• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hey OT, a CNN poll on cut, cap, and balance

hypocritexposer

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2008
Messages
24,216
Reaction score
0
Location
real world
One has to go thirteen paragraphs into the story to find CNN addressing this at all:

Republicans like the “cut, cap, and balance” approach to the debt ceiling, as do Democrats and independents. Most Americans support a balanced budget amendment, and most, but not as many, think an amendment is necessary to get federal spending under control. A balanced budget amendment passed the House earlier this week, but a vote in the Senate is expected to fail.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/07/21/rel11b.pdf




The CCB/BBA approach wins majorities in every single demographic — including self-described liberals. Sixty-three percent of Democrats back the House bill. The least supportive age demographic is 50-64YOs at 62/37; the least supportive regional demographic is the Midwest at 61/39. Even those who express opposition to the Tea Party supports it 53/47.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/07/21/oh-my-ccb-bill-gets-2-1-approval-among-adults-in-cnn-poll/
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
The Rest of the Story:

CNN Poll: Strong partisan divide on debt ceiling
By: CNN Political Unit


Washington (CNN) – Americans are hungry for a solution to the debt ceiling debate but there is a big partisan divide that isn't going to make a solution easy to achieve, according to a new national survey.

And a CNN/ORC International Poll also indicates that while Democrats and independent voters are open to a number of different approaches, Republicans draw the line at tax increases, and many of them oppose raising the nation's debt ceiling under any circumstances.

"That may create a problem for the Republican party, because most Americans think that GOP has been acting irresponsibly in the debt ceiling talks and they will blame congressional Republicans, not President Barack Obama, if no action is taken on the debt ceiling by August 2," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

The survey's Thursday release comes as time is running out to reach an agreement on a deficit reduction deal which increase the government's borrowing limit, so it can continue to pay its bills after August 2. If Congress fails to raise the current $14.3 trillion debt ceiling by that date, Americans could face rising interest rates, a declining dollar and increasingly jittery financial markets, among other problems.

Eighteen percent of people questioned say that if the debt ceiling is not raised, it would cause a crisis, with another 43 percent saying it would create major problems for the country. Three in ten say a failure to raise the debt ceiling would cause only minor problems and six percent say no problems would occur.

As expected, there's a partisan divide.

"Democrats and independents predict that not raising the debt ceiling will create a crisis or major problems in the U.S." adds Holland. "Roughly half of all Republicans think that will create only minor problems or no problems at all."

The survey is the sixth poll released over the past week to indicate that a solid majority of the public want any agreement to raise the debt ceiling to include both spending cuts and tax increases. Sixty-four percent of people questioned in the CNN/ORC survey say they want a budget plan with both spending cuts and tax hikes for businesses and higher-income Americans.



Again, there's a partisan divide, with 83 percent of Democrats and nearly two-thirds of independents but just 37 percent of Republicans and 38 percent of self described tea party movement supports saying they prefer a combined approach. A majority of Republicans and tea party supporters prefer a plan that only includes spending cuts.

"Democrats and independents don't see anything wrong with raising the debt ceiling as long as Congress takes action to reduce the amount of money the government owes, and some of them are willing to raise the debt ceiling even without any action by Congress at all," says Holland.

"Republicans won't even go that far - a majority of GOPers oppose raising the debt ceiling even if Congress passes a budget plan."

According to the poll, Democrats and independents favor a plan that would cut $2 to $4 trillion and increase some taxes - something similar to the "Gang of Six' proposal by a bipartisan group of senators, or the "grand bargain" that the president has been advocating in recent weeks. Republicans oppose that approach.

Republicans like the "cut, cap, and balance" approach to the debt ceiling, as do Democrats and independents. Most Americans support a balanced budget amendment, and most, but not as many, think an amendment is necessary to get federal spending under control. A balanced budget amendment passed the House earlier this week, but a vote in the Senate is expected to fail.

But the poll indicates that few like the fallback plan to raise the debt ceiling. The proposal, first advocated by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, would give the president the ability to raise the debt ceiling essentially on his own.

The poll indicates the Republican party is likely to lose the "blame game" if it comes to that. Most Americans think Obama has acted responsibly in the debt ceiling discussions so far, but nearly two-thirds say the Republicans in Congress have not acted responsibly. Fifty-one percent say they would blame the GOP if the debt ceiling is not raised; only three in ten would blame the president.

The poll was conducted for CNN by ORC International on July 18-20, with 1,009 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points.
 

hypocritexposer

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2008
Messages
24,216
Reaction score
0
Location
real world
...so you discount one part of the poll, but advocate another....... :???:


Is this poll reliable or not? If it is, then 63% of support the CCB. and this supports the pool you posted about people being unhappy with their congressman. If you remember from your poll, it did not mention why they were unhappy......could it be that they were unhappy about what their congressman are proposing?


The majority of the American public do not support raising the debt ceiling. The majority is conservative now, they support responsible spending and cutting waste, fraud and duplication. don't you?


I thought you for cutting spending and the budget? Why are you against this plan? what do you know about it? What parts of it do you disagree with?


and don't say you aren't, by your tone, I can tell.


Another question that you might answer honestly or not, but why were you against Bush's spending, but for obama's?


Have you recently retired or something? Is your wife a government employee that is close too retirement?
 

Whitewing

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 4, 2009
Messages
5,855
Reaction score
0
Location
Venezuela
hypocritexposer said:
Another question that you might answer honestly or not, but why were you against Bush's spending, but for obama's?

Becuase he'd rather swallow a bad clam than say anything negative about Obama? :???: :???: :???:
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
hypocritexposer said:
...so you discount one part of the poll, but advocate another....... :???:

Thats what you were doing when you didn't print the whole article..
Remember this is your thread that was started with only a portion of the article- apparently to give biased info.... :wink:
 

hypocritexposer

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2008
Messages
24,216
Reaction score
0
Location
real world
Oldtimer said:
hypocritexposer said:
...so you discount one part of the poll, but advocate another....... :???:

Thats what you were doing when you didn't print the whole article..
Remember this is your thread that was started with only a portion of the article- apparently to give biased info.... :wink:


or to let you know that a poll will tell you anything you want, if you only look so far.

and just to let you know, I posted the complete poll, not just a portion of it......


http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/07/21/rel11b.pdf
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I personally have no problems with "Cut, Cap and Balance-but with already spent $Zillions of dollars on 2 wars while cutting income/taxes (which GW's own Treasury Secretary said was idiotic and would bankrupt the country) it will not work- and needs more...
And I - like a majority of the folks in the country have a problem whenever the Congress/Government screws around with the Constitution, knowing that once the door is open what can happen is anyones guess...
 

redrobin

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
1,145
Reaction score
4
Location
arkansas
Oldtimer said:
(which GW's own Treasury Secretary said was idiotic and would bankrupt the country) .
I guess I missed that. Can you find the quote?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
redrobin said:
Oldtimer said:
(which GW's own Treasury Secretary said was idiotic and would bankrupt the country) .
I guess I missed that. Can you find the quote?

Paul Henry O'Neill (born December 4, 1935) served as the 72nd United States Secretary of the Treasury for part of President George W. Bush's first term. He was fired in December 2002 for his public disagreement with the administration and became a harsh critic.
------
O'Neill was appointed Secretary of the Treasury by George W. Bush. O'Neill was an outspoken member of the administration.

A report commissioned in 2002 by O'Neill, while he was Treasury Secretary, suggested the United States faced future federal budget deficits of more than US$ 500 billion. The report also suggested that sharp tax increases, massive spending cuts, or both would be unavoidable if the United States were to meet benefit promises to its future generations. The study estimated that closing the budget gap would require the equivalent of an immediate and permanent 66 percent across-the-board income tax increase. The Bush administration left the findings out of the 2004 annual budget report published in February 2003.]

O'Neill's private feuds with Bush's tax cut policies and his push to further investigate alleged al-Qaeda funding from some American-allied countries, as well as his objection to the invasion of Iraq in the name of the war on terror — that he considered as nothing but a simple excuse for a war decided long before by neoconservative elements of the first Bush Administration — led to him being fired in 2002 and replaced with John W. Snow.
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,482
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
sharp tax increases, massive spending cuts, or both

Now that's being very precise. :lol:

Any fool should have known this back 20 years ago!!

A tax increase will bring the economy to it's knees now.

Cut, Cap, & Balance. The only way.
 

hypocritexposer

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2008
Messages
24,216
Reaction score
0
Location
real world
Oldtimer said:
redrobin said:
Oldtimer said:
(which GW's own Treasury Secretary said was idiotic and would bankrupt the country) .
I guess I missed that. Can you find the quote?

Paul Henry O'Neill (born December 4, 1935) served as the 72nd United States Secretary of the Treasury for part of President George W. Bush's first term. He was fired in December 2002 for his public disagreement with the administration and became a harsh critic.
------
O'Neill was appointed Secretary of the Treasury by George W. Bush. O'Neill was an outspoken member of the administration.

A report commissioned in 2002 by O'Neill, while he was Treasury Secretary, suggested the United States faced future federal budget deficits of more than US$ 500 billion. The report also suggested that sharp tax increases, massive spending cuts, or both would be unavoidable if the United States were to meet benefit promises to its future generations. The study estimated that closing the budget gap would require the equivalent of an immediate and permanent 66 percent across-the-board income tax increase. The Bush administration left the findings out of the 2004 annual budget report published in February 2003.]

O'Neill's private feuds with Bush's tax cut policies and his push to further investigate alleged al-Qaeda funding from some American-allied countries, as well as his objection to the invasion of Iraq in the name of the war on terror — that he considered as nothing but a simple excuse for a war decided long before by neoconservative elements of the first Bush Administration — led to him being fired in 2002 and replaced with John W. Snow.


So where is the quote of him saying that it would bankrupt the country? He offered solutions to the over spending
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,482
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
A report commissioned in 2002 by O'Neill, while he was Treasury Secretary, suggested the United States faced future federal budget deficits of more than US$ 500 billion.

You can tell he never anticipated a spender like Buckwheat with 3 TIMES the deficit that O'Neill predicted.

Now comes Buckwheat's proposed budget that got shot down 97-0!!!!

Funny stuff right there. :lol:
 

Latest posts

Top