• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Horse hip question.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jamiehuggins

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 11, 2010
Messages
64
Reaction score
0
Location
new mexico
Has anyone had any experience with hip issues with your horse? If so what were the issues and how did you solve them? Was your horse 100% sound after or was there still a smaller issue? Thank you.
 

Soapweed

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
16,257
Reaction score
41
Location
northern Nebraska Sandhills
jamiehuggins said:
Has anyone had any experience with hip issues with your horse? If so what were the issues and how did you solve them? Was your horse 100% sound after or was there still a smaller issue? Thank you.

My best horse, Tom Cat, got stifled when he was eight years old. I took him to the Rushville Veterinary Clinic in Rushville, Nebraska. Dr. Steve Willnerd operated, and took out a piece of tendon. After doing it to the injured side, he also took the precaution to do the same thing on the other side. He said that if one side has problems, often the other side can meet a similar fate. After a month of rest and recuperation, I started using the horse again. He was a little stiff at first, but soon got back to his original abilities. Now Tom Cat is still going strong as a kid horse, and he will turn 30 years old this spring. I have considered the $200 cost of the operation some of the best money I ever spent.
 

Bruce

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 22, 2009
Messages
179
Reaction score
0
Location
Northern Alberta Canada
Parden my ignorance Soapweed, but what is "stifled" exactly? I've heard the word used alot but have never dealt with it. From your post I assume it has to do with a tendon, is it just above the hock or higher in the hip?
Alway's crippling or sometime's just "sore in the morning"?

I had a nice 4yr old gelding once that started haveing hock trouble, he would put weight on it and it would almost "hold" then pop with an audible click and a visible nuckle (almost like when someone crack's their finger joint, but in reverse?) An ol'time friend of mine looked at him and said he'd had the same problem alway's gelding's and alway's between 4-6 yr's of age and it alway's went away with rest. I gave him the summer off.....and sold him to a neighbor.....hehehe....just kidding, 10 yr's later he's still going strong.
 

Soapweed

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
16,257
Reaction score
41
Location
northern Nebraska Sandhills
Bruce said:
Parden my ignorance Soapweed, but what is "stifled" exactly? I've heard the word used alot but have never dealt with it. From your post I assume it has to do with a tendon, is it just above the hock or higher in the hip?
Alway's crippling or sometime's just "sore in the morning"?

I had a nice 4yr old gelding once that started having hock trouble, he would put weight on it and it would almost "hold" then pop with an audible click and a visible nuckle (almost like when someone crack's their finger joint, but in reverse?) An ol'time friend of mine looked at him and said he'd had the same problem alway's gelding's and alway's between 4-6 yr's of age and it alway's went away with rest. I gave him the summer off.....and sold him to a neighbor.....hehehe....just kidding, 10 yr's later he's still going strong.

This explains a stifle much better than I could.

http://www.horses-and-horse-information.com/articles/0197stifl.shtml
 

Bruce

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 22, 2009
Messages
179
Reaction score
0
Location
Northern Alberta Canada
Soapweed said:
Bruce said:
Parden my ignorance Soapweed, but what is "stifled" exactly? I've heard the word used alot but have never dealt with it. From your post I assume it has to do with a tendon, is it just above the hock or higher in the hip?
Alway's crippling or sometime's just "sore in the morning"?

I had a nice 4yr old gelding once that started having hock trouble, he would put weight on it and it would almost "hold" then pop with an audible click and a visible nuckle (almost like when someone crack's their finger joint, but in reverse?) An ol'time friend of mine looked at him and said he'd had the same problem alway's gelding's and alway's between 4-6 yr's of age and it alway's went away with rest. I gave him the summer off.....and sold him to a neighbor.....hehehe....just kidding, 10 yr's later he's still going strong.

This explains a stifle much better than I could.

http://www.horses-and-horse-information.com/articles/0197stifl.shtml

Thank's I'm going to mark that site as a favorite, look's like lot's of info. there!!
Only trouble is most readily available info seem's to come from the over educated and under experienced! Holy smoke's I wasn't look'n to buid a horse from scratch! I am just looking for the termanology a good horseman would use :) That does clear up a couple of question's I've had from listening to bad source's (shoot they could'nt even count there own.....elbow's, so I tried not to learn anything, but you know a little mistruth can go along way's when you don't know any better : )
Thank's again!
 

Latest posts

Top