• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Haying question...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Grandad

Reaction score
I use an HT Pro moisture tester to help determine if I should be wrapping hay up or waiting a while longer to bale. I have always try to keep the moisture content around 15%. Can I get away with a higher moisture content and not have to worry about spoilage in the bale?

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I just read that it's not so much the outside moisture that you measure with your tester but if the hay is cured inside. Will it break when you grab a hand full and twist it? If it is cured inside I feel you can get away with a bit higher outside moisture.

katrina

Reaction score
As long as it's dry like muddy says core wise you can bale it just as raggy as you want with in reason... If it hangs up on my pickup.... It's too wet...

Grandad

Reaction score
BMR,
We must read the same publications. :D Most of this stuff will twist off but there are some spots in the windrows that are still tough. I guess I'm hoping the tough stuff will lay next to some dry stuff and even out. We are having a dry year here (50% of last years crop) but little showers are slowing up the curing process. Was cutting the other day when along comes a downpour. Shutdown, jumped in truck, headed for the yard and was raising dust less than half a mile down the road. Grrr.

eatbeef

Reaction score
If you are baling alfalfa and its cured, which basically means that it has to get below 15%, then ideal baling is between 16 and 18%. Once hay has cured we have baled hay with a dew on it up to 25% and not had any trouble with spoilage.

Latest posts