• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

I have...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher said:
mytfarms said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
If a hfr has bad feet why would she be worth a fortune? :?

Cause they look like a perfect female every time they set foot in the ring. Here we're talking about fixing on a cow that was unfortunate enough to get foot rot. Although that may be a genetic pre disposal, it's probably not a highly heritable issue whereas actual bone structure issues are a very heritable problem and a major issue. If a little trimming can save a good cow and keep her cranking $900 calves, it might just be worth it in this market.

Well a bull spending time in a soft corral doesn't breed many cows on The Circle Y ranch.

Also when you trim animals feet twice a year how do you know your not masking inheritable foot problems?

Maybe show cattle are brought in at night so they don't get pastuerized? :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
mytfarms said:
Or you can do what me and every other guy who have access to trim chutes (and have heifers worth a small fortune) do every year. Trim them at least twice a year (or on a regular schedule) and baby the pen they live in. We have a bull with a similar problem, but a little rest on a soft corral gets him back in shape. It also depends quite a little on who you have trimming and what they know about fixing how the weight of the animal hits the foot. Over exaggerating the trim job can help the foot heal back into a more natural position. Essentially, it becomes like corrective shoeing on a horse.

If a hfr has bad feet why would she be worth a fortune? :?

Evidently, somebody thinks the world needs more cattle with foot problems?

Whell...boys...this problem wasn't there till the foot rot...I never knew foot rot was a genetic thing...thought is was more of a lack of something in the diet, that would predispose em...No we don't keep gimmpy cows...or even if they have reoccurring issues with FR...She had it once...walked on the edge of the foot for a while ...got that toe to growin' funny...clipped it...but it didn't work...yes she is ready to pop...so I'll let her calve...and send her on...but thank ya'll for your opinions

for the most part ya'll sure get a lot of excercise with all the jumping to conclusions... :? bet ya'lls a bunch of real thin fellas.. :p

why dump a bunch of money in fixing or treating a foot just to sell her? Weigh cows are way to high to dump money into them in my opinion.

McGee213288 said:
Whell...boys...this problem wasn't there till the foot rot...I never knew foot rot was a genetic thing...thought is was more of a lack of something in the diet, that would predispose em...No we don't keep gimmpy cows...or even if they have reoccurring issues with FR...She had it once...walked on the edge of the foot for a while ...got that toe to growin' funny...clipped it...but it didn't work...yes she is ready to pop...so I'll let her calve...and send her on...but thank ya'll for your opinions

for the most part ya'll sure get a lot of excercise with all the jumping to conclusions... :? bet ya'lls a bunch of real thin fellas.. :p

Hope my opinion didn't come across as me being preachy. I was just spouting off free advice that has worked for myself. I do that a lot and most folks just ignore me. :wink: If i am not jumping to conclusions i stay busy being irritable, annoying and must very humbly add that one of my best qualities is my humility and my great intelect! :shock: :lol: :lol: Or not! :wink: :D

McGee213288 said:

No Jumping to conclusions here. :D A cow that grows a long toe might get by in the Black land prairie of Texas but here in the badlands of southern Saskatchewan she will the first one to be sore footed 6 miles from home in the winter. I guess it's a difference in management styles but I have to many cows to mess much with one growing long toes. I had one last year that I tipped it off to get her through with her calf and she was shipped the day she was weaned.
Your going to have to get a little thicker skinned because we won't lolly coddle or BS you. When you ask we tell you what we think.

Buck up :D :D

I thought my bull had foot rot the last few weeks....turns out it wasn't foot rot, but rusterholz ulcers???? Just thought I'd share that :D :D :D

Course show cattle are locked up. Part time anyway. I won't lie, you do cover up a less than perfect foot when you trim. At the same time, it can be a helpful tool in fixing issues resulting from foot rot or other issues. To each his own, but calves are still worth a lot of money. More than weigh cows most of the time.

No Jumping to conclusions here. A cow that grows a long toe might get by in the Black land prairie of Texas but here in the badlands of southern Saskatchewan she will the first one to be sore footed 6 miles from home in the winter. I guess it's a difference in management styles but I have to many cows to mess much with one growing long toes. I had one last year that I tipped it off to get her through with her calf and she was shipped the day she was weaned.
Your going to have to get a little thicker skinned because we won't lolly coddle or BS you. When you ask we tell you what we think.

Buck up

lol...I don't have 6 miles of pasture...only bout 3...if they get in a far corner...and I only run 150 mamma cows...sos I guess I have a little ,more time than you big boys...Ya'll have a wealth of be there, done that information...that's why I ask...now if I ya'll can stay focused on the actual question...or at least close to it...than we done good... 8)

My skin is pretty thick...comes from being a cop...an owner/operator...and now a rancher...don't need any coddlin'...an I can usually spot BS...I expect ya'lls opinion...that's what I'm askin' for...

just tellin' ya'll my opinion on the skinny fellas round here... :wink:

We sent an entire genetic line to the sale barn for feet as you described. To be honest we thought the older cow had the problem due to a case of foot rot so we trimmed her put her back out. This year we found that her first daughter had the same problem. We loaded both of them and their calves up and gave them a trip to town. I had a yearling bull out of the old cow and new day a really good looking sucker he was on the trailer with the rest of the family. I don't want bad feet and I sure don't want to sell a customer a bull that could put bad feet in their herd.

Gizmom
http://Www.gizmoangus.com

gizmom said:
We sent an entire genetic line to the sale barn for feet as you described. To be honest we thought the older cow had the problem due to a case of foot rot so we trimmed her put her back out. This year we found that her first daughter had the same problem. We loaded both of them and their calves up and gave them a trip to town. I had a yearling bull out of the old cow and new day a really good looking sucker he was on the trailer with the rest of the family. I don't want bad feet and I sure don't want to sell a customer a bull that could put bad feet in their herd.

Gizmom
http://Www.gizmoangus.com

VERY COMMENDABLE :D

Latest posts