• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Horse slaughter - en espanol

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Texan

Reaction score
Anybody that's ever REALLY cared about a horse might not want to look at this picture and read the caption. Or even read the article.

Thanks to Bo Derek and Willie Nelson and all of the 'real horse lovers'. Everybody tried to tell 'em this would happen.

There's a slide show with even more pics at the link.

I'll give everybody one last chance NOT to see this. Don't scroll down any more unless you're sure...

311xInlineGallery.jpg

Horses at the Ciudad Juarez plant are stabbed in the back until the spinal cord is severed, then hoisted so their throats can be slit.
JERRY LARA: SAN ANTONIO EXPRESS-NEWS

U.S. ban on horse slaughter means a more gruesome death elsewhere
Rising numbers of the animals face primitive end at foreign plants

By LISA SANDBERG
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau

CIUDAD JUAREZ, MEXICO — The American mare swung her head frantically when the door to the kill box shut, trapping her inside. A worker jabbed her in the back with a small knife seven, eight, nine times.

Eyes wild, she lowered her head and raised it as the blade punctured her body around the withers, again and again.

At the 10th jab, she fell to the floor of this Mexican slaughterhouse, bloodied and paralyzed but not yet dead.

She would lie there two minutes before being hoisted upside down from a chained rear leg so her throat could be slit and she could bleed to death.

The primitive procedure at the Ciudad Juarez plant is now the fate of thousands of exported U.S. horses since court rulings have shut horse slaughter operations in the United States.

The roan mare was one of nearly 30,000 American horses shipped to Mexican processing plants this year, a 370 percent increase from the number recorded this time last year.

By the time she and her peers were led into this city-owned plant, they had typically traveled in packed trucks 700 miles or more, say the American traders who ship them.

Some arrive dead. Many of the others come in "fractured, battered and bruised," said Jose Cuellar, the plant veterinarian.

No one disputes that slaughter-bound horses have it far worse today than before U.S. courts, upholding state bans, closed two plants to horse slaughtering in Texas earlier this year and the nation's single remaining one in Illinois on Sept. 21.

Animal welfare advocates who lobbied to end horse slaughter in the United States gambled that Congress would pass legislation by next year barring horses from being exported for slaughter and preventing horse slaughter plants from opening in states that don't have bans. But the fate of the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act is uncertain.

"I think (the odds of the ban passing are) 50-50 this session," said U.S. Rep. Ed Whitfield, R-Kentucky, a leading opponent of horse slaughter who sits on the House Energy and Commerce Committee. HR 503 passed the House last year, but a companion bill died in the Senate. The legislation reintroduced this year is pending.

The mythic creature
John Holland, a horse slaughter opponent from Virginia, likens the fight to warfare: attack the industry from all sides and deprive it of profits, while pressing Congress for a federal law banning horse exports. "The federal ban is the name of the game and everybody in the anti-slaughter community knows it," he said.

More than 100,000 U.S. horses were slaughtered last year for foreign dinner plates, according to government figures. There have been 15,000 fewer American horses slaughtered this year since the U.S. operations closed compared with this time last year, even counting the jump in the number being shipped to Mexico and Canada, Holland said.

"It made it better for (15,000) horses who are not being slaughtered, but it made it worse for those who are. No doubt about it," Holland said. "If you told me we'd never get the federal ban, would I have worked hard to get the plants shut while horses are exported? No."

Lower in fat than beef and sweeter, horsemeat is considered a delicacy in places such as France, Belgium, Switzerland, Japan and Russia.

Laurent Mailhet, a third-generation butcher from the town of Lunel, in the south of France, says horsemeat is tastier than beef, and for good reason.

"The horse is an animal that selects its food," avoiding certain grasses. Cattle, he said, are less discriminating.

But in Mexico, horsemeat is perceived as inferior to beef, selling for about 30 percent less, and it's sometimes sold as beef to unsuspecting customers.

It never gained much of a U.S. following, even though it's legal to consume in states other than Texas, California, Oklahoma and Illinois.

Opponents argue that domestic horses shouldn't be used to satisfy foreign palates and that the slaughtering process was cruel in the U.S. and is worse in Mexico. Horses played a special role in U.S. history, they say, helping conquer the West, providing the sinews of early commerce and serving as majestic friends, not food.

"Horses have helped us settle this country, they've been our primary means of transportation, they've served us in battle and carried our mail, entertained us and been our companions. They've been so much to us, but the one thing they haven't been is dinner," said Michael Markarian, executive vice president of the Humane Society of the United States.

Though millions of cats and dogs wind up euthanized in animal shelters each year, Markarian notes, "the answer has never been to send them for slaughter to countries where they would be considered food animals."

Proponents of horse slaughter say they, too, have horses' best interests at heart. Banning it, they say, will result each year in the abandonment of tens of thousands of unwanted horses.

The salvage market
To avoid a trip to the slaughterhouse, a horse needs to carry itself well at auction. Paraded into the sale yard before a crowd, horses have about a minute to demonstrate that they're broken in, tame, physically fit, not too old.

Traders known as "killer buyers" flock to auction houses, such as the monthly horse sale in Stephenville, scooping up horses and ponies that are crippled, blind, don't ride well or are just plain unwanted. The traders stand inside the sale yard, surveying each animal, ready to bid as little as $60 for a so-called salvage market horse.

Mike McBarron is one of about a dozen such buyers in Texas. Fifteen of the 21 horses he snapped up in Stephenville the first Friday of September failed to convince him they had some quality more valuable than the 20 cents to 30 cents a pound they would command at slaughter.

"Every one of them is either cripple or crazy or don't ride at all," McBarron said, surveying his latest acquisition of mostly thoroughbreds.

McBarron, 36, who's been trading horses since he dropped out of ninth grade and makes more money selling saddle horses not bound for slaughter, knows he's got no celebrities rooting for him, no Bo Dereks or Willie Nelsons writing letters to Congress on his behalf. (Both are in the opposing camp).

He knows many feel contempt for traders who can flip a horse without giving it much more than a glance, who can assess truckloads of sentimental creatures in dollars and cents.

But McBarron insists he's providing a kind of service, saving unwanted horses from abandonment and providing instant payment to an owner who might otherwise have to shell out a couple of hundred dollars to have it euthanized by a veterinarian and buried.

"I promise you, if there was anybody in America other than the packinghouses that wanted to buy him, I'd gladly sell 'em," McBarron said.

The closure of the Texas plants has hit killer buyers hard. McBarron, who lives in the North Texas town of Kaufman, site of one of the closed plants, said it now costs him about $100 to send each horse to Mexico, leaving his profit between $20 to $50 per horse.

Animal welfare advocates take issue with the argument that owners would abandon horses if they could not sell them for slaughter. They say killer buyers often outbid others to buy horses that might otherwise end up on someone's ranch.

"They create a market," Holland said.

Markarian said horse slaughter peaked in the 1980s, when as many as 350,000 horses were killed annually for their meat. The gradual closure of plants didn't lead to thousands of horses running wild or dying in their pastures, he said.

The killing floor
Under the metal roof in Stephenville, in the warm air long after midnight, time was running out for McBarron's newly purchased herd.

At 10 the next morning, they would be put in a cattle truck and shipped 565 miles to El Paso. Transferred to another truck for a short haul across the border, they would then be put on a Mexican truck where they become Mexican horses and subject to Mexico's regulations, said one U.S. Department of Agriculture official.

Perhaps they'd stay in Juarez, perhaps they'd be shipped to one of two large plants in the city of Zacatecas, 700 or so miles to the south, or another plant.

About a quarter of the nearly 400 horses auctioned at Stephenville this month were sold for slaughter. Some might have once won a few ribbons and been somebody's pet; others may have spent their lives tied to a tree and cropping grass. Histories are difficult to come by at auctions. But when the trucks arrived, they would all share the same fate.

Not all horses screech while being stabbed in the back. But horses tend to stir, making the task of killing them a challenge.

The Juarez plant has a couple of captive bolt guns, but they're inoperable about half the time. And when they do work, poor training can make their use almost as chaotic as the knives, said Cuellar, the plant's vet.

The knife wielders have to be nimble, with good aim, if they want to sever the spinal cord with a single blow. The man on duty one recent day had atrocious aim, with horses enduring as many as 13 jabs to the back before collapsing.

The brutality left the plant's director, Luis Terrazas Muñoz, apologetic. "It's like watching someone with an ice pick," he observed. But he said he can't shut the plant down just because the guns aren't working.

Temple Grandin, a professor of animal science at Colorado State University who has researched ways to reduce stress on slaughter animals and designed the facilities where about half the cattle are handled at U.S. plants, called the "puntilla" technique employed in Mexico "horrific beyond belief" and "one of the absolute worst ways to kill an animal."

Repeated jabs to the spinal cord, she said, would not kill the horse, at least not right away. Jabs to the spinal cord would just render it a quadriplegic. A clean jab to the spinal cord, which is difficult to do, would dull sensation in the body but not in the head.

Once a horse collapses, it's left on its own for two minutes. Then a worker attaches a chain to one of its hind legs. Slowly, it's hoisted. Then its throat is slit.

"The horse would likely experience being hoisted up, and it's probably going to experience being bled. It would likely experience 30 seconds to a minute of absolute terror," Grandin said.

The ones that die on the way to the plant are thrown out with the unused body parts of the other horses. In the U.S., a wounded or sick horse would likely have been put down by a plant vet. But at the Juarez plant, sick horses are taken to the front of the line — or dragged — and slaughtered. Whether their meat is used is determined by the vet.

The puntilla method is used in older slaughterhouses throughout Mexico, said Terrazas. Newer plants are supposed to use captive bolt guns, but he was not sure if they are doing so.

Europe bars the importation of meat from animals that have not been stunned prior to being bled. The European Convention also says large animals cannot be suspended or constrained before being stunned. The two plants in Zacatecas serve the European Union, and much of the rest of the horsemeat is consumed in Mexico.

The U.S. method

Horses were slaughtered at U.S. plants with a strike to the forehead from captive bolt guns. Grandin maintains that death came quickly and painlessly. Some animal welfare advocates disagree, saying a horse's quick movements and narrow forehead left some having to be hit multiple times before their brains were shattered.

In Canada, horses at two large plants, in Quebec and Alberta, are killed with a shot to the head with a .22, said the plants' owner, Claude Bouvry.

More than 18,000 horses have been exported to Canada so far this year, a 26 percent rise over last year's USDA figures. Those numbers are likely to grow, given the ruling last week by a federal appeals court ordering the closure of the horse slaughter operation in Illinois.

For the time being, American horses will continue to be shipped by American traders to foreign-owned plants and butchered. Their meat will continue to make its way into small shops such as Dennise Reta's El Lucero in downtown Juarez, where customers can buy cutlets, steaks and ground meat.

And activists will continue to pressure Congress to protect American horses from this fate.

Chronicle Washington Bureau reporter Michelle Mittelstadt contributed to this report.

[email protected]

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5175642.html

Damn smug do gooders feeling all fuzzy about their good deeds really need to see this.

Well, that just made me sick to the stomach. I should've heeded the warning not to read this.

Don't worry Willie and Bo are working on it- :wink: :( :( :mad: - trying to get shipping horses to Canada and to Mexico banned-- so none can end up in slaughter...
They already got the canner price down to $5 to $10--- some auction yards are requiring you put a deposit down to cover the commission if they don't sell or they can't get the commission out of the price....

There is nothing wrong with HUMANE slaughter of these animals for meat (even though I will never eat it). Making it illegal to slaughter horses will create all sorts of abusive situations such as this.

Soapweed and I where headed to the neighbors after a calf this afternoon. As we were going on our little trip we spied an old retired horse out in some ones pasture that was a rack of bones even tho it was the end of the summer. It will never make the winter but we need to get used to it cause there will be alot more like it from now on. :mad:

quote="Saddletramp"]Soapweed and I where headed to the neighbors after a calf this afternoon. As we were going on our little trip we spied an old retired horse out in some ones pasture that was a rack of bones even tho it was the end of the summer. It will never make the winter but we need to get used to it cause there will be alot more like it from now on. :mad:[/quote] :!: EXACTALLY--Need to see a number to call when this happens?Have had to do when didn't like to,But better than that??

I totally understand how easy it is to get attached to horses because I have grown up around them and love them. There was a time in my life when I was younger that I was horse crazy. Having said that I will continue and wonder why it is so horrible in the publics eyes to slaughter horses when thousands of cattle are slaughtered daily. I don't ever plan on eating horse meat but for some it is considered meat just as beef is on our tables. For cattle or horses being slaughtered they both deserve to be handled in the most humane way possible. Just my thoughts.

CattleArmy said:
I totally understand how easy it is to get attached to horses because I have grown up around them and love them. There was a time in my life when I was younger that I was horse crazy. Having said that I will continue and wonder why it is so horrible in the publics eyes to slaughter horses when thousands of cattle are slaughtered daily. I don't ever plan on eating horse meat but for some it is considered meat just as beef is on our tables. For cattle or horses being slaughtered they both deserve to be handled in the most humane way possible. Just my thoughts.

What do you think their next target will be? If they get away with this one cattle slaughter will be next.

There is a prevailing attitude among these people that so long as it isn't happening in their back yard,they can ignore it. Would it help to 'dump' a herd of terminal horses on these peoples' properties? an alternative, seeing as so many are city folk, is to dump a few hundred in Central park, and let them find an "acceptable" soution to the problem of old age horses.

This is my theory-- just a theory!!!

I wonder who owns the plants in Canada and Mexico that all these horses are being diverted too?? Compared to who owned the ones that were shut down in the U.S.?? Could someone have paid off Congressmen to get this to happen?? follow the money!!! Who's profiting from this?? Then after 3-5 years the same congressmen say wooops, we made a mistake, make it legal to slaughter horses in the U.S. again,
give a federal subsidy(taxpayers money) to one of the major packers to build a few kill plants with. There is a backlog of a few 100 thousand horses(supply and demand) so they get them for pennies. Someone makes Billions.
" The love of money is the root of all evil"
the picture looks pretty evil to me!!

P.S.

if you guys don't ever hear from me again you can then assume that my theory was correct.
"Big Brother" was monitoring my computer and sent a black helicopter for me.
CNN will write it up as another "freeman" kook in an isolated cabin in Montana having a standoff with Federal Authorities.

LC I am invested in NVF in Wosley,Sk that is slaughtering horses on contract 2 days a week for a foreign company. And yeah they were in the US but have been shut down. May I suggest a mental health professional to deal with you paranoia. They have some good medicines now adays.

Latest posts