• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

How to cook nuts?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jeff in ca

Reaction score
I save some nuts from my spring branding and need a good recipe to cook them. I have never save them before, as we have always banded our calves . I am cooking them for my wife's work BBQ tomorrow so any help would be great appreciated, Thanks Jeff

Skin and split, dredge in milk then beaten egg, bread with crushed cornflakes. Fry in shallow hot oil in electric skillet briefly, like 45 seconds or so per side. Have them all ready before frying, it goes quick.

Probably too late, but it helps if they are slightly frozen. They slice easier. Quarter inch thick is good. Cracker crumbs work too. It's a messy deal!

This won't work for your current need of recipe, but dropping them fresh from the calf onto a disc blade heated over the branding fire appears to work for some situations. Taking a salt shaker along seems to be the only seasoning used. Personally, I've not eaten them since the first time when I was maybe eight or nine years old. They were heavily breaded and fried and served as the only meat at a branding. I was pretty unable to handle greasy food at that time, and recall getting very sick! It reminded me of the fat off pork chops my grandpa insisted I eat because I was thin to the point my family worried about me after a few years of fighting whooping cough all winter and he thought that would help me. Grandma wasn't happy with him, as she had to clean up and take care of me the next couple of days! Unfortunately, I got over being 'too thin', but still don't eat visible fat on meats, or greasy foods.

Happy grilling, in any case!

mrj

As deja vu says... freeze first, then thaw a few at a time in a sink of cold water to cut the skin off. It will just peel off a frozen nut. then bread and fry... cocktail sauce is a good dip.

Latest posts