• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

High land prices

Help Support Ranchers.net:

feeder

Reaction score
Iowa 80 acres- tillable went for $8500/acre approximately 35 miles SE of Sioux Falls, SD. Heard 2 neighbors were bidding against each other.

WOW!! And I thought people were nuts out here. There ain't many times that it's neighbors going crazy out here, though. Usually someone with a pocket full of money looking for a place to hunt or retire.

We adjoin a parcel of land owned by an absentee owner from Kentucky. It probably is worth $250 or $300 because of a CRP contract.

I was going to make an offer to buy it, but when I talked to the owner, he mentioned that he had just bought some land near his Kentucky operation for $8,000 per acre. Didn't even have the heart to bring it up!!

We have heard of some eye openers around here between neighbors bidding up some land. I always thought they were going for future pitential value because there was no way the land itself was worht 7500 an acre... Just no way.. I figure they where trying to put together a few pieces of ground to get something in the the 400-500 acre range to do an exchange with someone who just sold their land for 20k-100k an acre for development.. Amazing what having 160 acres in the right area means nowadays in Northeastern Illinois..

The place where I used to cut hay has a Hyundai Auto Plant sitting on it now.

The State paid $12,000.00 per acre (240 acres) for it and leased it to Hyundai for $1 per year for 99 years as part of the incentive package. :mad:

Latest posts