• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Heifers ("sleepless in the barn" to they figure it

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Denny said:
leanin' H said:
Denny said:
I check once a day when I'm feeding. It's amazeing how they can be cows if we let them.12 miles from home $4.00 fuel It does'nt pay to run back and forth with work in the shop that needs getting done.

But Denny, with calves at $1000 next fall, one dead calf equals 125 round trips to check on them. :wink:

I did that for a few years I'd drive up check nothing going on go home drive back new calves it was like that all the time anymore I just leave them be. Last spring I fed on saturday morning then finished welding and painting a trailer from that I finised alot until 2 am then went to bed. Back in the shop at 6:00AM hooked up and left for Montana at 10 am sunday 1100 miles and back feeding by noon on monday . I had 9 calves while I was gone with no problems not saying thats the best but it works here.

I'm pickin' up what your puttin' down. :D You just have better luck than I do, but pretty much everybody does. :D

leanin' H said:
Denny said:
leanin' H said:
But Denny, with calves at $1000 next fall, one dead calf equals 125 round trips to check on them. :wink:

I did that for a few years I'd drive up check nothing going on go home drive back new calves it was like that all the time anymore I just leave them be. Last spring I fed on saturday morning then finished welding and painting a trailer from that I finised alot until 2 am then went to bed. Back in the shop at 6:00AM hooked up and left for Montana at 10 am sunday 1100 miles and back feeding by noon on monday . I had 9 calves while I was gone with no problems not saying thats the best but it works here.

I'm pickin' up what your puttin' down. :D You just have better luck than I do, but pretty much everybody does. :D

See H, buy a few of Denny's bulls, and you can sleep too! Even with calving ease, we all know stuff happens, but that's the sort of calving management I like to hear about from bull breeders :wink: :D.

WyomingRancher said:
leanin' H said:
Denny said:

See H, buy a few of Denny's bulls, and you can sleep too! Even with calving ease, we all know stuff happens, but that's the sort of calving management I like to hear about from bull breeders :wink: :D.

Great Point WYRancher!!!!! :D Denny, I'll take one calving ease bull and one 24 foot stock trailer delivered to the desert next spring! :wink:

Oh my luck is'nt always good it just seamed like the more time I spent driveing up there the more I spent and still ended up loseing a few. We tried calveing here but 200 cows on 6 acres led to scours even If I loaded them up and hauled pairs out of here. I wish my wife would just drive a little farther to work but she's pretty stubborn on the subject. I am going to build a new barn/shop/salebarn up at the farm. If I do I'm going to put in a small living type area. My uncle passed away last week and I'm still trying to purchase his place if that happens I'll build there, house and shop she can stay here or come along then. Women.. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Latest posts