• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

House GOP set to repeal incandescent bulb ban

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Republican House members are preparing themselves to take a stand to save the incandescent light bulb.

Monday, the House of Representatives will vote on H.R. 2417, the Better Use of Light Bulbs (BULB) Act, a bill to repeal the federal ban on the incandescent light bulb, contained in a 2007 energy law.

Sponsored by Texas Republican Rep. Joe Barton, the bill would protect Americans' ability to use the kind of light bulbs they want and not be forced to use mercury containing light sources such as compact fluorescent lights.

"This is about more than just energy consumption, it is about personal freedom. Voters sent us a message in November that it is time for politicians and activists in Washington to stop interfering in their lives and manipulating the free market," Barton said. "The light bulb ban is the perfect symbol of that frustration. People don't want Congress dictating what light fixtures they can use."

iStock_000008589301XSmall-243x325.jpg

Uncle_Fester-2.jpg

Uncle Fester Thanks the Republicans, those mercury filled bulbs are just to risky. :wink:

we use florescent bulbs in most of our lights now, but have a stash of bulbs to last at least a few years..

I needed several for a low heat lamp... for some reason the little critters didn't warm up to the cold harsh light a CF bulb gave off. :lol:

and with age. I need glasses and a good ol bulb to read the fine print these days.. (anything smaller then a 14 font is now fine print.. well actually fuzzy print).. :shock:

but since the last US light bulb factory already closed it's doors because of the last shortsighted law.. what is the point? so China or India can sell US more bulbs?

We are already only able to buy the mercury type, problem is, our son Craig, will not stay in a room with these bulbs, when we had one in his room he would sit in the dark! after we noticed an increase in his epileptic siezures both in severity and frequency, we sourced a supply of the old fashioned type.
He has moved into a sheltered home two weeks ago tomorrow, they only use the old type as well, as it is apparently known that the mercury bulbs affect epilepsy, and some forms of autism.

It was George W. Bush who passed the mercury bulb law in the first place.

I am afraid we're stuck with mercury poisoning. Guess the bulbs drive people crazy too. Guess it's a favor to make G.E. make more money. Get manufacturing in China and out of the U.S.

Juan Williams said on Fox News if you break one you just have to wait 15 minutes for it to evaporate and everything will be fine. I think that is bull.

lightninboy said:
It was George W. Bush who passed the mercury bulb law in the first place.

I am afraid we're stuck with mercury poisoning. Guess the bulbs drive people crazy too. Guess it's a favor to make G.E. make more money. Get manufacturing in China and out of the U.S.

Juan Williams said on Fox News if you break one you just have to wait 15 minutes for it to evaporate and everything will be fine. I think that is bull.

Bush never met a bill he didn't sign.. so yes he should be blamed for this stupidity... along with all the others who promoted this bill..

and,.....

Juan is right.. the mercury and other gases will be evaporated and dispersed in about fifteen minutes...

but one must consider that all the danger of dispersed gas is in the first few seconds, when the highest concentrations are in and around the area of the break..

so if you want to avoid any danger from escaping mercury gas and other vapors, leave the room well before breaking the bulbs and set your ventilation system to purge the room of all contaminated air and then all will be fine... :eek:

When I was in chemistry in school, mercury didn't evaporate. You could flush it down the drain or dump it in the wastebasket. It didn't evaporate into oblivion.

CFLs contain a very small amount of mercury sealed within the glass tubing – an average of 5 milligrams, which is roughly equivalent to an amount that would cover the tip of a ball-point pen.

usually when a large bulb is broken there is glass and powder... I am sure if it was all eaten it could be harmful.. :?

and while I did not look up the particulate size, it would be small...

the airing out of the room is more then likely due to the other gases used in the bulbs.

Latest posts