• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Huge feed recall

Help Support Ranchers.net:

OldDog/NewTricks

Reaction score
FOOD SAFETY
Huge feed recall due to mammalian protein

by Pete Hisey on 8/8/2006 for Meatingplace.com

The Food and Drug Administration announced two recalls, one for 27 million pounds of feed produced in Michigan and the other an unknown amount of feed produced in Kentucky. Both were suspected of being adulterated with ruminant or mammalian protein, including ruminant meat and bone meal in the second recall.

Vita Plus Corp., Gagetown, Mich., has recalled 27,694,240 pounds of dairy feed produced between February of 2005 and June 16, 2006, because it is believed it was contaminated with mammalian protein. The feed was distributed in Michigan and the recall is complete.

Burkmann Feeds LLC, Glasgow, Ky., has recalled an unknown amount of custom feed because it contains an ingredient called Pro-Lak, which may contain ruminant-derived meat and bone meal. The Burkmann feed was distributed in Kentucky.

Just how do you recall 27 million pounds of feed produced over a 3-4 month period and say it's a complete recall?????

rjk said:
Just how do you recall 27 million pounds of feed produced over a 3-4 month period and say it's a complete recall?????

Looks more like 15-16 months to me :shock: They call it complete when they finish the paper work!

I don't know about you, but I am sick and tired of Agri. business not having adequate quality control. And, it will usually be the livestock producer that ends up paying the price. If the packing plants back east hadn't allowed the illeagle material in the shipments to Japan we wouldn't have had all the trouble shipping to Japan. I hope they all get stiff enough fines to stop this incompetentce. :mad:

When I worked for Quality Stores (Now Tractor Supply) I'd read feed Labels and tell people what they ment (were feeding) (like Blood Meal) Customers are not informed - if it says "Cattle Feed" it must be OK (Safe).

Old :cboy:

Latest posts