• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

High tailhead

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rem_243

Reaction score
So what causes high tailheads? I know it seems to be genetic, and I have heard it is more prevalent in early weaned calves. I know it is sure ugly, but what causes it?

Calving problems are also part of the high tailhead. The pelvis is rotated upward. Hooks to pins don't have correct slope. This is gonna open a whole can of worms but I think it's a terminal trait, maybe too much emphasis on $B and milk in Angus. Most Angus are terminal cattle today. If you look at the more maternal strains like Wye, you'll see a completely different looking cow.

Probably that Holstein X Angus bull your Grandaddy bought to get some frame score on the calves back in the 70's or 80's contributed?

Mike said:
Probably that Holstein X Angus bull your Grandaddy bought to get some frame score on the calves back in the 70's or 80's contributed?

I was under the impression that in order to GET an Angus critter, you just took a Holstien, and bred the white out of her...

jigs said:
Mike said:

I was under the impression that in order to GET an Angus critter, you just took a Holstien, and bred the white out of her...

Yep. They got from short and dumpy to long and leggy mighty fast!! :lol:

This trait is easily solved?/modified. Just have the geniuses at the breed associations set up the Tailhead EPD. Make sure to have them include it in some sort of exotic breeding index with a nice name. Voila......tailheads and tailhead numbers can be made to go up and down in the fashion of the times.

graybull said:
This trait is easily solved?/modified. Just have the geniuses at the breed associations set up the Tailhead EPD. Make sure to have them include it in some sort of exotic breeding index with a nice name. Voila......tailheads and tailhead numbers can be made to go up and down in the fashion of the times.

Just buy some shoshone,keeney,wye bred females and I bet the tailhead is non existent

Faster horses said:
We need equal bashing time.
What did they do to Herefords to change them?

SIMM-EN-TAL. And that was PROVEN.

Be the best thing ever happen to them :wink:

Denny said:
graybull said:

Just buy some shoshone,keeney,wye bred females and I bet the tailhead is non existent

So they look kinda like sheep? :wink:

Years ago we did have a calf born without a tail and she did walk like a sheep. Steaks at least tasted good

Latest posts