• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Here we go, WET again

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
After a couple of real nice days and a batch of calves branded we are on hold with at this time 7/10s of rain. The hay and pastures are sure doing great, kind of strange for this country to have a surplus and east of us is really struggling with too much water. Lane finally got a day of mud hauling and then put on hold until it dries up so the trucks can get to the rigs.

burnt said:
Soon you're gonna be the Big Muddy hay guy! With all that rain, can farming be far behind? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Farming around here is waaaay behind. Sounds like lots of unseeded acreage in southern Sask this year.

we seem to be in a similar pattern, one or two nice day's followed by three or four of drizzle and rain. hope it changes before haying :) :)

I'm attending a 5 day seminar on shooting range design and management in Buffalo NY and this was the first day we got out of class at a reasonable time ( mostly 14 to 16 hour days in class ) so I rode ( GoldWing SE ) 18 miles north to Nigagra Falls and with the weather we have had I was a little dissapointed.

I think with just a little help I could have made as good an attraction in central Indiana - - - we sure had the water!

Talked to my son and he should be done planting this evening. I never planned to leave him alone at planting but I paid for the course about 6 monthss ago and never considered that planting would not have been done!

It rained 1.1" here today. We're trying to get ready to brand this week. It had just dried up enough you could get around with the pickup and was just about dry enough I could get my little bit of farming done. Its going to be really late now. :(

Could have been worse like what happened here:

http://www.ktvq.com/news/recent-storm-brings-more-hardship-to-golden-valley-county-farmer-rancher-loses-half-his-cattle/

We are drowning here. It just won't stop raining. :shock: :shock: :shock:

We have four self feeders for the steers. Ordered a semi load of gravel yesterday, and put it around both sides of each feeder so the steers would have something solid to stand on. It's hard to tell we even did it. This is just plain nasty. Every time we think it's going to dry up, it rains again. The ground is so soggy that literally every drop that falls, runs off.

There's all kinds of land unseeded in this part of the country, and even the people who live by the lakes are getting flooded. That's a lot of water, when the lakes start to overflow their banks. That's the kind of thing you expect from rivers, not lakes.

Enough already with the rain! It can stop any time now, and we'd like it just fine. I'm tired of pumping water out of the basement. I didn't think I'd ever say this, but I'd like to see some dust please. :?

I finally got some rain here at the ranch an inch and 4 tenths since last night. We sure needed it as the grass was burning up from all the wind. I moved cows in the river bottom yesterday morning and the dust was just a rolling. To those who don't want it send more rain, it will be welcome here right now

We had a couple of inches again last night with heavy thunderstorms. Sun came out today but now it's raining again. Still lots of beans to go into the ground.

There's water laying in spots that haven't dried out since the snow left.

Lots of grass!

And while I wouldn't quite say we are in drought in the Peace country of Alberta, if we don't get some decent rains soon, the grasshoppers are going to be eating most of what has been started by the snow. Rain shower lottery happening right now, but fire bans still on around High Prairie and heavy smoke in the air around Valleyview all day. Not sure where it is coming from as there is nothing on the news about the fires up here any more. I guess they aren't hitting any populated areas, so they aren't news worthy. But it is DRY up here. Please, send the rain north!

Starting yesterday morning going through this morning we got 3/4 of an inch. Wednesday high in the mid 50's, Rainy and 50ish yesterday. It rained all night and started clearing off this morning.

Sounds like we are in for nice weekend weather.

Were in a bad drought at home-no rain and some killing frosts-the gone to seed dandilions are higher than the grass. Down on cow numbers and have some banked grass so should make it through. Years like this those 'wet' meadows really save your bacon.

Northern Rancher said:
Were in a bad drought at home-no rain and some killing frosts-the gone to seed dandilions are higher than the grass. Down on cow numbers and have some banked grass so should make it through. Years like this those 'wet' meadows really save your bacon.

Hope you get rain soon, your area and the Peace region really need a break.

Northern Rancher said:

We are in a similar boat. Really grazing down the fall rye and tame pastures right now to let the native really get going. That is how we save our bacon when it doesn't rain.
Crops are way slow (even the ones seeded with $500,000 drills). We are already buying feed in just in case.

I'm on the opposite side of the Province than NR and RSL but 100 miles or so North of the rain. My gates are all open as the grass is starting to brown off already. Hay fields are really poor, that 'dry' frost hammers the alfalfa.

Northern Rancher said:
Just got in from moving some critters-it's not good at all.

Is it getting to the point up there that either pairs are going to be going to market,or feeding will have to start soon?Hope you get a rain soon!!

I can find a home for some cattle if anybody needs one. I sold most of my cows in April so only about a third stocked. I was missing the heck out of them all spring but maybe through more luck than management I dodged a bit of a bullet.

Latest posts