• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I don't need no stinkin' Congressional Approval

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Whitewing

Reaction score
:lol:

Our last president was called King George by our fellow liberals because they all believed he did what he wanted. Now, compare him to the Arrogance-in-Chief we have today.

Is there something higher than a king? Oh yeah, a god.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2011/05/white-house-on-war-powers-deadline-limited-us-role-in-libya-means-no-need-to-get-congressional-autho.html

In an effort to satisfy those arguing he needs to seek congressional authorization to continue US military activity in accordance with the War Powers Resolution, President Obama wrote a letter to congressional leaders this afternoon suggesting that the role is now so "limited" he does not need to seek congressional approval.

"Since April 4," the president wrote, "U.S. participation has consisted of: (1) non-kinetic support to the NATO-led operation, including intelligence, logistical support, and search and rescue assistance; (2) aircraft that have assisted in the suppression and destruction of air defenses in support of the no-fly zone; and (3) since April 23, precision strikes by unmanned aerial vehicles against a limited set of clearly defined targets in support of the NATO-led coalition's efforts."

You really gotta love Obama. The mental gymnastics that guys like OldTimer must have to go through in order to keep supporting him AND remain silent mean that he's getting more exercise now than he's gotten in the last 15 years.

Some real gems in this thread about King George and the Constitution.

http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50764&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=king&start=0

It must really suck being an Obama Cultist these days.

Looks to me like he followed the law to the letter...Now its up to Congress to sh*t or get off the pot...But we know- they (both cults) will play partisan politics with it and use it as tool until the last minute when they have to do something....
Whats comical- is that some of those now complaining about not getting congressional approval soon enough- are the same ones that were b*tching before because he wasn't taking military action soon enough... :roll:

Washington (CNN) -- On deadline day, President Barack Obama on Friday sent a letter to Congress expressing support for a bipartisan resolution favoring military operations in Libya.

At issue: The 1973 War Powers Act, which says if the president does not get congressional authorization 60 days after military action, the mission must stop within 30 days.

The president formally notified Congress about the mission in Libya with a letter on March 21, which made Friday the 60-day deadline.

Obama sent another letter Friday to House Speaker John Boehner and three other congressional leaders in which he expressed support for the bipartisan resolution that he said is being drafted by senators John Kerry, John McCain, Carl Levin, Dianne Feinstein, Lindsey Graham and Joseph Lieberman.

The resolution would confirm congressional support for the U.S. mission in Libya, Obama said.

The president did not mention the word authorization in Friday's correspondence.

"It has always been my view that it is better to take military action, even in limited actions such as this, with congressional engagement, consultation, and support," he wrote in the letter obtained by CNN.

Obama emphasized that the U.S. has assumed a "supporting role" under the larger NATO-led operation, but argued nonetheless that U.S. support for the mission "remains crucial to assuring the success of international efforts to protect civilians from the actions of the Qaddafi regime."

"Congressional action in support of the mission would underline the U.S. commitment to this remarkable international effort. Such a Resolution is also important in the context of our constitutional framework, as it would demonstrate a unity of purpose among the political branches on this important national security matter," he said.

From your own post OT:

At issue: The 1973 War Powers Act, which says if the president does not get congressional authorization 60 days after military action, the mission must stop within 30 days.

The president did not mention the word authorization in Friday's correspondence.

Yeah, "letter of the law".

For those who have not yet seen it, here's a photo of OldContortionists brain after trying to defend The Messiah.

lj109.jpg

oldchuckles comments directly contradict the words he used when Bush was involved. oldtimer is giggling cause he saw another :wink: zipper

Guess if it is obama it is ok irregardless of past comments about Bush regarding the same thing

EH oldzipper looker???? :D :D :D

I like to listen and learn from the "Constitutional Scholars"......

"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." - Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL), December 20, 2007

hypocritexposer said:

"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." - Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL), December 20, 2007

That was then (King George), this is now (the Messiah).

Try to keep up.

Whitewing said:
hypocritexposer said:

That was then (King George), this is now (the Messiah).

Try to keep up.

:oops:

I guess that it all depends on who is interpreting the law, according to our OWN legal, expert, potus has the right to do as he pleases in this regard, EXCEPT if it was any other prez that oldtimer did not like then it would be illegal..
EH? oldtimer :roll:

The end of the War Powers Act
How ironic it is that, as Yale law professors Bruce Ackerman and Oona Hathaway write in the Washington Post today, the War Powers Act is dying under a Democratic president

. Friday will mark the 60th day of our operations in Libya. According to the War Powers Act, Congress needs to formally endorse the action by Friday or American involvement should end in 30 days.

This week, the War Powers Act confronts its moment of truth. Friday will mark the 60th day since President Obama told Congress of his Libyan campaign. According to the act, that declaration started a 60-day clock: If Obama fails to obtain congressional support for his decision within this time limit, he has only one option — end American involvement within the following 30 days.

Obama has not only failed but he hasn't even tried — leaving it to Sen. Richard Lugar, the ranking Republican on the Foreign Relations Committee, to call for a "specific resolution that would give [the president] authority." Neither the president nor the Democratic congressional leadership has shown any interest. They have been sleep-walking their way to Day 60.

Congress is out of session this week so that endorsement won't be coming. The Obama administration is trying to pretend that the law shouldn't come into effect because NATO is in charge of the operation. But that is just bogus since it is our forces that are leading the effort.

When I teach the War Powers Act in my AP Government and Politics class, I always point out to the class that all presidents have complied with, but not endorsed the law. There are quite a few constitutional scholars who suspect that the law is not constitutional. Would some congressman, such as Dennis Kucinich, who opposes the action in Libya actually challenge President Obama in court using the War Powers Act? It would be a good thing to get an answer to whether or not the law was a constitutional limitation on the president's warmaking powers.

If Congress doesn't return and endorse Obama's use of troops in Libya, the War Powers Act will be a dead letter.

If nothing happens, history will say that the War Powers Act was condemned to a quiet death by a president who had solemnly pledged, on the campaign trail, to put an end to indiscriminate warmaking.

Heck I hope the US military takes every effort to bomb the crap out of Lybias military equipment and kadaffy.

and then stops on the 90 day and waits for additional orders.. as continuing operations could be considered an unlawful order..

He used the WPA as his excuse for getting involved without going to the Congress first and then later acts as though it doesn't apply to him when it's time to get authorization.

Should be fun to see how it plays out. Makes me chuckle every time I see one of those old posts of the OldDrunkard mentioning King George. :lol:

Latest posts