• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How to avoid getting stiffed?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mp.freelance

Reaction score
I'm working on an article about how to avoid getting stiffed for livestock. The main case I'm looking at is a guy who sold livestock to a company several times successfully before they didn't pay him and then stopped returning his calls. What kind of precautions should people take so this won't happen?

I've talked to the USDA about this, but do you have any other ideas?

mp.freelance said:
I'm working on an article about how to avoid getting stiffed for livestock. The main case I'm looking at is a guy who sold livestock to a company several times successfully before they didn't pay him and then stopped returning his calls. What kind of precautions should people take so this won't happen?

COD, Certified funds. I had a buddy who delivered several loads to a feedlot and got comfortable with him. He never got paid for the last load. Hard to collect across state lines and GIPSA would not help him at all.

If a buyer stops payment on a check and claims a dispute it becomes a civil matter which could takes decades, if ever, to resolve.

There are crooks in all business ventures.

I NEVER let any animals leave the farm till I have the $$$ in my hand or bank acct. Period.

In some states you can ask to see their buyers license...In Montana order buyers have to be bonded and licensed and must produce their license if requested...

Mike said:
mp.freelance said:

COD, Certified funds. I had a buddy who delivered several loads to a feedlot and got comfortable with him. He never got paid for the last load. Hard to collect across state lines and GIPSA would not help him at all.

If a buyer stops payment on a check and claims a dispute it becomes a civil matter which could takes decades, if ever, to resolve.

There are crooks in all business ventures.

It's interesting that he got stiffed once they built up trust, because thats the same with the guy I was talking to. I guess that means: always get it in writing.

Hello, been reading Ranchers.net for 5 plus years but finally got up the courage to put in my 2 cents worth. I've been feeding cattle for 35 years. Some making money and some losing my butt. To comment on getting stiffed,it works both ways. In the past 5 or so years I have been buying all my feeders off the internet sights and video auctions. Mostly good experiences. You find out fast about the integrety of a rancher (or maybe his banker who is calling the shots) . I have bought calves in April for fall delivery and had the price go up 10 bucks by delivery time and most REAL BUSINESSMEN will honor their contract and deliver the stated amount and quality of calves. BUT I have also had the price go up 10 bucks , send 5 trucks 1500 miles to get the story that the bears got some and the wolves got some and I will have to be happy with one empty truck that I can pay to come home empty or if I want to pay the 10 bucks extra they might be able to line up another load. Their are crooks on both sides of the fence. Happily I can say I have delt with way more good ,honest ranchers than the crooks, but the crooks make me boil. So much for my rant . Thank You

Whitetop said:
Hello, been reading Ranchers.net for 5 plus years but finally got up the courage to put in my 2 cents worth. I've been feeding cattle for 35 years. Some making money and some losing my butt. To comment on getting stiffed,it works both ways. In the past 5 or so years I have been buying all my feeders off the internet sights and video auctions. Mostly good experiences. You find out fast about the integrety of a rancher (or maybe his banker who is calling the shots) . I have bought calves in April for fall delivery and had the price go up 10 bucks by delivery time and most REAL BUSINESSMEN will honor their contract and deliver the stated amount and quality of calves. BUT I have also had the price go up 10 bucks , send 5 trucks 1500 miles to get the story that the bears got some and the wolves got some and I will have to be happy with one empty truck that I can pay to come home empty or if I want to pay the 10 bucks extra they might be able to line up another load. Their are crooks on both sides of the fence. Happily I can say I have delt with way more good ,honest ranchers than the crooks, but the crooks make me boil. So much for my rant . Thank You

Welcome aboard, Whitetop, and don't be afraid to post. Most of us here are pretty good folks. There are a few here that just might bite. Depends where you "hang out" :wink: :wink:

If they are pairs, or the buyer has a bank, or you have a bank, you may be able to call in a livestock repo man. There was an article in High plains journal last year, I think. These guys usually have bark on them and are often able to locate those 'strays.'

What amazes me is how some people will still deal with somebody dispite their reputation.
I know two local guys who have screwed so many people over the years, gone bankrupt I dont know how many times but yet these people are still in business! They drive new trucks, combines, etc. and put on the big show. They owe everybody<banks,local retail stores>dont have any cash of their own but yet it seems like they can get unlimited credit.

Latest posts