• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

homemade foam for foam marker?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shelly

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,634
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan
Most equipment dealers sell GPS. We bought ours when they were first introduced, so we paid quite a bit. Last I saw, you could get a system for arouns $3000 Canadian. Maybe even less than that now.
 

Manitoba_Rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,117
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
We have an excellent foam marker on our 100ft field sprayer, works like a charm when you use good soap makes real good foam. I always have to chuckle the neighbors have a high priced GPS unit in their sprayer and they always misses in the field. They never know what to say when I ask them if they are leaving strips to see if the spray worked... :) And last year every time they got into the middle of the field they lost their signal and had to tramp back to the start to find the signal. Call me cheap but if foam markers do the trick stick with them!! :wink:
 

Cal

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
3,598
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern SD
Foam markers are extra screwing around every time you fill, besides having that little electric pump sucking dirt and switching valve mechanism. There's a reason GPS keeps gaining popularity. Several types of guidance systems, some run off towers (NOAA towers if I remember right) and some sattelites. Depends on what type of accuracy you need and how much you're willing to spend. http://stellarsupport.deere.com/en_US/
 

Denny

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
5,624
Reaction score
0
Location
Mn usa
The only foam I like come's on a mug of Beer mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :wink:
 

Manitoba_Rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,117
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
With the way grain farming is heading up here it will be lucky if the average grain farmer can afford foam little own GPS. Lots of acres up here are not going in crop this year, inputs too high and prices for grain way too low. Wont need all those all those high priced gadgets.
 

mwj

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
562
Reaction score
0
Location
central Illinois
Manitoba_Rancher said:
With the way grain farming is heading up here it will be lucky if the average grain farmer can afford foam little own GPS. Lots of acres up here are not going in crop this year, inputs too high and prices for grain way too low. Wont need all those all those high priced gadgets.


Some of the farmers in this area need that kind of reality check! Cash rent over $200 per acre and $2 bushel corn does not make very good sense. The latest and biggest eqip. is required here to better your chances of renting more ground so you can buy newer euipment :???: As far as the foam question I found out long ago that the quality of the WATER is the most important. Soft water is the best and pond or ditch water is the worst.
 

Cal

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
3,598
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern SD
GPS tracking system also works real well with drills or planters. If you trade up and order one without the double markers you just paid for your tracking unit. Since the unit is easy to switch from one outfit to another, you can use them in any application where you need a marker. Works well when drilling in no till, or when the dust is with you, or after dark when it's hard to see a mark on the ground.

Not to mention that if you have to quit for more than a short period of time in the middle of a field when spraying, you're not going to be able to find your place again with foam, unless you can find some dye stains on the ground and it didn't rain, whereas GPS can save your field positon pretty much indefinitely.
 

Manitoba_Rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,117
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Cal said:
GPS tracking system also works real well with drills or planters. If you trade up and order one without the double markers you just paid for your tracking unit. Since the unit is easy to switch from one outfit to another, you can use them in any application where you need a marker. Works well when drilling in no till, or when the dust is with you, or after dark when it's hard to see a mark on the ground.

Not to mention that if you have to quit for more than a short period of time in the middle of a field when spraying, you're not going to be able to find your place again with foam, unless you can find some dye stains on the ground and it didn't rain, whereas GPS can save your field positon pretty much indefinitely.


Cal,

The foam we use lasts up to 24 hrs. I d almost say that your a sales person for GPS units.
 

PPRM

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,960
Reaction score
8
Location
NE Oregon
Manitoba,
If they aren't planting crops, what are they doing with the ground? Just curious,


PPRM
 

Cal

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
3,598
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern SD
Manitoba_Rancher said:
Cal said:
GPS tracking system also works real well with drills or planters. If you trade up and order one without the double markers you just paid for your tracking unit. Since the unit is easy to switch from one outfit to another, you can use them in any application where you need a marker. Works well when drilling in no till, or when the dust is with you, or after dark when it's hard to see a mark on the ground.

Not to mention that if you have to quit for more than a short period of time in the middle of a field when spraying, you're not going to be able to find your place again with foam, unless you can find some dye stains on the ground and it didn't rain, whereas GPS can save your field positon pretty much indefinitely.
Cal,

The foam we use lasts up to 24 hrs. I d almost say that your a sales person for GPS units.
No, but if any dealer would like to pay me a commission I'd gladly accept. :lol:

But if you're out of a field for 24hrs. MAX, you're SOL unless you marked your last pass some other way.
 

Red Robin

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 23, 2005
Messages
4,377
Reaction score
1
Location
8 mi S.E. of Harrison, Ar.
I do some spraying in waist high grass sometimes. It gets a little hard to find your foam occasionally but for what I do , I doubt a gps would be cost efficient. Nice thought though.
 

Manitoba_Rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,117
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
PPRM said:
Manitoba,
If they aren't planting crops, what are they doing with the ground? Just curious,


PPRM

PPRM,


Most are going to summerfallow there ground this year. Input costs are just way to high and grain prices way too low.
 

PPRM

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,960
Reaction score
8
Location
NE Oregon
I see, Thanks for replying.....Seems like lots of talk of less grains getting planted and more Corn being used for Biofuels, so maybe things will turn a bit,

PPRM
 

George

Well-known member
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
2,344
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
I was drug kicking and screaming into GPS - - - my son also helps other farmers in the area and felt it was worth the expense. We have been row cropping about 1,500 acres a year and I did not feel we could afford the cost.

After three years I wish we had moved a little sooner as I feel it only took about 2 years of seed and chemical savings to pay for the system and we are able to do a better job and we have been able to work in conditions that in the past would not have been possible without scrificing quality of work. That is no skips or overlaps.

My son does not even use the markers on the 12 row planter any more ( I still do) and his rows are probably strighter than mine. We have picked up more ground with out expanding equipment and this has been possible at least in part to the GPS systems.

We use GPS on the planter tractor, drill tractor ( for soybeans) and on the sprayrig.
 

Shelly

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,634
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan
We have used ours on the deep-bander putting down anhydrous, on the drill when we're seeding, and on the sprayer. With the money we saved by not overlapping, the system has paid for itself. We would never go back to markers or foam. They are so accurate, you can leave a field that you haven't finished spraying, come back and it'll tell you where you left off.
 

Latest posts

Top