• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hay swap

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Swede

Reaction score
I have a unique problem. I have too much good hay. I got four cuttings of alfalfa/orchard grass from my pivot this year. We usually get three cuttings but with the early spring we started in May instead of June.

My problem is that I don't have enough average quality grass type or millet hay this year due to the drought. Is there anyone out there in southwestern SD who has some hay they would want to trade for some premium quality alfalfa? Other areas would be considered but I'm trying to keep the freight manageable.

This is dairy quality hay with a relative feed value of 160 on the third cutting and 200 on the fourth cutting. Protein is 21% plus on both.

So far I have bought corn stalks and cattails rushes and wheat straw to grind so I'm open to many possibilities.

I had around a 1000 bales for sale but selling hay has been pretty easy. I'm going to take a count and see where I'm at for hay on hand and will sell any extra. I've got more hayground lined up for next year most being meadows so with the snow cover we have the haycrop is already made. I bought 18 bred heifers saturday for $963 a head. I may be in the market for 30 or 40 more but who knows the banker say's yes and the wife say's no. Jigs will probaly have a market for your fancy hay. I sold alll my good hay were feeding silage,ground hay and liquid protein plus reed canary hay cows are fairing quite well.

Wish you were closer Big Swede, I could use a load or two of that stuff to bump up some protien for the young cows. Oh well, I guess they'll survive. :D

we could sure bring you some grass or straw to blend, and take a few loads of the better stuff off your hands.... G Creek has graciously volunteered to cover the freight.....

I tried to swap hay with G Creek before, but he wanted me to deliver a semi load of Tampons, in exchange for hay....not sure what the hell he needs a semi load of them for....

I agree with jiggsy... find some straw..... Less chance of getting someone's weeds and sh*t you darn sure don't want.... If you can't trade with neighbor don't trade.....I'd hurry if I was you so you can go into calving with what you know works for you..

edited to add: I baled organic hay for guy.. It was full of creeping jenny... But was high dollar stuff... :roll:

jigs said:
we could sure bring you some grass or straw to blend, and take a few loads of the better stuff off your hands.... G Creek has graciously volunteered to cover the freight.....

I tried to swap hay with G Creek before, but he wanted me to deliver a semi load of Tampons, in exchange for hay....not sure what the hell he needs a semi load of them for....

Just send me the bill Jiggsy. :wink:

As for the tampons, they are cotton aren't they? Doesn't everyone down there feed cotton for protein? :???:

Several times I've had extra hay in the spring and I trade with 2 neighbors - - - let them take my hay and feed it and bring me thier first cutting - - - Not bad hay but not as good as my second or third cutting but I feel it is better than my second year hay and it helps out the neighbors - - - hopefully if needed the favor would be returned later.

I think I'm going to have plenty this year and I told my son to take it and we are going to put soybeans in my hay field this year so I will have hay from him for next winter then back to good alfalfa - - - This was the 7th year on that stand and it is time to redue.

Denny said:
I had around a 1000 bales for sale but selling hay has been pretty easy. I'm going to take a count and see where I'm at for hay on hand and will sell any extra. I've got more hayground lined up for next year most being meadows so with the snow cover we have the haycrop is already made. I bought 18 bred heifers saturday for $963 a head. I may be in the market for 30 or 40 more but who knows the banker say's yes and the wife say's no. Jigs will probaly have a market for your fancy hay. I sold alll my good hay were feeding silage,ground hay and liquid protein plus reed canary hay cows are fairing quite well.

Just what do these $963 bred heifers look like? I sold my tested opens in October for $1300 and some bred heifers in December for 1550. The only bred heifers selling that cheap around here are the feedlot heifers that sell as guaranteed open and then come back through the ring an hour later as bred.

Bullhauler said:
Denny said:

Just what do these $963 bred heifers look like? I sold my tested opens in October for $1300 and some bred heifers in December for 1550. The only bred heifers selling that cheap around here are the feedlot heifers that sell as guaranteed open and then come back through the ring an hour later as bred.

Well they look like money makers to me. 925# average weight 9 blacks 4 herefords and 5 red heifers calveing mid march. They were'nt feedlot heifers as they look to have been on a hay diet only. They need to weigh 1100#s here before anyone will bid on them and even those type did'nt get much over $1300. Minnesota has always been known for lower prices on bred cattle and bulls for that matter to many hobby/dairy/ retired/ type farmers where they just won't pay for cattle. Very few herds over 50 head in our country the guys with more than that normally raise their replacements as I do also but at that price It's cheaper to buy them. These heifers were bought the first 1/2 hour of the sale and I bet they got cheaper I left to get a trailer and so I would'nt buy more.

Latest posts