• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Here we go, WET again

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Started raining here this morning ,we have had 11ml's so far. I am not complaining at all . Love the rain here and very unlikely that we would ever be flooded.
Just wish we could share it with those of you that are desperate for it. :(

The radar is showing you are getting some rain in your area,northern rancher.Hope you got a good shot of rain!!

Sounds like we got enough to make the driveway muddy-I don't know if anybody here ever went to our outdoor rodeo-it always rained alot back in the day.

another inch and three fourths of liquid sunshine in the past 24 hrs.

hope it knows when to shut it off, haying season is coming :!:

Coronation probably hasn't cancelled to many Rodeos due to mud.
Last Thursday I was thinking it was time to destock some. Grass was all yellow and hadn't grown at all in weeks. Froze and dried out.
Rained three inches and it looks like the Ireland in the spring. More rain coming.
Now I can't get a truck in and my sorting alley is flooded.
Better than the alternative.

There was 2.1 inches of rain to dump out of the rain guage this morning, which came during the late afternoon and evening of yesterday. When it first started there was a little pea-sized hail, but then it became just a good steady downpour. This should keep the hills and meadows green for quite awhile :) even though a twenty mile per hour wind is up to its usual tricks this morning.

They say we finally have a rain headed our way,be the first one since april.Got done spraying this morning,so i hope there right!

We have been on a tornado watch 2 days in a row now, but it sure beats the hell out of a drought .

Supposed to get to a high of 27c next week, sure hope so as the alfalfa is not going worth a darn and the grass has not protein or energy to it even though it is thick and tall. :roll:

Interesting that you say that about your grass, HD.
Usually, by taking grass samples in spring, we find the grass has
everything a cow needs EXCEPT DRY MATTER. The grass is
full of moisture and that doesn't do much from a nutrition
standpoint, but by adding some dry matter, (old hay, old
straw, anything on that line) that the cows will eat some of it,
but not like they were being fed in the winter, and that will
satisfy the dry matter requirements and they will be much more
content. We've found that it actually is conductive to
better and earlier conception rates.

I know. We didn't believe it either, but the cows will come by
and eat a mouthful and move on. You only need put a few
bales out and watch what happens. Soon it will be gone...

FWIW

I have heard that too FH so I have bales out for them. They have yet to touch them, so I guess their grass is good enough for now. I am just used to seeing them fat and sassy this time of year , last year was the same and by mid July they were big fat pigs again.

Thanks for the info though, good to know I am headed in the right direction . :D

It seems I always have a bale or two left in the round bale feeder that the cattle have access to and just abandon.

I always felt that was the sigh they were getting enough from the spring grass.

With all the rain we have gotten so far I need to keep a close watch for foot rot as we get rain at least 5 days a week. I still have 5 fields of hay that have not been made the first time yet and this is normally time for the third cutting!

Since ya'll haven't sent your extra rain down here, could you at least send whiskey so we can get the "Natives" to dance and start something! No moisture here to speak of for months, (less than one inch since last August) and been 15 degrees hotter than normal. I may want that whiskey for myself soon.

Checked the rain gauge when i got up this morning,2 inchs of very welcomed rain :D .Hope you guys that are in need of rain,get some very soon!!

raining here in the madison....again...just what the rivers and creeks needs...more moisture!!! :( the rain will also melt the snow we still have in the mountains!!

Latest posts