• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How cold is it?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

It's so cold that the Preheat display on the tractor this morning said

" Wait to start, Time remaining,Three months"

:lol: I know the feeling. It was only -2 here this am and I didn't want to start very well either... :wink:
Good news though it is about 17 now and sunny so it doesn't seem so bad..

minus 32 C, no wind, sunny. Not to bad at all. Warm shop to keep from needing preheat. Most of the animals are still grazing or swath grazing. Keeping water in front of them is my big challenge. No creepy bugs or crawly things to worry about. Might even slow the pine beetle. It is going to be a good day.

-33C this morning, now its sittin' at -20.4C. Transmission won't shift in my old truck that has the hay on it :? . I need that truck this coming week so I can start hauling from the hay stack to the hay shed.... My xmas day project while I'm home by myself. :D

-31 with light snow this morning, circuit breaker on my 7400 block heater gave up last night so was up twice to start it and let run for a while. Did chores without a hitch. :D
Clear and -22 right now.

Had a high temp. of 30, now back down to 12. At least the sun shone some today, and the wind stayed away for a day :D .

only -20 here this morning,with a light snow.one tank was without ice the other was thin only needed a shovel to break and remove the n.h 7610 started on the second try .all in all a good day clear and -15 at the moment

gcreekrch said:
-31 with light snow this morning, circuit breaker on my 7400 block heater gave up last night so was up twice to start it and let run for a while. Did chores without a hitch. :D
Clear and -22 right now.

Good practice for calving heifers, huh??

It got up to zero this morning. The wind went down so I was overdressed and sweating while doing chores.

per said:
Keeping water in front of them is my big challenge.

Good golly, I hear that. Sandpoint pump house froze up when it dipped to -40C. After I got everything thawed out, the pump lost prime and I haven't managed to get it back. Cows are licking snow and just fine, but I've been running a garden hose from the house well, filling water troughs for the calves. Run water for a couple hours until the hose freezes, then drag it back in to thaw out. Repeat as necessary.

-28C here today. Feels almost summery compared to the last 2 weeks of misery.

Haven't even turned a track on the Scud this year :(

Rod

Big Muddy rancher said:
It's so cold that the Preheat display on the tractor this morning said

" Wait to start, Time remaining,Three months" :shock:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha heheheheheheheheehhe hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I laughed so hard I almost wet myself by spilling my drink. now my wife thinks I have either had too much or I got frostbite on my brain

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha heheheheheheheheehhe hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

3 below zero now. 25 mph NW wind. Lots of ice and snow. Spent all day getting stock feed and water. Tractor froze up twice, garden hose froze up while filling a temporary tank, Automatic waterer froze up 3 times today....I was froze up most of the day. Just miserable. Supposed to be 13 below tonight. IF ONLY THE WIND WOULD STOP BLOWING..... Didn't get to church this morning and the afternoon service was cancelled. Not much of a rest day...and in 10 hours I get to start all over again. Thankfully I have a warm home and enjoy listening to the furnace burning up all that 2 dollar a gallon propane.

THE NEXT WINTER STORM IS EXPECTED TO CROSS INTO THE AREA MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT BRINGING ACCUMULATING SNOW AND WIND CHILLS TO 45 DEGREES BELOW OR LESS.

Monday: A 50 percent chance of snow after 11am. Cloudy and cold, with a high near -2. Wind chill values as low as -46. East wind between 14 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Monday Night: Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around -13. Wind chill values as low as -33. North wind around 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Don't get too overly anxious for it to end-- don't know where this is heading when it goes past us- but we have another one coming.. :roll: :(

The heaviest snow is supposed to be south of the Missouri...But tomorrow sounds like another nasty day....

The day started at +8 F and ended at 0 F - - - -It is supposed to get back to +3 F tomorrow Plenty cold enough for me and mine.

Where did you get $2.00 propane - - - -The best price I can fine is $2.68 _-- - - - at least we are well insulated!

I doubt I will start any of the gravel pit tomorrow.

We have not had any accumulating snow yet so no money made plowing for the state or county.

WyomingRancher said:
Had a high temp. of 30, now back down to 12. At least the sun shone some today, and the wind stayed away for a day :D .

Heat wave in WY??? That's the spot I want to be..lol It's -9 tonite,,but during the day with winds a blowing around 30mph made for some chilly windchills...don't know for sure,,my temp gauge don't register that low below 0..! Alls I know it was dang cold!

All the way up to +1 F and predicted to go to +15 F for a high today. Wind chill is about - 21 F

At least no snow and the forcast is for about +50 on Christmas with a chance of rain.

Looks like a good time for working on equipment in the shop for a couple of days. I built a small shop ( 24' X 48' ) several years ago so that I could heat it. We can only get one piece of equipment in it at a time but is much better than trying to stay warm in a 54' X 69' shop.

We work in the bigger shop most of the year but we heat the small shop with used oil and have an attic exhaust fan in the rafters set to come on at 70 F or above and blow the heat back down. This fan alone cut our heating cost almost in half.

Not to bad here this morning. +2 balmy, light wind. Maybe a little snow moving in.

gcreekrch said:
That North wind is cold no matter what direction it comes from.

The same thing is said about our east wind. In fact, around here they say the east wind is lazy because it goes through a person instead of around it . . .

theony said:
Not to bad here this morning. +2 balmy, light wind. Maybe a little snow moving in.

Interesting- you must be at a higher elevation than me..Weather bureau on the hill saying -5, but only less than 2 miles away down in this hole of a river bottom its -10... :shock: And we have about a 20 to 25 mph East wind making my flag stand out from the flagpole pretty good- and pretty nippy on the face...

Yesterday I was watching the area weather- and I noticed all the higher elevations were warming up.... At Zortman mine it got to 11 Above- and is 10 right now--so the warm air is above us, if it can only get mixed down...

Latest posts