• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Household garbage and what to do with it

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tam

Reaction score
A Plan to Ship Garbage, but No Destination
By MICHAEL COOPER
Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said yesterday that the city would stop
hauling its trash out of state one truck at a time and instead adapt
dormant waterfront stations in each borough so garbage could be taken
off trucks, packed into containers and floated away by barge.Mr. Bloomberg called his plan for disposing of the roughly 11,000
tons of residential trash generated by New Yorkers each day a
"conceptual outline," and it raised at least as many questions as it
answered. The mayor could not say how much it would cost, and he left
one of the thorniest questions unanswered: where the trash would go.Since the Giuliani administration shut down the city's only
operating landfill, Fresh Kills in Staten Island, last year, the city
has used trucks to haul its waste to incinerators and landfills out of
state.
But Mr. Bloomberg said that his plan, which he made a priority of his
second hundred days in office, was prepared with two overarching goals
in mind: reducing the current truck traffic that clogs the city's
streets, damages its roads and pollutes its air and relies on land-based
trash-transfer stations, and giving the city more options to keep its
waste disposal costs steady in the future.
"We are not going to continue to give our kids lung diseases, no
matter what the cost is," the mayor said at City Hall as he announced
the plan. "That's the bottom line."
His plan calls for taking eight existing waterfront stations in
Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens that were once used for
sending barges of trash to Fresh Kills and rebuilding them to accept
garbage from trucks, compact it, pack it into sealed containers and load
them on barges.
A ninth station would be built on Staten Island that
could be used, for a change, for outgoing trash. The barges would be
unloaded at nearby ports, and the containers placed on ships or trains. ..... Such containers, which are roughly 20 feet long and 8 feet wide, are used for rail and sea freight around the world. Nearby ports could compete to take the containers off the barges and put them on either trains or ships. From there they could be transported to landfills anywhere in the country, or
the world, that would take them.

Pollution is a fact of life even though Jingy seems to think she/he/it has figured out how not to pollute. :roll: It is up to all of us to help out by limiting as much as possible. I choose to recycle some household garbage and incinerate the rest here where I live verses doing it the liberal way and hauling it to someone elses backyard even if that backyard in states far away or in another country and dumping it so it blows around where I can't see it, smell it or have it causing health problems for my family. :roll: LIBERALS :roll:

Tam said:
By MICHAEL COOPER
off trucks, packed into containers and floated away by barge.Mr. Bloomberg called his plan for disposing of the roughly 11,000
one of the thorniest questions unanswered: where the trash would go.Since the Giuliani administration shut down the city's only
state.
them on barges.
unloaded at nearby ports, and the containers placed on ships or trains. ..... Such containers, which are roughly 20 feet long and 8 feet wide, are used for rail and sea freight around the world. Nearby ports could compete to take the containers off the barges and put them on either trains or ships. From there they could be transported to landfills anywhere in the country, or

Pollution is a fact of life even though Jingy seems to think she/he/it has figured out how not to pollute. :roll: It is up to all of us to help out by limiting as much as possible. I choose to recycle some household garbage and incinerate the rest here where I live verses doing it the liberal way and hauling it to someone elses backyard even if that backyard in states far away or in another country and dumping it so it blows around where I can't see it, smell it or have it causing health problems for my family. :roll: LIBERALS :roll:

I believe that Bloomberg runs as a REPUBLICAN...so this is not a liberal idea but a Republican idea.....

Man, you must hold some guilt or be REALLY trashy as you just keep going on and on about one small statement.

" A hit dog always hollers"...............

jingo2 said:
Tam said:
By MICHAEL COOPER
state.
them on barges.

I believe that Bloomberg runs as a REPUBLICAN...so this is not a liberal idea but a Republican idea.....

Man, you must hold some guilt or be REALLY trashy as you just keep going on and on about one small statement.

There ya'll go barkin at the moon again

he!! kolo=jingo-lulu-=allie is just like any DOG always howling at the moon, :roll:
Like all untrained dogs they just keep howing to hear themselves :wink: :wink:

EH kolo=jingo=lulu=allie????? :D :D :D

jingo2 said:
Tam said:
By MICHAEL COOPER
state.
them on barges.

:???: :lol: :lol:

jingo2 said:
Tam said:
By MICHAEL COOPER
state.
them on barges.

Nope just proving what a liberal ________ you are and how little you know. :wink:

Personal details
Born Michael Rubens Bloomberg
February 14, 1942 (1942-02-14) (age 69)
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Political party Democratic (until 2001)
Republican (2001–2007)
Independent (2007–present)

A lifelong Democrat before seeking elective office, Bloomberg switched his registration in 2001 and ran for mayor as a Republican, winning the election that year and a second term in 2005. Bloomberg left the Republican Party over policy and philosophical disagreements with national party leadership in 2007 and ran for his third term in 2009 as an independent candidate

68 percent of New York City's registered voters are Democrats

Bloomberg is considered a social liberal, who is pro-choice, in favor of legalizing same-sex marriage and an advocate for stricter gun control laws.

Ognibene accused Bloomberg of betraying Republican Party ideals, a feeling echoed by others.

Bloomberg opposed the confirmation of John Roberts as Chief Justice of the United States. Though a Republican at the time, Bloomberg is a staunch supporter of abortion rights and did not believe that Roberts was committed to maintaining Roe v. Wade.

In addition to receiving Republican support, Bloomberg obtained the endorsements of several prominent Democrats: former Democratic Mayor Ed Koch; former Democratic governor Hugh Carey; former Democratic City Council Speaker Peter Vallone, and his son, Councilman Peter Vallone, Jr.; former Democratic Congressman Floyd Flake (who had previously endorsed Bloomberg in 2001), and Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz.

A lifelong Democrat that ran as a Republican after Republican Rudy Giuliani, was ineligible for re-election. Can we consider him an opportunist switching to whatever party that happens to be popular at the time. :?
He officially left the Republican party 4 years ago after only 6 year as a member. Unofficially I would say since he is considered a social liberal, he was a RINO in all senses of the word for those 6 years. And how can you blame him he had some pretty big Republican shoes to fill after Giuliani left.

But to consider him a Republican :roll:

Kolo=jingo=lulu=allie just has no clue about anything does SHE :wink:

I remember a trash-hauler's union strike that took place in New York City about thirty years ago. It was happening during the Christmas season. One enterprising man figured out how to get rid of his trash. Each day he wrapped his bundles of garbage with Christmas wrapping paper, drove to work, and conveniently "forgot" to lock the doors of his car. Sure enough, each evening his garbage was no longer a problem he needed to deal with. :wink:

Here is an idea - with all the talk on an energy shortage - why not take the garbage, compact it or what ever they do with it, and then use the gas that we all smell everytime we drive by a dump, and power the city with it. It looks like garbage is a renewable source of energy and it needs to go somewhere. Sure their will still be garbage to get rid of, but they could at least use the energy it makes instead of letting it all go out into the atmosphere.

Latest posts