• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How do you all find time?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shelly

Reaction score
To be on here so much, that is? Good Lord, it's days between each time I can catch a few minutes just reading and catching up, let alone posting. Tonight the guys are out baling so I finally have some time alone. Between keeping up things in the house, and in the yard, and cutting hay, my time is pretty limited. Good news for me though, I figured out tonight how many more acres there is to cut. 590 left out of the 1500 we have to do between us and 3words. And then I'm going fishing!

I don't put up 1500 acres of hay. Most of our feed is grazing or swath grazing or barley bunches so the cows do most of the work. My computer is in my office which is the first room in the house on the edge of the working yard. I pass by often. I am adverse to work. :)

Pure lazyness on my part! I'm like Gus in Lonesome Dove.......... Some folks work harder than they need to so I try and do less to balance it all out! :wink: Ya better take your camera fishin' with ya so we can see how ya do! :D

Well keep them boys baling Shelly- hay is going to be like gold this year...I heard just plain old cow hay is going for $125-$150 ton in our area- if you can find anyone selling...Some selling for $100 over by the ND line- but by the time you get it trucked in its $140....
Some of these marginal wheat fields might be turned into hay this year...

Sorry to hear that OT. We've been there, too.
We do have some nice hay for sale if anyone is interested.
We've had to ship hay in from your country and from
Canada in the past. Sure no fun in that; but at least
we were able to find some. We even pastured some
cattle up near you one year. It is starting to dry up here, too;
but most everyone has finished haying or is close to it.

Faster horses said:
Sorry to hear that OT. We've been there, too.
We do have some nice hay for sale if anyone is interested.
We've had to ship hay in from your country and from
Canada in the past. Sure no fun in that; but at least
we were able to find some. We even pastured some
cattle up near you one year. It is starting to dry up here, too;
but most everyone has finished haying or is close to it.

Yep-- I will be OK with the irrigated hayland...In fact we got more off the first cutting than have in years- and have about what I fed last winter so if we get anything for a second we'll be sitting plumb fine.....Hoping to get some wheat straw bales and maybe some wheat hay too...Never have too much hay....

I remember that year you were up here and tried to get me to inspect your cows out- but I was already tied up...In fact- The fella that did your inspection just called to tell me my calves were out on the highway :shock: He was just kidding as today when I moved the cows- I trucked them down and left them in a pasture he just moved out of because it was just too hot to trail them the couple miles to the big community pasture where I run in common with him- and I did notice the fence was not in the best shape.....I'll get them moved in the morning before the heat hits....
And hopefully we'll get some of that moisture moving into the state :)

Faster horses said:
There is moisture moving in? Tell me more...

Yep--radar shows rain all afternoon in the mountains- and now a line from Billings thru Lewistown and up to Cut Bank....
But its not supposed to have a chance here til tomorrow afternoon when a cold front could bring in thunderstorms/showers...

FH- I was wrong- some of the rain moved in from the SW this morning...I started gathering and moving cows about 7:30 and got pretty wet...Was done by 10AM- and was just home relaxing about 2PM when my buddy called up and said he'd got rained out haying north- but had seen a calf I missed-- and this time it was "no fooling"....
I ran back up to the pasture and found not only that calf, but a pair I'd apparently missed down in the brush (true screw up :roll: )...And as the lightning popped and the rain poured I and the dogs got them into the right pasture- but got soaked....(Grandma says it was time for my summer bath)....
We picked up about 1/2 an inch up north- but the lightning started a fire a few miles west of us that burned about 80 acres....I guess there is another pretty good fire going on Sutherland Creek out in the Missouri Breaks...They were sending up a couple planes and helicopters to fight it...

Interestingly this afternoons storm moved in from the NW- out of Canada...

hay prices here have tanked so if you know someone who needs some send them to me. I can sell them some good hay at a reasonable price.

cowboyup said:
hay prices here have tanked so if you know someone who needs some send them to me. I can sell them some good hay at a reasonable price.

Will do- but it sounds like some are thinking of dumping cows rather than pay the hay and hauling expenses...I talked to a fellow last week that normally gets his hay by putting up CRP and dryland hay on shares- and he hasn't gotten any this year....And he said unless hay prices come down up here - he's selling the cows...Said he had none that were so pretty they couldn't be replaced... :wink:

Might be an opportunity for some folks with extra hay to make a buck feeding some cows thru the winter....

burnt said:
You are one busy girl!! We all feel neglected when you don't talk to us for so long!! :( How is the hay yielding this year?

The hay fields vary alot! Some fields are yielding 2 to 3 bales per acre, some not even a half a bale an acre. Quality is going downhill fast, though. Yesterday I got the day off, had some rain in the morning. But I'll be back at'er after lunch. Have to make up for lost time, don't ya know!

Oldtimer said:
Well keep them boys baling Shelly- hay is going to be like gold this year...I heard just plain old cow hay is going for $125-$150 ton in our area- if you can find anyone selling...Some selling for $100 over by the ND line- but by the time you get it trucked in its $140....
Some of these marginal wheat fields might be turned into hay this year...

I hear what you're saying, OT, about the price of hay. We presold all our bales for $100 a bale. That wasn't the price we set, either. That's what we were offered. Almost all of it is going to two dairy farms. Even if it isn't dairy quality, they want it. They'll just mix it with other feed to bring it up to what they need for the cows.

Latest posts