• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Help Support Ranchers.net:

kolanuraven

Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/business/

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. employers added 248,000 jobs last month, a burst of hiring that drove down the unemployment rate to 5.9 percent, the lowest since July 2008.

Yep- our county is down to 2.9%... Kola- I don't know if you were able to see a FB page I commented on yesterday- but a rancher friend who is also a neighboring counties County Commissioner was commenting about all the jobs available-- and nobody available to take them....
Here is what he posted:

As I wander thru the Bakken Oil Field, which is making America energy independent I notice that of all these great paying benefit producing jobs most of the labor force is of Latino descent whether it is the midnight shift at micky dees or an entire seismo crew from El Salvador these energetic hard working paycheck loving people are now becoming our American work force most nearly all are green card carrying or citizens of the USA it makes me wonder what is our future now and generations to come. Everywhere I went I saw job openings apply within signs "please come to work fur us with CDL 32 bucks an hour", State jobs County Jobs Tribal jobs retail jobs service jobs delivery jobs . Heard of a worker come in ask if a job was available owner said yes can you start today answer was yes she got an eight hour shift that day. Hardest part of an interview is passing the piss test. Does this mean with all the unemployment around that we have an unemployable workforce? food for thought.

If people want to work- there are jobs available..

Then why is the welfare payments going up. I say if there are jobs lets give them money to move to these jobs if they don't have the funds, instead of paying welfare out for months and years. What do you say to that OT? Many of these jobs go unfilled in the Bakken because there are no housing for them to live.

That's what happens when people leave the work force...unfilled positions and less unemployment.

The jobs created were part time and low paying...

Canada's unemployment rate will be higher than the latest from the US, but we will have a higher workforce participation rate...it depends on how you juggle the numbers.

going into an election next month, the Dems. will do everything they can to misrepresent the numbers.

Low information voters like OT will believe them.

ranch hand said:
Then why is the welfare payments going up. I say if there are jobs lets give them money to move to these jobs if they don't have the funds, instead of paying welfare out for months and years. What do you say to that OT? Many of these jobs go unfilled in the Bakken because there are no housing for them to live.
Exactly! 92.6 million not in the labor force. If they're able bodies then their freebies need to dry up. Maybe some tax break for buying well insulated trailers to stay in near the job site. And all of those high paying jobs not being filled, why is the regime in such a tit to raise the minimum wage?

Traveler said:
ranch hand said:
Exactly! 92.6 million not in the labor force. If they're able bodies then their freebies need to dry up. Maybe some tax break for buying well insulated trailers to stay in near the job site. And all of those high paying jobs not being filled, why is the regime in such a tit to raise the minimum wage?

I've said the same for years!

OT wrote:

Maybe in your little part of the world at the moment but they won't last long. When younger, I participated in two oil booms. They go as fast as they come and the areas are never the same again.

When it's over the original home folks will be standing around looking at each other like "what just happed?" It ain't pretty. :wink:

Mike said:
OT wrote:

Maybe in your little part of the world at the moment but they won't last long. When younger, I participated in two oil booms. They go as fast as they come and the areas are never the same again.

When it's over the original home folks will be standing around looking at each other like "what just happed?" It ain't pretty. :wink:

Well- according to the experts- that won't happen up here for at least 30 years-- and I've seen some believe that the Bakken Boom will last 100... So I'm not going to worry about it...

Friday, October 3, 2014

Bakken oil boom in North Dakota might last for 100 years

Mark J. Perry | January 31, 2013, 10:15 am

The excerpt below is from a long, but very informative New York Times Magazine article "North Dakota Went Boom," about the Peace Garden State's amazing oil boom in the Bakken formation (and some history of the state's previous oil booms). According to some estimates, the Bakken boom might last for 100 years, and is being driven by new, breakthrough drilling technologies, and the state's "petropreneurs" (and not by any government energy policy):

Around seven years ago — driven by technological refinements that have made North Dakota a premier laboratory for coaxing oil from stingy rocks — the state's Bakken boom began in Mountrail County. At the time, North Dakota was ranked ninth among U.S. oil-producing states. By 2010 it had climbed to fourth. In July 2012, monthly oil output reached 20.97 million barrels, and North Dakota was the largest oil producer in the country after Texas (see chart above).

Just how much oil is in the Bakken is still unknown. Estimates have been continuously revised upward since a 1974 figure of 10 billion barrels. Leigh Price, a United States Geological Survey geochemist, was initially greeted with skepticism when, about 13 years ago, he came to the conclusion that the Bakken might hold as much as 503 billion barrels of oil. Now people don't think that number is as crazy as it seemed.

As long as prices stay above $60 a barrel or so, oil will be a mainstay of the North Dakota economy for a generation or more. After drilling companies finish securing leased acreage, it will take 20 years to develop the 35,000 to 40,000 production wells needed to fully exploit the "thermally mature" part of the Bakken shale, an area about the size of West Virginia. Production from a typical Bakken well declines rapidly but on average produces modest amounts of oil for 45 years and earns a profit of $20 million. But as the volume of oil in the Bakken shale is still a moving target, and recovery techniques are increasingly sophisticated, some estimates put the life of the Bakken play, and the attendant upheaval it is causing in North Dakota, at upward of a hundred years.

I guess you could take this 2 ways

1) The Dems. are fudging the numbers, to make it look like the economy is improving

or

2) With the chance of Republicans winning, companies hire, thinking the economy will improve, but when the Dems. end up winning, the economy doesn't continue to improve.

In an odd coincidence, the last two election cycles have seen a drastic, unexpected drop in the unemployment rate immediately before the election. And in 2012 and 2010, the unemployment rate increased the month or the next after the election. Just as big a coincidence, both 2014 and 2012 saw the drop come in September, but reported in October, the best time to report supposed good news on the economy.

http://thepunditpress.com/2014/10/03/last-two-election-cycles-unemployment-dropped-drastically-right-before-election-rose-soon-after/

How many enter the working population per year in the US anyway?

Looks like Barry's job creation hasn't even kept up with population growth.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention OT.

We Need 90,000 Jobs Per Month to Keep Pace With the Growth of the Population

In an article on the June employment report the NYT told readers that the economy needs 150,000 jobs per month to keep pace with the growth in the population. Actually, the Congressional Budget Office projects that the underlying rate of labor force growth is now just 0.7 percent annually. This comes to roughly 1,050,000 a year or just under 90,000 a month.

This is fortunate since the economy has created less than 1.8 million jobs in the 16 months since it first began adding jobs again in February of 2010. If we needed to create 150,000 jobs a month then we would have needed 2.4 million jobs to keep even with the growth of the labor force, so we would be considerable further behind where we were in February 2010. As it stands, we are roughly treading water with job growth that has been pretty much even with the growth of the population over this period.

http://www.cepr.net/index.php/blogs/beat-the-press/we-need-90000-jobs-per-month-to-keep-pace-with-the-growth-of-the-population

Looks like Barry's job creation hasn't even kept up with population growth.

I doubt Obama's lack of job growth has even kept up with the number of illegals entering this country, let alone with the number of kids who graduated last year...

ND Luxury Man Camps Offer Amenities For Roughnecks

October 6, 2014 171 Views

JOSH WOOD | The Associated Press

WILLISTON, N.D. (AP) — Worker accommodations in North Dakota's oil patch can be rough: men sleep in tiny trailers with boarded windows, parked cars and overcrowded apartments. The barracks-style "man camps" might imply that roughness of life, too.

But for some big oil companies, as the boom matures beyond an insatiable rush for bodies and beds, a number of man camps resemble luxury versions of overseas military bases and function almost like hotels. Some of these high-end camps are self-contained communities with all-you-can-eat buffets, private quarters and housekeeping services that lay down fresh sheets and towels.

"These big oil companies have a lot of money and they just want it all done and taken care of," said Barry Roman, founder of Reliant Asset Management, a firm involved in crew camp construction.

"Once a client comes in, they don't have to leave again until it's time to go to work," said Nick Nelson, assistantmanager of Target Logistics' 496-bed Bear Paw Lodge near Williston that offers a gym with workout machines and saunas, a store, pool tables and 24-hour dining hall.

Camps like this offer comfort and convenience for exhausted workers while also giving companies a degree of control over the workforce: security guards man the entrances and no booze or guests are allowed.

A military veteran, Nelson underlined the importance of little luxuries in otherwise harsh environments.

"Speaking as a guy who's literally lived in a hole in the ground for months on end, people will put up with amazing amounts of discomfort in their jobs if they have good food," Nelson said.

One recent night, the menu included seafood tortellini, fried pork cutlets and cheeseburger sliders. Or workers could grab hot dogs from a convenience store-style roller, make their own sandwiches from cold cuts or skip straight to homemade cookies or soft-serve ice cream.

Reliant has similar facilities in the oil patch. But Roman said while the level of comfort at traditional man camps has increased, the needs of some oil companies have also changed. As some companies move away from the model of flying in workers for short periods of time, they are also looking to cut out food catering costs and get more permanent housing with added privacy.

In Watford City, Reliant has built a hybrid man camp of sorts comprised of prefab cabins that looks like a small subdivision but still operates like a traditional camp with furnished rooms, housekeeping services and a degree of control over guests.

In many cabins, several bedrooms share a living room, k i t c h e n and gas grill. While it is still primarily shared accommodations, it offers a level of privacy and feels much more like a home than the long metal hallways of a traditional man camp.

"It's not just shoving people into beds anymore," said Shawn Duby, who manages the facility. "It's kind of nice to come home and sit on your own couch, compared to the recreation room with 50 other guys."

http://bakken.com/news/id/222605/nd-luxury-man-camps-offer-amenities-roughnecks/

Latest posts