• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

HVAC Ranger

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Traveler

Reaction score
http://www.polaris.com/en-us/ranger-utv/ranger-xp-1000-eps-northstar-hvac-edition

I'm assuming this is the only gas powered UTV that's come out with AC. I suppose the compressor is electrically driven, unless they've added a belt. Seems expensive for what they are. Could almost buy 2 open air 900 Rangers for what they have this one listed at, but it does have most of the add-ons. Great Grandma thinks she wants one sitting at the home place. Hope she's not holding her breath. :)

Holy mackerel, Traveler. That is over the top! If I ever buy another "UTV" it's going to be a jeep. Much cheaper, more reliable, more options and much easier to work on than my Mule. JMO

We got a new Honda Pioneer UTV because of the transmission (I only know this from listening in on conversations~ :D ) because it holds you back going downhill and we plan to take it to the mountains. Mr. FH LOVES it! We got the full cab and a winch and extra mirrors and it didn't cost as much as that Polaris. The air conditioning is about taking the cab off, or the windshield out, can't remember which because he bought it last fall and we didn't need A/C. These things are fun, they do serve a purpose, but the cost!!!??? :shock: WOW. I remember when new pickups cost less than that....much less...

I'm with buying a Xterra, or a Jeep or whatever. The Xterra we bought for $6500 was a fun vehicle, til someone borrowed and totaled it out. :cry2:

I've bought 2 dodge Dakota's this year for under $7000 combined both with under 110,000 miles both 4x4. I don't think my cows are profitable enough for one of those fancy rigs. Oh yeah mine have ac and heat!

Early 90's Suzuki Samurais or Chevy Trackers. Usually found in good shape for $5-10,000. Heat, AC, stereo, comfort, and the same size footprint as a UTV. I'm trying to get approval to use one on my work sites as well because the damn UTV's have gotten so expensive.

lavacarancher said:
Holy mackerel, Traveler. That is over the top! If I ever buy another "UTV" it's going to be a jeep. Much cheaper, more reliable, more options and much easier to work on than my Mule. JMO
I'd kind of had this comment in the back of my mind. One of our uses for a Ranger is for a lady to hand out ear tags and a syringe, in the comfort and safety of a cab, from the window to the guy using an ATV that's just grabbed a calf that needs tagged......who's carrying a short bar for most protection needs that might arise. A lot of calves can be tagged in pretty good time that way. But maybe a little jeep could serve that same purpose, and may be light enough that a leg that might get run over wouldn't get broken, and room for kids in the back seat. I see that there's some low mileage kind of plain jane ones, still with AT and AC, pretty reasonable. I see a low mileage 4 banger Tacoma with AT can be had somewhat reasonably, too. Just mulling it over for now.

Is that light bar for adjusting attitudes on snuffy cows?

Years ago, my dad was calving out some waspy witches out of southern Colorado. You know how cows are much more likely to wool you around when their baby is almost wet, but after a couple days they settle down and let you tag babies. Those saguchie witches were on a man hunt for ever, and they'd hit a horse just for fun. I had a coyote wagon that sat up pretty high so I'd drive up to a new calf so the calf was on the passenger side. I'd get out the drivers door and crawl under the pickup and drag the calf under the pickup to tag him. They put some good whisky dents on the passenger side of my pickup.

Brad S said:
Is that light bar for adjusting attitudes on snuffy cows?

Years ago, my dad was calving out some waspy witches out of southern Colorado. You know how cows are much more likely to wool you around when their baby is almost wet, but after a couple days they settle down and let you tag babies. Those saguchie witches were on a man hunt for ever, and they'd hit a horse just for fun. I had a coyote wagon that sat up pretty high so I'd drive up to a new calf so the calf was on the passenger side. I'd get out the drivers door and crawl under the pickup and drag the calf under the pickup to tag him. They put some good whisky dents on the passenger side of my pickup.
Yes. Suppose I can admit to it being a short crowbar, there between the foot rest and up on the fender, without anyone throwing a fit?

Traveler said:
lavacarancher said:
I'd kind of had this comment in the back of my mind. One of our uses for a Ranger is for a lady to hand out ear tags and a syringe, in the comfort and safety of a cab, from the window to the guy using an ATV that's just grabbed a calf that needs tagged......who's carrying a short bar for most protection needs that might arise. A lot of calves can be tagged in pretty good time that way. But maybe a little jeep could serve that same purpose, and may be light enough that a leg that might get run over wouldn't get broken, and room for kids in the back seat. I see that there's some low mileage kind of plain jane ones, still with AT and AC, pretty reasonable. I see a low mileage 4 banger Tacoma with AT can be had somewhat reasonably, too. Just mulling it over for now.

Yes sir, I understand. Just stating for my own situation. And besides that you could certainly impress your neighbors!!! :lol:

We USED to have a jeep...a jeep pickup...back in the 60's. What a piece of trash. I guess that's why they aren't around any more. We were poor but I kept track of what that jeep cost us in expenses and we could buy a new Ford 3/4 ton pickup for that. So we did. We sold the Jeep and they had to put a rebuilt engine in it. Everything that could go wrong, did, with that piece of crap.

Faster horses said:
We USED to have a jeep...a jeep pickup...back in the 60's. What a piece of trash. I guess that's why they aren't around any more. We were poor but I kept track of what that jeep cost us in expenses and we could buy a new Ford 3/4 ton pickup for that. So we did. We sold the Jeep and they had to put a rebuilt engine in it. Everything that could go wrong, did, with that piece of crap.
How do you really feel about it? :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

Suzuki Carry Mini Truck...
Heat, windows, will go anywhere a side by side will go, plated for public roads, dump box and cheap to buy and run. It gets 54 mpg highway, oil change takes 3L of oil. Also when Ranch decals are applied it is the greatest advertising tool we have ever found...

RSL said:
Heat, windows, will go anywhere a side by side will go, plated for public roads, dump box and cheap to buy and run. It gets 54 mpg highway, oil change takes 3L of oil. Also when Ranch decals are applied it is the greatest advertising tool we have ever found...

Where are the pictures?

RSL said:

Those are quite the rig for sure. There's outfits that sell them with a bit of a lift and put atv tires on them. I've seen them used on seismic jobs and they go where a 4 wheeler won't. Pretty cool really.

Don't know anything about the Minis, but the two things I see are the motors appear to be limited to 660 cc's, and the distance to servicing dealers. They are enticing, but I have to wonder about getting them repaired and parts availability.

So did the new Ranger design actually fix a lot of things that were wrong with it? The air intake should be a huge improvement over the 900s.

https://youtu.be/Xo38Ind3T5U

Latest posts