• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How is the southern neibours doing?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tamarack

Reaction score
Just wondering how things are going in southern states is the drought still going on or is there some relief ? See on news that there is some really wicked storms and twisters hope everyone is alright. The weather has been good here in the north just cold last week -38c but has warmed -7 this week.

Over 8...yes EIGHT...feet of rain this past year in the TRUE South, I'd say we're outta drought!

Here in North Central Texas and Southwest Oklahoma we are still devastated. I may be out of the cattle business soon.

1002636_10153515189850035_2018400747_n.jpg

1394416_10153515189890035_1711420206_n.jpg

1425668_10153515189855035_1899438092_n.jpg

kolanuraven said:
Over 8...yes EIGHT...feet of rain this past year in the TRUE South, I'd say we're outta drought!

I thought Chile was the TRUE South :???:

nortex that looks bad! we had a drought here a few years ago but it only lasted a year and we have had 2 yrs of good after and the lakes still haven't recovered completely I don't think I could have made it through another two years. Like Red Green would say keep your stick on the ice we are all in this together and we are rootin for you.

In the Ozarks it been a complete reverse from last years drought
After several cattlemen sold cows the prices were not very good and cows were light. This year with super grass and hay many are looking at two years without income. Reading market reports it looks like the numbers are the same as last year do not know where the cattle are coming from
Some think many of the cows were not slaughtered but taken to the Great Lakes region or Alabama states from last year

The cattle people I talk to are not planning to get back in until the price is what they sold cows for ( odd thinking but that's what they tell me)

It's been a real challenge keeping and breeding home raised heifers both last year
Not very many calves to sell this year for me
Feed prices have NOT come down at MFA feed stores . Hay is in great supply and its cheap for now.

Hay Feeder said:
After several cattlemen sold cows the prices were not very good and cows were light. This year with super grass and hay many are looking at two years without income. Reading market reports it looks like the numbers are the same as last year do not know where the cattle are coming from
Some think many of the cows were not slaughtered but taken to the Great Lakes region or Alabama states from last year

The cattle people I talk to are not planning to get back in until the price is what they sold cows for ( odd thinking but that's what they tell me)

It's been a real challenge keeping and breeding home raised heifers both last year
Feed prices have NOT come down at MFA feed stores . Hay is in great supply and its cheap for now.

Come to northern Minnesota they can buy all the cows they want for kill price on up to about $1500. From what I've heard $1500 will buy most any bred heifer here at the bred cow sales.

Denny said:
Hay Feeder said:

Come to northern Minnesota they can buy all the cows they want for kill price on up to about $1500. From what I've heard $1500 will buy most any bred heifer here at the bred cow sales.
Short bred heifers sold this week for 1200 to 1300
Very short bred if bred in October
Cow bring all kinds of prices for all kinds of cows
We think a lot drought ( slaughter) cows ended up in your area Michagn Minn Ohio a d northern Indiania. No proff but heard that from a major slaughter o buyer from that area through the rumor mill

I agree the Ozarks region is a complete 180* from last year. Grain prices drop daily or so we hear but you are correct the prices the feed store are asking still don't reflect that. Worst hay crop is 50-60 years last year, best hay crop that anyone can remember this year.

Already been very cold this November for this part of the world but no winter precip to go with it. Cattle seem to have a heavier hair coat than I can remember, could be a tell tell sign of what's to come.

bred heifers and good cows are in that 1500 range and lots of herd dispersal cattle all the ranchers said when the prices picked up they were getting out of the business and it looks like this is true most of the auction markets are working at max

jigs said:
8 FEET?? hope it did not all come at once!

Damn near....it was amazing. I think we had only one full week of dry weather in the summer and EVERY tractor and piece of hay equip went into full swing that week.

Some people didn't get one piece of hay put up...

We even got 8" of rain from this last storm that went thru the country.

We're soaked

Latest posts