• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

hereford bloodlines

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Larrry said:
Temperment can be funny thing. I know of truckers they hate to haul herefords because they are hard to load because they can be too gentle. But exceptions to the norm can happen. One time I had a hereford bull raised with a group of like individuals. But when I had the vet check fertility it changed that bull. From then on he was at the back of the pen or pasture and didn't want to be singled out.

I'd rather have too gentle than too wild, but there should be happy medium. The other forest permittee keeps getting more and more Hereford influence in their herd, and my observation is that these cattle are a little slow on the trigger :wink: . They just can't figure things out like the other cattle... Like creek crossings, figuring out where we are going, etc... I wouldn't exactly call them retarded, but they definitely aren't working on the same number of brain cells in my opinion. I'm not a Hereford hater, just my own observation :) .

WyomingRancher said:
Larrry said:
Temperment can be funny thing. I know of truckers they hate to haul herefords because they are hard to load because they can be too gentle. But exceptions to the norm can happen. One time I had a hereford bull raised with a group of like individuals. But when I had the vet check fertility it changed that bull. From then on he was at the back of the pen or pasture and didn't want to be singled out.

I'd rather have too gentle than too wild, but there should be happy medium. The other forest permittee keeps getting more and more Hereford influence in their herd, and my observation is that these cattle are a little slow on the trigger :wink: . They just can't figure things out like the other cattle... Like creek crossings, figuring out where we are going, etc... I wouldn't exactly call them retarded, but they definitely aren't working on the same number of brain cells in my opinion. I'm not a Hereford hater, just my own observation :) .

Hereford breeders would call them "Special". :wink: :D :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
WyomingRancher said:
Larrry said:

Hereford breeders would call them "Special". :wink: :D :D

I don't know if it's special, or just a lack of concern because they are so laid back. I'm not bragging on these cows either, saying they are highly intelligent. They do plenty of things wrong too. I just noticed the Herefords seem a little slow, but have made for some really nice, gentle, crossbreed calves FWIW :D .

I grew up in the angus breed, knew they would kick you, survived the chiannia outbreak, they would bite, traded help with the Hereford guys on a regular basis .
Worked on the granite hills deal on and off several times, they were one of the last to still have horns on the cows, and yes I have the old horn branding irons.
We had about every bloodline known, L1, Holden, Cooper, never saw one of them any worse than the other. The 26bar cattle could be alittle stupid, but their base came from Wyoming, and those cattle wre not bad at all.
The pastures in Llano were 870 the smallest, 1460 the biggest, and brush was coming back quick, the dumb cattle came out of the pasture where the not so good cowboy fed, we each had our pastures.
I do know the blacks had their outlaws, (emulation 31) but I always thought the Herefords were more user friendly .

Latest posts