• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I hate Rototillers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
21,981
Reaction score
80
Location
Big Muddy valley
I hate Rototillers and that should be enough said,but First it won't start so you pull and pull and tinker then it starts . Know then there is tilling to do. Geez I hate rototillers :cowboy: :cry:
 

nr

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,153
Reaction score
0
Location
DE
Have you tried no Til gardening yet?
Read a book recently about it and going that way though the ground isn't as well amended as I'd like it to have been.
Saw a picture of a field of wheat near here where the farmer doesn't do any tilling and gets good results using two types of seed.
 

ranchwife

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,990
Reaction score
0
Location
ennis, montana
Big Muddy rancher said:
I hate Rototillers and that should be enough said,but First it won't start so you pull and pull and tinker then it starts . Know then there is tilling to do. Geez I hate rototillers :cowboy: :cry:

Are you just having "one of those days", BMR??? hope it gets better for ya!!! :D
 

Shelly

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,634
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan
BMR, could be worse. You could be us. First, yesterday numero uno bull comes up severely lame, and then this morning as hubby was putting last bale in the bale processor, the rotor in the processor snapped in half!
 

Shelly

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,634
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan
Bale King. But it was tired, we've put alot of bales through it. We bought it in '93 or '94. We rented a Haybuster till the cows go to pasture because we really don't have time to fix ours now. Don't care for the looks of it, too many moving parts that just look like breakdowns waiting to happen.
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
28,749
Reaction score
35
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Shelly, we have a Haybuster and we love the dang thing. In fact, this is the second one we have owned. We use it hard every day and this one we had a scale put on it. Amazing how much hay it saves because you actually know what you are feeding! I figured it needed to save 50 ton of hay at $50/ton, over the life of the machine to pay for the scale. Heck, I think we saved that much hay the first year we used it.

Yep, we love our Haybuster! Don't have any problems with it.
 

TimH

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,421
Reaction score
0
Location
Southwest Manitoba
BMR, When my wife wants her garden tilled, in the spring, I usually wait until she leaves the yard and then do it with my disc!!(19 foot tandem offset). Then I blame the tracks across the lawn on one of the boys or else my Dad.
Saves wear and tear on the rototiller, too!! :wink:
 

katrina

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
8,776
Reaction score
1
Location
East north east of Soapweed
I'm blessed with a 14 year old son who is nuts about small engines. He took a small engine college class at the local high school a couple of years ago. We had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get him in the class, but was well worth it. Now he has his own buisness. CARTER'S SMALL ENGINES. No more cussing the tiller or the engines on the augers.
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
21,981
Reaction score
80
Location
Big Muddy valley
katrina said:
I'm blessed with a 14 year old son who is nuts about small engines. He took a small engine college class at the local high school a couple of years ago. We had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get him in the class, but was well worth it. Now he has his own buisness. CARTER'S SMALL ENGINES. No more cussing the tiller or the engines on the augers.

Glad your son has the knack with those small engines, I sure don't. They seem to wait until you need them or wait until dark on a auger engine not to start.
your son should get a slogan like "I fix more engines then Carter has pills"

Or maybe nobody knows about Carters little liver pills anymore. Geez I'm getting old. :cowboy:
 

katrina

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
8,776
Reaction score
1
Location
East north east of Soapweed
BMR, Good slogans!!!
What is wrong with your tiller? I can ask the little man and maybe he can tell you what is wrong.. I know how frustrating engines can be. I try and talk to them and stroke them in to running. Genrally it doesn' work, but makes me feel better. Cussing them is worse...
 

rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,059
Reaction score
0
Big Muddy rancher said:
katrina said:
I'm blessed with a 14 year old son who is nuts about small engines. He took a small engine college class at the local high school a couple of years ago. We had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get him in the class, but was well worth it. Now he has his own buisness. CARTER'S SMALL ENGINES. No more cussing the tiller or the engines on the augers.

Glad your son has the knack with those small engines, I sure don't. They seem to wait until you need them or wait until dark on a auger engine not to start.
your son should get a slogan like "I fix more engines then Carter has pills"

Or maybe nobody knows about Carters little liver pills anymore. Geez I'm getting old. :cowboy:

Funny how when the budget gets tight for schools that they want to cut these classes that kids can actually use in the real world.

BMR- have you ever seen Carter's pills, I have never seen them. What did they really do? Geez I'm younger than I thought.
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
21,981
Reaction score
80
Location
Big Muddy valley
rancher said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
katrina said:
I'm blessed with a 14 year old son who is nuts about small engines. He took a small engine college class at the local high school a couple of years ago. We had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get him in the class, but was well worth it. Now he has his own buisness. CARTER'S SMALL ENGINES. No more cussing the tiller or the engines on the augers.

Glad your son has the knack with those small engines, I sure don't. They seem to wait until you need them or wait until dark on a auger engine not to start.
your son should get a slogan like "I fix more engines then Carter has pills"

Or maybe nobody knows about Carters little liver pills anymore. Geez I'm getting old. :cowboy:

Funny how when the budget gets tight for schools that they want to cut these classes that kids can actually use in the real world.

BMR- have you ever seen Carter's pills, I have never seen them. What did they really do? Geez I'm younger than I thought.



Katrina, I have to pour gas in the air intake to get it to start and it runs on full choke.




Rancher, Not sure if i have seen Cartes pills just always heard about them from Mom I think.
 

katrina

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
8,776
Reaction score
1
Location
East north east of Soapweed
Money wasn't the problem, it was his age. The college didn't want the liability. We had to write letters to the dean and write that we would not under any circumstances sue the school for any mishap.
There was 4 old geezers and 3 women in the class. No young kids other than our son. It was so much fun watching the class. The women would have trouble and instesd of asking the old guys, the girls would Not come out and ask carter for help , but suggest that they needed help... and he would help them. Then they would bring him cookies. The instructor would let them stew in there problems. It was a hoot.
They paired up in teams of two to tear down there engines and put them back together. Of couse the old ones paired up the women paired up and one sweet little ole lady went with carter. They were a great team. The women finely got their engine together and went to start it. But forgot to put oil in the engine.....That was a good lesson.
The old geezers couldn't get an engine to run, so they were squirting ether in where the spark plug went. I thought the instructor was going to have a corinary.. It was a wonderful learning experiance for all.....
 

Denny

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
5,632
Reaction score
0
Location
Mn usa
katrina said:
Money wasn't the problem, it was his age. The college didn't want the liability. We had to write letters to the dean and write that we would not under any circumstances sue the school for any mishap.
There was 4 old geezers and 3 women in the class. No young kids other than our son. It was so much fun watching the class. The women would have trouble and instesd of asking the old guys, the girls would Not come out and ask carter for help , but suggest that they needed help... and he would help them. Then they would bring him cookies. The instructor would let them stew in there problems. It was a hoot.
They paired up in teams of two to tear down there engines and put them back together. Of couse the old ones paired up the women paired up and one sweet little ole lady went with carter. They were a great team. The women finely got their engine together and went to start it. But forgot to put oil in the engine.....That was a good lesson.
The old geezers couldn't get an engine to run, so they were squirting ether in where the spark plug went. I thought the instructor was going to have a corinary.. It was a wonderful learning experiance for all.....


We had some guys in high school small engines used some either on a snowmobile engine when it fired it blew the carburators clean off.
 

ranchwife

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,990
Reaction score
0
Location
ennis, montana
"a four bottom plow and a 24 foot disc will do the job without hurting your back".....says the hubby :wink: then again, this is coming from the man who when asked to help me dig up a "small spot for a garden", gets out his big disc and tractor and i end up with damn near a full acre dug for a garden i only want to be about the size of my bedroom :D :shock: :shock:
 

Maple Leaf Angus

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
1,823
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern Ontario
ranchwife said:
"a four bottom plow and a 24 foot disc will do the job without hurting your back".....says the hubby :wink: then again, this is coming from the man who when asked to help me dig up a "small spot for a garden", gets out his big disc and tractor and i end up with damn near a full acre dug for a garden i only want to be about the size of my bedroom :D :shock: :shock:

Well, he was just trying to be practical!

Maybe not, you say? :)
 

sw

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
1,373
Reaction score
0
ranchwife,
just hope that when it comes time to plant and you ask him to help, he doesn't bring in an air drill :wink:
 

Latest posts

Top