• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

House Budget cuts Food Stamp Program

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Catholic bishops criticize Ryan budget cuts to food stamps
By Jonathan Easley

The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops is criticizing the House-passed Republican budget for cutting food stamps and other assistance programs for the poor.
In a letter to the House Agriculture Committee, the bishops say the budget fails to meet certain "moral criteria" by disproportionately cutting programs that "serve poor and vulnerable people."

The move by the bishops follows Rep. Paul Ryan's (R-Wis.) comments that his Catholic faith shaped the budget he authored. He also argued the budget is consistent with Catholic teachings.

Everyone has been wondering what will bust the bubble on the record high cow and calf prices- along with the other protein meats and grain prices...
This may just be the tool that does it...

While I agree that the Food Stamp program has been misused and abused- and needs much tougher enforcement- those folks need to realize the program not only aids the needy- but also supports prices of the countries producers by raising demand..
Definitely a double edged sword!

Oldtimer said:
By Jonathan Easley

The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops is criticizing the House-passed Republican budget for cutting food stamps and other assistance programs for the poor.
In a letter to the House Agriculture Committee, the bishops say the budget fails to meet certain "moral criteria" by disproportionately cutting programs that "serve poor and vulnerable people."

The move by the bishops follows Rep. Paul Ryan's (R-Wis.) comments that his Catholic faith shaped the budget he authored. He also argued the budget is consistent with Catholic teachings.

Everyone has been wondering what will bust the bubble on the record high cow and calf prices- along with the other protein meats and grain prices...

While I agree that the Food Stamp program has been misused and abused- and needs much tougher enforcement- those folks need to realize the program not only aids the needy- but also supports prices of the countries producers by raising demand..

How does the food stamp program increase demand for food?

Big Muddy rancher said:
So your telling us the American Cattleman has been subsidized by the Food Stamp program?

How did the American Cattleman ever survive before the "food stamp President"?

OT, how much beef consumption increased with the increase in food stamps, under obama?

1239447338_Bwsx7-O.png

Why would an expanded food stamp program be needed, if like obama has said, the economy is improving?

Wouldn't growth in the economy, increase demand for the American Cattleman's product more so than the food stamp program?

Big Muddy rancher said:
So your telling us the American Cattleman has been subsidized by the Food Stamp program?

No only oldtimer!! You know how good it has all been in MT. :roll: :roll: :roll:now we know why oldtimer has it so good

Ya'll be careful there. If the far right coast and the far left coast elect this idiot again, we may all qualify for food stamps.

Obama lost Texas during the last election and will lose Texas by a larger margin this time. What good does that do us? We're still stuck with him.

Oldtimer said:
By Jonathan Easley

Just like a liberal to worry only about your own personal finances. :roll:

While I agree that the Food Stamp program has been misused and abused- and needs much tougher enforcement- those folks need to realize the program not only aids the needy

yes often besides the needy, the greedy, lazy drug addicted and just plain sleazy get food stamps as well...

by cutting food stamps maybe then it will force the liberals giving them out to actually do their job of monitoring the program instead of writing blank checks and not caring who gets them...

by cutting food stamps those who need them might actually use them for what they were intended.,.. instead of the luxuries few of US can afford..

by cutting food stamps.. you might actually encourage a few to actually get out and work harder to support their families..

when time got tough for most Americans we cut out the extras.. and focused more on the necessities.. maybe it is a lesson some of the poor learn as well..

Steve said:
While I agree that the Food Stamp program has been misused and abused- and needs much tougher enforcement- those folks need to realize the program not only aids the needy

yes often besides the needy, the greedy, lazy drug addicted and just plain sleazy get food stamps as well...

Welfare fraud charges filed against lottery winner

By the CNN Wire Staff
updated 4:54 PM EDT, Tue April 17, 2012

(CNN) -- A Michigan woman who won a million-dollar lottery but continued to receive welfare benefits is now charged with fraud, the attorney general said Tuesday.

Amanda Clayton, 25, collected thousands of dollars in state assistance for months after she won $1 million in the 'Make Me Rich" game sponsored by the Michigan lottery, a statement from state officials said.

"It's simply common sense that million-dollar lottery winners forfeit their right to public assistance," said Attorney General Bill Schuette.

Clayton, a Lincoln Park resident, faces two felony counts of welfare fraud after being investigated by the Department of Human Services and the Office of Inspector General.

The inquiry revealed that not only did Clayton fail to report her lottery winnings and other employment earnings, as state law requires, she also "allegedly collected approximately $5,475 in food and medical benefits" she would have been ineligible for.

According to Michigan law, welfare recipients must report any changes in assets or income to the agency within 10 days.

"I thought that they would cut me off, but since they didn't, I thought, maybe it was OK because I'm not working," Clayton, 24, told CNN affiliate WDIV when it asked whether it was appropriate for her to receive the money.

Clayton bought a new house and car after winning the lottery in October 2011. According to state officials, she received public assistance from August 2010 through March 2012.

After taking a lump sum and paying taxes, Clayton said she ended up with just more than $500,000.

Asked if she had the right to the public assistance money, Clayton answered, "I kind of do. I have no income, and I have bills to pay. I have two houses."

New legislation -- which includes Senate Bill 711 and 712, and House Bill 5033 -- will block lottery winners from receiving government benefits.

Gov. Rick Snyder signed all the bills last Wednesday.

"That commitment to investigation and uncovering the truth, combined with the new law recently enacted by the legislature and signed by the governor, will make it easier to ensure that outrages involving instant millionaires on public assistance don't happen in the future," said Maura Corrigan, director of the state's Department of Human Services.

Like this gal?
I still think the program is better than just handing out cash for welfare- and if strictly enforced- both of recipients and of food service providers- benefits not only the needy but the countries Ag producers ...

That is just one person of thousands and thousands oldtimer, what is your monthly take? :roll:

Oldtimer said:
Like this gal?
I still think the program is better than just handing out cash for welfare- and if strictly enforced- both of recipients and of food service providers- benefits not only the needy but the countries Ag producers ...

OT, jobs would allow these people to buy beef, instead of hotdogs :roll:

OT, how much has inflation increased the amount needed for the food stamps program, in the last 3 years?

Bet you a hundred if they welfare recip had to put in say 5 hrs a week in community a service, the line to apply would get a heck of a lot shorter.

Oldtimer said:

You see, this is why you folks need someone here who speaks more than one language.

I not only speak English, I'm proficient in Spanish, and I'm getting pretty good at decifering OT-Drunkenese.

Key in all of this is the (R) behind Paul Ryan's name.

So, to translate, it would go something like this: Republicans bad for ag prices, Dems good.

cowman52 said:
Bet you a hundred if they welfare recip had to put in say 5 hrs a week in community a service, the line to apply would get a heck of a lot shorter.

Illegal Use of Food Stamps
Recipients of food stamps from the Montana SNAP program are only allowed to use their stamps for edible food items. The stamps cannot be used to purchase alcohol or food from restaurant establishments. It is illegal to trade or sell food stamps drugs, firearms or ammunition.

Residency and Citizenship
To receive food stamp benefits through the Montana SNAP program, you must be a U.S. citizen or legal immigrant and a permanent resident of Montana. Legal immigrants must reside in the U.S. for a minimum of five years before they can become eligible for food stamps.

Work Requirements
To maintain food stamp benefits, Montana residents who are not disabled and are between the ages of 16 and 60 must work a minimum of 30 hours per week. Individuals who do not maintain a work schedule of 30 hours per week will lose their benefits until they resume working.

Maximum Income
As of February 2011, the maximum income a Montana resident receiving food stamps can earn is $14,079 per year. For each additional household member, an individual's income can be increased by $4,862. The maximum amount of assets an individual can possess is $2,001. Participants with at least one household member over the age of 60 or with a disability can possess up to $3,001 in assets.

Time Restraints
Residents who are not disabled or have any dependents who are minors can only receive food stamps for 90 days during a 36 month period. There is no time limit for households with children. Time restraints for disabled individuals are variant upon the length of their disability.

Penalties
Individuals who knowingly violate a rule of the SNAP program will be prosecuted in a court of law and can be fined up to $250,000 and/or sentenced to up to 20 years in prison. Any household member who intentionally violates a SNAP rule will be banned from receiving benefits for one year for their first offense; two years for their second offense; and permanently for their third offense.

In Montana you have to work in order to qualify for foodstamps...
Like I said earlier- much of the requirements, verification, and enforcement is up to the individual states-- and some states are extremely lax...

Oldtimer said:
Like I said earlier- much of the requirements, verification, and enforcement is up to the individual states-- and some states are extremely lax...

and you don't seem to have a problem subsidizing those other states' lax programs, with yoour federal taxes

Imagine if it was a totally state run program without federal interference

Oldtimer said:
cowman52 said:

Illegal Use of Food Stamps
Recipients of food stamps from the Montana SNAP program are only allowed to use their stamps for edible food items. The stamps cannot be used to purchase alcohol or food from restaurant establishments. It is illegal to trade or sell food stamps drugs, firearms or ammunition.

Residency and Citizenship
To receive food stamp benefits through the Montana SNAP program, you must be a U.S. citizen or legal immigrant and a permanent resident of Montana. Legal immigrants must reside in the U.S. for a minimum of five years before they can become eligible for food stamps.

Work Requirements
To maintain food stamp benefits, Montana residents who are not disabled and are between the ages of 16 and 60 must work a minimum of 30 hours per week. Individuals who do not maintain a work schedule of 30 hours per week will lose their benefits until they resume working.

Maximum Income
As of February 2011, the maximum income a Montana resident receiving food stamps can earn is $14,079 per year. For each additional household member, an individual's income can be increased by $4,862. The maximum amount of assets an individual can possess is $2,001. Participants with at least one household member over the age of 60 or with a disability can possess up to $3,001 in assets.

Time Restraints
Residents who are not disabled or have any dependents who are minors can only receive food stamps for 90 days during a 36 month period. There is no time limit for households with children. Time restraints for disabled individuals are variant upon the length of their disability.

Penalties
Individuals who knowingly violate a rule of the SNAP program will be prosecuted in a court of law and can be fined up to $250,000 and/or sentenced to up to 20 years in prison. Any household member who intentionally violates a SNAP rule will be banned from receiving benefits for one year for their first offense; two years for their second offense; and permanently for their third offense.

NOT EXACTLY all true oldtimer notice nothing is said about must WORK

Able-bodied household members who are age 16 through 59 must register for work, and may be required to participate in a SNAP Employment and Training Program unless a specified exemption is met.

http://www.dphhs.mt.gov/hcsd/snap/index.shtml

To me, hoppy, this part means you must work:

Work Requirements

----------------
Note that it says 'must'...

Thought you might have missed that.

From the Montana Application for SNAP:

WORK REQUIREMENTS
Individuals who are physically and mentally fit and between the ages of 16 and 60 shall be ineligible for SNAP benefits if they: (1) refuse without good cause to provide sufficient information to allow a determination of their employment status or job availability; (2) voluntarily and without good cause quit a job; or (3) voluntarily and without good cause reduce their work effort (and after the reduction, are working less than 30 hours a week).
Individuals who live in a county with a SNAP Employment and Training Program may attend this program.

They DO NOT "Have" to work. If they "Involuntarily" lose their job, they are still eligible.............................................

Mike said:

WORK REQUIREMENTS
Individuals who are physically and mentally fit and between the ages of 16 and 60 shall be ineligible for SNAP benefits if they: (1) refuse without good cause to provide sufficient information to allow a determination of their employment status or job availability; (2) voluntarily and without good cause quit a job; or (3) voluntarily and without good cause reduce their work effort (and after the reduction, are working less than 30 hours a week).
Individuals who live in a county with a SNAP Employment and Training Program may attend this program.

They DO NOT "Have" to work. If they "Involuntarily" lose their job, they are still eligible.............................................

Got it. Thanks Mike.

Faster horses said:
Mike said:

WORK REQUIREMENTS

Got it. Thanks Mike.

Please keep in mind that there are people who can successfully be terminated from a job "Involuntarily" to skirt the system................. and do it everyday.

Latest posts