• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

haying season on PEI

Help Support Ranchers.net:

redcountry

Reaction score
5cc61e5b.jpg

view of bale yard, each tube is 140 bales long

july10003.jpg

making silage, field is 75 acres 10 bales to the acre

july10004.jpg

standing at the top of the field ,we are a short way to the beach as seen in the background
________
Toyota Kijang

Great pictures! And all that hay-lucky you. Looks similar to the hay equipment that we use on our place-Deere and NewHolland and still use some older Case IH tractors to hay with also. Have a wonderful day :wink:

PEI is quite nice, I've been up there once back in my 4-H days. Some of us Seniors did a trip and we stayed with local families in New Brunswick. I remember PEI having very Red dirt.

At one time there used to be a big purebred outfit out there called Dundas Farms -do you know what ever happened to it. A few of my family have visited the maritimes and loved it. Maybe someday I'll get my wagon tongue pointed far enough east to get to your special part of the world. So far all I've only made it as far as Hogtown.

Thanks for sharing your pictures red country, 10 bales to the acre is wishful thinking around here.................good luck

Dundas farms is east of us in Cardigan they are big in purebred Limousin ,I have been to their place once.
Never bought one of their bulls .
We do have two Limo bulls ,One charlois, and an Black welsh.

Fall caving to start 1St aug and would you belive there was a nice bull calf in the pasture this morning.
(and no camera)
1 1/2 inches of rain last night the hay will have to wait another few days.
________
home made vaporizer

how long is the growing season?

well we usually plan on having cows on pasture june 1.

This year the first cows went out may 24th so we were a week early.

June 1 to sept 1 or 4 months pretty well makes our summer the rest as we say is poor sleding.
________
herbalAire vaporizers

We made silage bales once and I said never ever again. They are very hard on the baler. And they are hard on the loader tractor when handling them. I like to make silage the old conventional way... call the custom guys, they come in and chop it , haul, and pack then I have to tarp it. Its kinda expensive but they are quick and I have no special equipment payments or breakdowns!!

The old fashioned way, lol... I prefer that way too but we have an even better way. Call the seed corn company up, find out who has the contract on seed corn silage, call them and have the haul the stuff to you and than pack it and puut it under a tarp. Too darn expensive really but it is not bad feed at all..

My neighbor used to do a bit of custom silage chopping, mostly did his own because he was just using a pull type. I ,mentoned in passing that we would be putting up silage Next year and the first comments out of his mouth were Wanna buy my equipment?". Stuff breaks down all the time. I think I will go with the custom guy with his big old Self propelled Deer that will do the whole field in a matter of hours.

Redcountry ; What part of the island do you live on; Was in Charlottetown for meetings several years ago; did get a chance for some limited sightseeing..............have kicked myself ever since for not booking a couple extra days to explore more of your beautiful country !

WE are 65 miles west of Charlottetown on route 11

We do chopped grass and corn silage , we use a lot of cull potatoes and barley in a TMR for the finishing barn.

The bale yard is near full with about 2200 bales of silage ,these are for the cow barns.

The new bailer is a NH 740 crop cutter ,it chops the grass as it picks it up this makes the 4x4 bales very dense and they just fall apart when the strings are cut.

I have to keep the knives sharp or its a load for our JD7420.
________
hotbox vaporizers

Latest posts