• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I could use some thoughts on a baler

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Denny said:
My last 2 balers are 855 New Holland one has hydraulic tie I paid $600 for it put about $250 in it last year and baled 1400 bales. The other I paid $500 for it spent another $420 fixing the monitor it has electric tie with the monitor seams to work quite well. I broke the main apron chain tonight 3rd time this season it needs a new one which is in the $1700 range. The other needs 2 new main drive sprockets there about $400 for the set.

I bale with a 7060 allis I paid $5000 for it a dozen years ago new tires and a hydraulic issue over the years I've put another $5000 in it since I bought it.

A Belarus tractor big enough to run a round baler can be bought around here for a couple grand. I've got 3 of them there crude but run very reasonable and are easy to work on. I've spent $34,000 on all three all have loaders so average I have $11333 in each .

And the Belarus tractors seem to run all year on a tank of fuel. If reverse wouldn't have abandoned our Belarus we'd still be running it. Might spend the money on it one of these days yet.

loomixguy said:
R A said:
LazyWP said:
For an eastener, you are pretty sharp!! :lol: Yea, the balers have to have 2 way hydraulics, and most of them need pretty good one at that.
I just sold a 150 horse tractor for 3500 bucks. You might be better off to look at the late 70s big 2 wheel drive tractors. They are pretty cheap right now, and then you could do what ever you want. Just thinkin, you could probably come up with an old Allis, and a chain baler for about 4 grand.

Well shoot...sounds like I will have to wait until I have a bigger tractor. I'm already learning a lot though! 4 grand wouldn't be bad to get set up to big bale. I'll just have to wait... :D . I'll look into the late 70's big 2 wheel drive tractors and start getting more familiar with them.

4430's are still real popular to bale with here, but 4 grand won't come close on one. Save your dough and get a decent tractor, don't poor boy around and get a POS. Just sayin'. :wink:

Will do! Thanks! It's going to be crazy having a bigger tractor someday! I can't even imagine having a post hole digger someday. I'm re-doing all my corrals and have water sitting in 4 holes right now so I can dig them by hand....no rain this summer has the ground a tad hard.... :D

Silver said:
Denny said:
My last 2 balers are 855 New Holland one has hydraulic tie I paid $600 for it put about $250 in it last year and baled 1400 bales. The other I paid $500 for it spent another $420 fixing the monitor it has electric tie with the monitor seams to work quite well. I broke the main apron chain tonight 3rd time this season it needs a new one which is in the $1700 range. The other needs 2 new main drive sprockets there about $400 for the set.

I bale with a 7060 allis I paid $5000 for it a dozen years ago new tires and a hydraulic issue over the years I've put another $5000 in it since I bought it.

A Belarus tractor big enough to run a round baler can be bought around here for a couple grand. I've got 3 of them there crude but run very reasonable and are easy to work on. I've spent $34,000 on all three all have loaders so average I have $11333 in each .

And the Belarus tractors seem to run all year on a tank of fuel. If reverse wouldn't have abandoned our Belarus we'd still be running it. Might spend the money on it one of these days yet.

We are lucky there's a machinery jockey here that has connection's in Egypt and Viet Nam they are buying up alot of these tractors putting them in shipping containers and exporting them. He gets crates of parts at time's and gives me a call that way I can go rummage. I bought a 925 with a koyker Grapple loader last fall from him super clean with 1100 hours on it I paid $10,250 heat and air work.We also have a good dealer for new parts 50 miles away.

Silver said:
loomixguy said:
R A said:
Well shoot...sounds like I will have to wait until I have a bigger tractor. I'm already learning a lot though! 4 grand wouldn't be bad to get set up to big bale. I'll just have to wait... :D . I'll look into the late 70's big 2 wheel drive tractors and start getting more familiar with them.

4430's are still real popular to bale with here, but 4 grand won't come close on one. Save your dough and get a decent tractor, don't poor boy around and get a POS. Just sayin'. :wink:

86 series Internationals make good baling tractors. Not as nice as a JD but very capable. 986, 1086, heck even my old 1486 works just fine but is a little big. These can often be bought for very cheap.

I'll check them out! Thanks! I really like the looks of the jd 4020 I believe they are, but what few I have seen a price on, they were 10,000 or more. Those are the only tractors I am the least bit familiar with as far as maybe guessing what a tractor make might be....so I appreciate other brand series to look at.

Denny said:

Sorry to hear about the apron chain on the one! Dang, I could work with those 855 New Holland prices you paid!... :D . 7060 allis - I'll search what they are. I'm not sure if I've heard the name Belarus??? I'll look them up too. I appreciate it!

I see there is a Vermeer 605D round baler south of me 30 miles or so....$500 bucks... :D

Since you are in Missouri, I'd recommend reading Jim Gerrish's book "Kick the hay habit." I believe a lot of it came from his years in Missouri. Now I'm not saying read this like it is the Bible, but read it with an open mind and see if any of it works for you.

rem_243 said:
Since you are in Missouri, I'd recommend reading Jim Gerrish's book "Kick the hay habit." I believe a lot of it came from his years in Missouri. Now I'm not saying read this like it is the Bible, but read it with an open mind and see if any of it works for you.

I'll get it and read it! Thanks! I do read a lot on the things I am doing. I'll get a lot of good out of it I'm sure. I found some videos just now on him and his views. Sounds like he was in Missouri for 23 years.

There does seem to be some comfort in knowing I have a winters worth of hay put away and could be easy to not stray from that even though it might not be the best way to do things. There used to be times I didn't know where I was getting my animals next meal of hay from.....that sucks! ..especially in a snow storm with no extra grass either. So I'm naturally nervous on it... :D . It is something I am interested in learning more about and could work towards though for sure! I feel I have already culled and selected cows that don't need much to stay fat to make things easier.

Denny said:
R A said:
I see there is a Vermeer 605D round baler south of me 30 miles or so....$500 bucks... :D

I'd run away from that.

:D ....I thought that might be the case on that one. No pic or any type of description on it.

Does single remote on a tractor still mean it has to be a two way hyrdaulic type deal?

edited: a baler that just needs one single remote probably still needs it to be two way.

Nevermind, don't mind me...just thinking outloud I guess.... :D

I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I think your M should have 2-way hydraulics. Without live PTO, baling would be a challenge, because when you stop to tie, the baler would stop also. Even a 4x4 grass bale weighing #750 might challenge the M to start turning again, although you would get good at stabbing the clutch, and being in neutral before the bale completely stopped.
You ask good questions, one of the best ways to learn. I wouldn't be scared of an older IH 66 or even 56 series, Allis 70 series are pretty straight forward, and maybe the sleeper in this market, Case 90 or 94 series. The former home has more to do with the value of a tractor than color. I'd try to find a retirement or trading-up outfit. If you find a green one you can use on a budget, you'll soon find they cost more to fix also. You mentioned a $10,000 4020, which sounds steep for a tractor of that age, but a nice one will cost almost twice that. A 4010 for that money should be pretty straight, but try the clutch out before you write any checks.

Haytrucker said:
I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I think your M should have 2-way hydraulics. Without live PTO, baling would be a challenge, because when you stop to tie, the baler would stop also. Even a 4x4 grass bale weighing #750 might challenge the M to start turning again, although you would get good at stabbing the clutch, and being in neutral before the bale completely stopped.
You ask good questions, one of the best ways to learn. I wouldn't be scared of an older IH 66 or even 56 series, Allis 70 series are pretty straight forward, and maybe the sleeper in this market, Case 90 or 94 series. The former home has more to do with the value of a tractor than color. I'd try to find a retirement or trading-up outfit. If you find a green one you can use on a budget, you'll soon find they cost more to fix also. You mentioned a $10,000 4020, which sounds steep for a tractor of that age, but a nice one will cost almost twice that. A 4010 for that money should be pretty straight, but try the clutch out before you write any checks.

Thanks for this!

Here's the one hydraulic lever I have on my M.

This is on the right side..

These are on the left side....

I bet your right on it being too much for it to get the bale rolling again when it is time to tie. It does a great job running the 14t square baler, so I'll leave it at running it.

If the cows can't pay for it, I can't do it. So I have to be careful what I do. I'll just wait on big baling until I can get another tractor.

I'll look into the tractors you mentioned! I appreciate it! When I do get to where I can get one, I'll be WAY more knowledgeable with you and everyone's help!!! I've started in reading and looking up everything mentioned everyday and will do it everyday until I get one.

I really appreciate the info! Lots easier to start looking into stuff after being guided on what to even start looking into.

gcreekrch said:
Here ya go RA. :D

http://youtu.be/pMK3O00Fyo0

:D .....YES! My prayers have been answered!... :D . That's exactly what I need... :D :D Two wheel tractors and mini big balers....who knew??? You knew, so lets be honest....how many do you have? When I was drooling over all that hay you had baled that one time, they were actually those mini bales, huh??? just jokin.. :D I checked out some of the videos on the side there that came up watching that video....seen some folks getting it done.... :D :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
gcreekrch said:
Here ya go RA. :D

http://youtu.be/pMK3O00Fyo0

Or you could put up silage like Gcreek does, :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9avESgUOY-4

:D ...Holy smokes!!!...there really is a RA Ranch version of everything all you big outfits have.... :D

In all honesty, I have got some good out of those two videos!!!... :D . I may need to stay off the beaten path to get where I want to get... :D .

Just my 2 cents worth on a tractor.

Buy something that would have resale value to someone besides yourself. (Easier to sell if the bottom should fall out from under you.)
If you go with a Deere, stay plumb AWAY from the synchro range transmissions. Get one with a power shift. There is a reason the power shifts were referred to as N-word proof.
Your mileage may vary.

loomixguy said:

Buy something that would have resale value to someone besides yourself. (Easier to sell if the bottom should fall out from under you.)
If you go with a Deere, stay plumb AWAY from the synchro range transmissions. Get one with a power shift. There is a reason the power shifts were referred to as N-word proof.
Your mileage may vary.

Thanks! I of course didn't know of synchro range and power shift transmissions. Great thing to know and learn about!....I'll research that too. I wouldn't of known to look for that. I appreciate it!

loomixguy said:

Your mileage may vary.

My two cents are don't buy something just for a resale value if you had to pay more just to get it is it really resale value or the reason things went bad. Best money is the money not spent. My cows never care what color of tractor brings the feed.

Latest posts