK, one time I put it on tough wheat going in the bins. When I hauled it out the elevator agent said he had never seen such nice wheat. Don't think he checked the moisture on it, I think it plugged the leg, but it looked good.

gcreekrch said:
Bale wrappers work great too.

Better, I think. We found we could ruin just as much hay with preservative as without. Seems like a guy is always pushing the limits. :?
Wrapping hay eliminates that possibility, and makes a wonderful feed at pretty well any moisture level your baler can handle.

Latest posts