• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hope this is the market that greets us sale day!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

CattleRMe

Reaction score
Last week at the North Platte Nebraska saleyard a gentleman sold 400 pound calves for $1.60.

Ran out of grass so went to town looks like it worked out well.

Open borders and trade seem to create that type of optimism, I hope it keeps up!

THUD!!!!!!!!!!!!! (That's me, falling out of my chair, after reading your post.............) :shock:

Good grief!!!!!!! $1.60/#....................THUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D That's a great price for the seller, but who on earth can afford to pay that?! :shock:

I was watching sale at Aberdeen today via the internet. Wow, great prices for the sellers!!!! Good luck everyone in your endeavors to sell or buy.

We sold yeasterday on Superior Livestock and were pleased with the results. They didn't top the sale, weren't the bottom, but it was up from last year so smiles are seen around here.

The sale yeasterday was somewhat volitile. Some cattle just sold like crazy while others just didn't. Would just be crazy how one group would sell very well and the next would just do ok and the appearance of the cattle were about the same. I suppose some of where they are and the cost of how much it was gonna cost the buyer to truck them had something to do with it.

We sold some yearling 700# open heifers here yeasterday for 1.18 was well pleased.

Still more money per head for the 6 wts.

I depends on if the 6 wt calves are a lil fleshy.

The 4 wts must have looked pretty good. Lots of frame to grow into, and lean off dry grass.

Ranchers always say they can't see the difference between lots of calves selling, but the buyers can. A calf carrying 30 pounds of water or one that has been on oats and is fatter can't make the gain like one that is off hard grass and is empty.

The shrink and distance to scales etc. can make a nickel on a group of calves.

Good 6 wts here should bring $1.30. They will sell from $1.10 to $1.40 depending on the quality and sale.

We got our calf needs filled at Ft. piere and Philip SD this past week. Was ok with the price but will have to market carefully. Calves are going to salebarn 2 months earlier than usual due to the drought.

Yeah he got paid a whopping $35 bucks for 200 pounds-it's like szelling grass cattle once they get much past 850-900 pounds it's pretty much a law of diminishing returns. I guess their must be some cheap feed around if the buyers want to feed weight on instead of buy it.

We have a friend who bought some light fly weight calves last year and he said that it would of been better deal to buy the heavier calves as it cost more to put on the added pounds..

katrina said:
We have a friend who bought some light fly weight calves last year and he said that it would of been better deal to buy the heavier calves as it cost more to put on the added pounds..

Cost of gain is hovering around $.50 per lb.

Cost of purchase is around $1.00 per lb.

With fats just above $.80................................

Do the math.

Hmmm lets see

(1200lbs x .80) -(405 x1.70)+(800 x.50)=

960-(688.50 +400) = -$128.50

(1200 x.80) - (600 x 1.20) -(600 x .50)=

960- (720 + 300) = $ -40

The light calves will be selling into a different market but neither one looks too shiny- you know with the border open or closed cattle still have to be bought right to work.Better hope they ring the bell on the grid. Would those light calves be going onto wheat pasture-if so what's the COG on it. That's an industry we don't really have up north here.

I think its more the trend of the week on some of these prices...At a couple of the earlier Superior sales the trend was to pay more for the heavier weight 600-650 lbers...

I see Brent and the folks at Big Dry Angus did pretty good on their "culls" again this year...They always sell the steers that aren't up to bull quality and the heifers they don't keep as replacements in a one price package-- if you want the heifers you buy the steers too- and for the last couple years they have pretty well topped the Superior Sales...

They sold one load of 55 500lb heifers/ 42 500lb steers for $1.44 straight across- for Oct. 1 delivery...

Not bad......

The part of the Superior sale that I watched the lighter weights really took it in the shorts. Some under 500 lbs heifers only brought 1.21 while some 515 steers brought around 1.34. 575 steers seemed to bring 133.5 - 136.

Latest posts