• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I could use some thoughts on a baler

Help Support Ranchers.net:

R A

Reaction score
South of me a ways is a Hesston 5530 round baler for sale. New belts last year, manual twine tie, great condition, works perfect, makes a 4 by 4 bale, always stored inside. They used to pull it with a ford 861. I'd be using my Farmall M. They said it should run it fine if my ground is flat. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Dad had a 5585 Hesston. Great machine, made fantastic bales, and pretty simple to maintain & repair. He baled with a 4020 Powershift.

Not sure about using it with an M, though.

Yes to the baler, & look for a different tractor while you are at it. I don't think the M is going to hack it. The easiest way to pay for the tractor & baler would be to pick up some custom baling for your friends and neighbors. IMHO.

Looks like on Fastline there are several 5580 (no kicker) balers not that far from you in the $2500 price range.

For a little less than that, I'd sell you my FarmHand 8 Bale accumulator and 8 pack bale fork that fits right on a FarmHand F11 loader and you could keep baling the little squares.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Does a Farmall M have "Live PTO"?

Mine doesn't have live pto. The pto shuts down when the clutch is in....that makes it to where it isn't live, right?

Big Muddy rancher said:
Does a Farmall M have "Live PTO"?

No. You can put the PTO mechanism or the whole rear end of a 450 on a M to make it live, but they didn't come with it.

Boy, I have spent some long miserable days jockeying an M. :wink:

loomixguy said:
Dad had a 5585 Hesston. Great machine, made fantastic bales, and pretty simple to maintain & repair. He baled with a 4020 Powershift.

Not sure about using it with an M, though.

Yes to the baler, & look for a different tractor while you are at it. I don't think the M is going to hack it. The easiest way to pay for the tractor & baler would be to pick up some custom baling for your friends and neighbors. IMHO.

Looks like on Fastline there are several 5580 (no kicker) balers not that far from you in the $2500 price range.

For a little less than that, I'd sell you my FarmHand 8 Bale accumulator and 8 pack bale fork that fits right on a FarmHand F11 loader and you could keep baling the little squares.

Thanks for this! Yeah, I'm probably reaching with big baling with the M. I'll check out Fastline....I've never been on it.

Here's some things going on..

I very much want to be totally self sufficient doing my own hay

I don't have enough hay storage for all the small squares my patch would produce. I think my patch would produce 3000-4000 bales. I did around 1500 this year and could store another 100 or so bales. I may start a thread on hay tarps though and go that route if it won't waste a bunch.

I really very much don't want to have to call the neighbors any more to roll up any. We're not tight. I'm about to shoot every dog they own and start a fued, so they probably won't want to... :D . They have been keeping every stray dog that shows up and now those dogs are having babies....chasing my cows, chasing all the wildlife all over the country and stuff. They don't care what their (leased) cattle are doing to fences and when they get out.

If I don't use the neighbors, I'll be on a long waiting list if it can be done at all. Limited options, but I have called a couple guys that custom bale.Nobody has acted like they want to do it.The last two years since I have been able to do all the mowing and raking, I have been able to put up my hay 2 months ahead of the few years before and I swear I have been seeing a HUGE difference in my cows during the winter.

If my square baler breaks down or rain comes out of the blue, it would be nice to be able to have the option to roll some up. I still want to fill up all storage with the squares reguardless.

Really, shouldn't do anything money wise right now.

Me not knowing a thing about equipment, I know you guys on here would be able to shed some insight.

If I can't big bale with my M right now, I'll small square it all next year...can't swing a tractor yet.

I'd love to start learning about big balers.

Just really don't want to have to call the neighbors any more... got to do something... :D :D

I've read that they can be pulled with a 40 hp tractor no problem, I think the M is supposed to be 39 hp? If so, if you take your time you just might be alright! Best thing would be to try it if the seller is alright with that, then you'd know for sure.

I haven't seen it asked: Is your M plumbed for two-way hydraulics? I'm not certain, but I believe you need two-way for the chamber gate. Hopefully someone will chime in about if two-way hydraulics are needed for the baler you are looking at.

Zilly said:
I haven't seen it asked: Is your M plumbed for two-way hydraulics? I'm not certain, but I believe you need two-way for the chamber gate. Hopefully someone will chime in about if two-way hydraulics are needed for the baler you are looking at.

For an eastener, you are pretty sharp!! :lol: Yea, the balers have to have 2 way hydraulics, and most of them need pretty good one at that.
I just sold a 150 horse tractor for 3500 bucks. You might be better off to look at the late 70s big 2 wheel drive tractors. They are pretty cheap right now, and then you could do what ever you want. Just thinkin, you could probably come up with an old Allis, and a chain baler for about 4 grand.

LazyWP said:
For an eastener, you are pretty sharp!! :lol:

I honed the left side of my Jersey shore physique :roll: on I believe it was a cub with manual cultivators. And spent way too much time cooped up in a cab listening to a bale monitor ding and dong. :wink:

loomixguy said:

I checked fastline out and there is a 5580 real close. Also, I have to road whatever I buy home... :D .

loomixguy said:

Heck, I had to go search what this stuff is.... :D :D

Silver said:
I've read that they can be pulled with a 40 hp tractor no problem, I think the M is supposed to be 39 hp? If so, if you take your time you just might be alright! Best thing would be to try it if the seller is alright with that, then you'd know for sure.

Yeah, I've read different horsepower numbers on the M...36 being the most that has come up for me??? I'm use to going in turtle speed letting the 14t eat slowerly... :D .

Zilly said:

My M doesn't have the two-way hydraulics... :( .

LazyWP said:
Zilly said:

For an eastener, you are pretty sharp!! :lol: Yea, the balers have to have 2 way hydraulics, and most of them need pretty good one at that.
I just sold a 150 horse tractor for 3500 bucks. You might be better off to look at the late 70s big 2 wheel drive tractors. They are pretty cheap right now, and then you could do what ever you want. Just thinkin, you could probably come up with an old Allis, and a chain baler for about 4 grand.

Well shoot...sounds like I will have to wait until I have a bigger tractor. I'm already learning a lot though! 4 grand wouldn't be bad to get set up to big bale. I'll just have to wait... :D . I'll look into the late 70's big 2 wheel drive tractors and start getting more familiar with them.

Zilly said:
LazyWP said:
For an eastener, you are pretty sharp!! :lol:

I honed the left side of my Jersey shore physique :roll: on I believe it was a cub with manual cultivators. And spent way too much time cooped up in a cab listening to a bale monitor ding and dong. :wink:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about here.... :shock: :D Man, I don't know a thing about equipment.... :D

R A said:
loomixguy said:

I checked fastline out and there is a 5580 real close. Also, I have to road whatever I buy home... :D .

loomixguy said:

You wouldn't have to touch the bales with those two pieces. :wink: :D
Makes the idiot cubes a little more feasible. I was lucky enough to stack mine in the shed using the tractor & loader. When you are a one man band, you need all the advantage you can get! :wink:

R A said:
LazyWP said:
Zilly said:

Well shoot...sounds like I will have to wait until I have a bigger tractor. I'm already learning a lot though! 4 grand wouldn't be bad to get set up to big bale. I'll just have to wait... :D . I'll look into the late 70's big 2 wheel drive tractors and start getting more familiar with them.

4430's are still real popular to bale with here, but 4 grand won't come close on one. Save your dough and get a decent tractor, don't poor boy around and get a POS. Just sayin'. :wink:

loomixguy said:
R A said:
LazyWP said:

4430's are still real popular to bale with here, but 4 grand won't come close on one. Save your dough and get a decent tractor, don't poor boy around and get a POS. Just sayin'. :wink:

86 series Internationals make good baling tractors. Not as nice as a JD but very capable. 986, 1086, heck even my old 1486 works just fine but is a little big. These can often be bought for very cheap.

loomixguy said:
R A said:
loomixguy said:

loomixguy said:

You wouldn't have to touch the bales with those two pieces. :wink: :D
Makes the idiot cubes a little more feasible. I was lucky enough to stack mine in the shed using the tractor & loader. When you are a one man band, you need all the advantage you can get! :wink:

Ah, I hear ya loud and clear on the one man band... :D I watched a 8 bale accumulator there on youtube....I had drool running down my face... :D ...pulling it with a pick-up... :shock: I couldn't believe it!!! I didn't find as much on the loader attachment, but did find a pic of one I think. It looked like a heavy duty gate with a bunch of hooks that come down and grip the 8 bales. Pretty neat stuff!

I seen the local fcs office had a sign that said something about 1% interest for 7 years on hay sheds.... :D.

My last 2 balers are 855 New Holland one has hydraulic tie I paid $600 for it put about $250 in it last year and baled 1400 bales. The other I paid $500 for it spent another $420 fixing the monitor it has electric tie with the monitor seams to work quite well. I broke the main apron chain tonight 3rd time this season it needs a new one which is in the $1700 range. The other needs 2 new main drive sprockets there about $400 for the set.

I bale with a 7060 allis I paid $5000 for it a dozen years ago new tires and a hydraulic issue over the years I've put another $5000 in it since I bought it.

A Belarus tractor big enough to run a round baler can be bought around here for a couple grand. I've got 3 of them there crude but run very reasonable and are easy to work on. I've spent $34,000 on all three all have loaders so average I have $11333 in each .

Latest posts