• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

hereford bloodlines

Help Support Ranchers.net:

AngusCowBoy

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this should of went with the other thread or not, but I was wondering what the difference between the line 1 hereford genetics and others, and was wanting some info from someone that has used the others lines beside line 1s and also info from people who have used line 1s

I believe the Line 1's come from Ft. Keogh at Miles City. You might
talk to Tom Sparks at Plevna, Mt. They have some very nice Herefords
that have Line 1 breeding. They sell Hereford bulls.

If you are further interested, PM me and I can give you the phone number.

Line 1's are an inbreeding program which from my experience concering it I would run the other way.
Had a bull from a breeding out of Miles City. Sucker was lucky we just hauled him instead of me shooting him after chargung me twice and stalking me around the corral.
Had some holden cows once and once was enough!
Look to the guys who don't line breed. Stay away from Titan too.

I Luv Herfrds said:
Line 1's are an inbreeding program which from my experience concering it I would run the other way.
Had a bull from a breeding out of Miles City. Sucker was lucky we just hauled him instead of me shooting him after chargung me twice and stalking me around the corral.
Had some holden cows once and once was enough!
Look to the guys who don't line breed. Stay away from Titan too.

That must be a hereford thingy... In the angus breed some of the quietest cattle come from herds that use a lot of linebreeding... Wye, Diamond D, Cole Creek jump to mind first... One of the top Docility rated bulls in the angus sire listings- Tender Ten- comes from an intensely linebred herd- the Bradley B3 Ranch of Texas...

The difference between L1 and Canadian bloodlines would be much like the difference between Red Angus and Black Angus. To some it is hardly noticeable to others the Grand Canyon stands between the 2.

My commercial herd goes back to Dad's herd which was mostly Canadian. I have spent my life around that type of cow.

My registered herd is L1 and my registered herd will stay L1. Eventually they will push out the commercial herd.

I am not going to get deep into the differences in a public forum. Suffice it to say that I belive L1 to be more maternal and Canadian to work better on a crossbreeding situation.

And last, don't belive anyone with a small sample size that wants to run down any breed or line. There are good and bad of nearly every breed that is widely used. I could say that all Charolais are terrible because I know a guy who averages 15 C-Sections a year but that would be ignoring the guy who calves 200 heifers per year bred to Char and only helps 10-20.

the terms docile and Angus should never be used in the same sentence.

for my operation, I really like the line 1 cows crossed with a Canadian influence bull... to me, there is a genetic advantage of the calf growth, and still maintain the maternal instincts of the line 1 cows....

My registered horned Hereford is a L1. I seen somewhere and the people I got him from told me too... with the way they are bred, they'll help throw more consistency in the calf crop. I thought that sounded pretty good with my ultimate goal right now being to take the biggest amount of the same exact sized calves to the sale barn every year. This is my first beef bull though and am just starting to learn about all this.

You know Doug we don't need to run 200+ head of cattle to know what works and what doesn't.
Go ahead enjoy your L1's I just won't touch them.
Been working at culling the prolapse gene out of our herd and don't plan to bring it back in.
That was our experience with the L1's.
Working on getting the cancer eye out too. Don't want cows getting it at age 5 and having to cull them.

ACB asked and I told him the truth of our experience. I'm not going to apologize for being thruthful.

OT that was the only Hereford bull we ever had that had a bad attitude. Had an angus one time and once was enough. He was more interested in fighting then breeding.

This seems to have turned into Hereford breeders bashing Hereford breeders, one poster in particular. It would seem to me that it would be far better for the breed if we could list the attributes of particular lines. I have been raising registered, primarily Line 1 bred Herefords for 30 years. We have used some that are terrible along with some that are truly elite. We have identified some exceptional cow families within our own herd that have raised ten or more calves per cow that have above avg. for weaning wt. for five generations. This is in my opinion where a rancher will profit the most. There is some good in most of the lines of Herefords or they wouldn't be around anymore. As for the original post we really need to know more what you want to accomplish as an end point.

In all these lines I am grateful that I can cull. Culling, whether it is across breeds or within is our answer.

I have alway thought that if you have 2 cows you should be able to find a reason to cull 1. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Someday when I grow up I want 300 F1 Baldy cows then I'll breed them charlaios. I'll still run a herd of registered angus cows but around a 150 of those is enough unless you like paper work.

So tell me where I bashed someone er herf.
Speaking the truth through experience is not bashing.
Asked a question and I answered it.

I agree Katrina I miss NR too, Thinking of him recently.

I Luv Herfrds said:
So tell me where I bashed someone er herf.
Speaking the truth through experience is not bashing.
Asked a question and I answered it.

I agree Katrina I miss NR too, Thinking of him recently.

I didn't see where they named any names. Are you feeling guilty?

I Luv Herfrds said:
You know Doug we don't need to run 200+ head of cattle to know what works and what doesn't.
Go ahead enjoy your L1's I just won't touch them.
Been working at culling the prolapse gene out of our herd and don't plan to bring it back in.
That was our experience with the L1's.
Working on getting the cancer eye out too. Don't want cows getting it at age 5 and having to cull them.

ACB asked and I told him the truth of our experience. I'm not going to apologize for being thruthful.

OT that was the only Hereford bull we ever had that had a bad attitude. Had an angus one time and once was enough. He was more interested in fighting then breeding.

I don't luv Angus, but sure do like 'em quite well. :wink:

I was not in any way implying anything about your integrity I LUV HEREFORDS. I have a herd bull from the Miles City station that I can walk up to and scratch his back and that is the truth too, which bull yours or mine represents the stations genetics? I have a great deal of respect and admiration for what has been accomplished at the Miles City station. The Line 1 herd at Miles city has been closed for nearly 80 years, since 1934. That is over 18 generations of no out side cattle introduced to the gene pool. I would be very interested to know of any other gene pool that could accomplish this without lethal genes showing up. There are a hand full of breeders in the US that maintain straight station genetics. (Cooper and Holden are not among them)
We all have had good and bad experiences in our genetic selections, but in most cases, good or bad, the result is in our selection process, not with the breeder.

Temperment can be funny thing. I know of truckers they hate to haul herefords because they are hard to load because they can be too gentle. But exceptions to the norm can happen. One time I had a hereford bull raised with a group of like individuals. But when I had the vet check fertility it changed that bull. From then on he was at the back of the pen or pasture and didn't want to be singled out.

Latest posts