• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I guess you never know about peaple

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TWOROPES

Reaction score
A local guy who is the REAL DEAL when it comes to cowboyin is sittin in our county jail. One of the bigger local ranching operations had pretty much hired him on full time after starting out day-working for them.This operation runs mostly yearlings on lease pastures scattered over three counties. The local guy had the combo to the gates of 31 lease pastures as it was his job to doctor sicks in them, and clean them out at shipping time.One of the two owners of the ranch co. was at a local sale barn the other day and recognized his earmark on a steer. The owner commented to salebarn staff, and they said "yeah thats one of yours, your hand has been running them through our barn ever since you started paying him with cattle, instead of cash". The owner went ballistic and said I dont pay with cattle, those are stolen.So far there have been 17 head recovered from two salebarns and many more unaccounted for. The local sheriffs livestock deputy and TSCRA ranger are still looking for more stolen cattle. The thief was turning his cur dogs out in the middle of the night and baying these yearlings, he would then rope them and tie them down, go back for his truck and trailer and load them. This was because most of these pastures dont have pens as a wheel corral is normally used. When questioned by the sheriff, the thief said he started using speed (meth) and got hooked on it. This was a real nice guy and a talented cowboy, who wrecked his life with this stuff.

Reason You need a state brand law or need to brand- check can only be made out to the brand owner- unless you have a bill of sale and brand inspection transfer of ownership.....I've always wondered how much of this goes on in the nonbrand states by the caretaker ranch managers-- all accounted for as death loss.......

OT, I couldn't agree more about the branding. Sometimes I think people around here are going the opposite direction, though. Too many of them think an orange eartag in a black cow is all the proof of ownership they need since their neighbor uses green eartags.

Texas brand laws are pretty screwed up, anyway. Theoretically, 254 of us can have the same brand registered in Texas since we do it by county. The best thing we've got going for us is the TSCRA brand inspectors at all the markets. Not perfect, but they sure account for a lot of recovered cattle every year.

You're right about some of the so-called 'ranch managers' and 'cowboys', too. Some of these absentee 'ranchers' don't even know how many cattle they've got. And they never stop to ask themselves why a guy with eyes the size of trophy buckles and a $100 a day crank habit is willing to work for them for $250 a week. Go figure.

I have seen this quite a bit. Meth has taken over the lives of many a good person. It takes a long time to break the habit.

Man, have i ever seen meth take over some once good hands lives.I heard about that fella through the grapevine this morning (small world).You wouldnt believe how much the rodeo scene is eaten up with it.Though young,i have been around my fare share of truck drivers,ranch hands and even rodeo contestants that you can just smell it coming off of them.Its a real shame...

ropesanddogs said:
Man, have i ever seen meth take over some once good hands lives.I heard about that fella through the grapevine this morning (small world).You wouldnt believe how much the rodeo scene is eaten up with it.Though young,i have been around my fare share of truck drivers,ranch hands and even rodeo contestants that you can just smell it coming off of them.Its a real shame...

A friend of mine goes to alot of the US Ropings he called and said most all the real good ropers were a bunch of druggies he was'nt impressed.

When we had the ranch in NE...we had something VERY similar to his happen in our North pasture. 18,000 acres of nothing except a few corrals....and it all came to no good like this guy.

It's a train wreck for sure.

The local cops here at home told me...and for once they made sense....that other drugs like heroine, cocaine, pot, etc are organic. Your body can process it and break it down.

Meth is pure chemical and it's like throwin' your body in front of a train it's such a shock. Around here they use propane fuel, gun bluing, etc as the catalyst for it. No wonder they go crazy on the first hit!!!

I.E. The amount of 'coke' that will keep you high for 20 minutes....that same of amount of 'meth' will keep you wild for up to 10 hours!!

Yea, the meth keeps them going, is what I have heard.
And since this country is all about "winning", they feel they
have to go hard. Too bad they are wrecking their lives at the
same time.

I like Walt Woodards philosphy on drinking and drugs before a team roping ('course this was before meth was so popular), "I don't even drink a beer before I rope. Me and my horse feel as good as we possibly can. We'll beat you and laugh."

Latest posts